Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,782,664 times

Advertisements

For those who want and need info on the latest and most up to date info from mental health professionals on the realities of the progression of bipolar disease in the elderly check out Bipolar Disorder in Seniors - Bipolar Disorder Center - EverydayHealth.com There is the chance of late onset in seniors over 50 and it plays out in very different ways than it does in the young. It is far more severe in the elderly and escalates over time. It is not to be taken lightly or ignored. a complete workup is advised and close monitoring by their psych doc--not their General Practitioner is the recommended course of action.

Other common symptoms in 60-plus adults include distractibility, confusion, hyperactivity, and psychosis. "When bipolar shows up for the first time after age 60, it can be quite severe," says Carrie Bearden, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology and behavioral sciences at UCLA and an expert in the disorder.
Often, it's the rapid-cycling form of the disorder, characterized by frequent episodes of depression and mania or having symptoms of both at the same time. As a result, bipolar seniors may appear to be in a state of irritable depression. Additionally, seniors with bipolar disorder show significant changes in cognitive functioning, including difficulties with memory, perception, judgment, perception, and problem-solving. Bipolar Disorder in Seniors - Bipolar Disorder Center - EverydayHealth.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
For those who want and need info on the latest and most up to date info from mental health professionals on the realities of the progression of bipolar disease in the elderly check out Bipolar Disorder in Seniors - Bipolar Disorder Center - EverydayHealth.com There is the chance of late onset in seniors over 50 and it plays out in very different ways than it does in the young. It is far more severe in the elderly and escalates over time. It is not to be taken lightly or ignored. a complete workup is advised and close monitoring by their psych doc--not their General Practitioner is the recommended course of action.

Other common symptoms in 60-plus adults include distractibility, confusion, hyperactivity, and psychosis. "When bipolar shows up for the first time after age 60, it can be quite severe," says Carrie Bearden, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology and behavioral sciences at UCLA and an expert in the disorder.
Often, it's the rapid-cycling form of the disorder, characterized by frequent episodes of depression and mania or having symptoms of both at the same time. As a result, bipolar seniors may appear to be in a state of irritable depression. Additionally, seniors with bipolar disorder show significant changes in cognitive functioning, including difficulties with memory, perception, judgment, perception, and problem-solving. Bipolar Disorder in Seniors - Bipolar Disorder Center - EverydayHealth.com
Thanks for the link - that makes for some interesting reading!

In a way it makes me feel better that my mother's bipolar disorder did NOT show up in her later years - it's been a part of her life for as long as I can remember. Hers has actually become less severe over the years, as I mentioned before, because of her stroke (which did actually change her personality significantly, which is a common occurrence from a major stroke) and because her bipolar disorder was aggravated by severe PMS, which lessened markedly after menopause.

But even from what you've posted here, I do see more distractibility and confusion in her. It's hard to tell where the bipolar disorder, the after effects of the stroke, and age related dementia start and end.

She's an ongoing challenge, but she's my mother and I have a lot of sympathy for her.

Once again, thanks for the link.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:42 PM

Reading that link, it states this:

Quote:
seniors with bipolar disorder show significant changes in cognitive functioning, including difficulties with memory, perception, judgment, perception, and problem-solving.
I definitely see this in my mother - markedly so and getting worse at a pretty quick pace. It's alarming to see the acceleration of these symptoms, which do seem to be related more to her bipolar disorder rather than something like Alzheimer's but since she refuses to be evaluated by a mental healthcare professional, we don't really know (her doctors hae told her repeatedly that she needs a full mental evaluation but she insists they're idiots and don't know what they're talking about and are just after her for her money - everything's a scam.)

The article seems to be mainly focused on elderly people who are not diagnosed till over the age of fifty, which isn't the case with my mother, but it's still got some interesting information in it.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 AM

96 posts, read 176,158 times
Great thread. I can see both sides of the issue through the various posts.
And I have had to cut one *toxic* person out of my life in the past. My eldest sister and I have not talked since our fathers funeral....over 26 years ago. We only spoke then because we had to.
She was physically and verbally abusive to me our entire lives. (Started when she was 7 yrs old and I was 2 months old. She threw me out of a window. It escalated from there)
It is rather telling that her only child cut her out of his life as soon as he turned 18.

My husband's mother has treated him horrendously most of his life. He has forgiven her and now talks with her and visits her. They get along....okay. Not best buddies, but cordial.
He makes WAY more effort than she does. But he is happy to have contact, even though she still sometimes goes into a harshly critical rant telling him that he has screwed up his life, etc.

I am happier without my sister in my life, he is happier with his mom in his. Different strokes...

Old 11-21-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynyvyr View Post
Great thread. I can see both sides of the issue through the various posts.
And I have had to cut one *toxic* person out of my life in the past. My eldest sister and I have not talked since our fathers funeral....over 26 years ago. We only spoke then because we had to.
She was physically and verbally abusive to me our entire lives. (Started when she was 7 yrs old and I was 2 months old. She threw me out of a window. It escalated from there)
It is rather telling that her only child cut her out of his life as soon as he turned 18.

My husband's mother has treated him horrendously most of his life. He has forgiven her and now talks with her and visits her. They get along....okay. Not best buddies, but cordial.
He makes WAY more effort than she does. But he is happy to have contact, even though she still sometimes goes into a harshly critical rant telling him that he has screwed up his life, etc.

I am happier without my sister in my life, he is happier with his mom in his. Different strokes...
Good example of different perspectives, neither of which are wrong. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this level headed response to an emotional topic.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,249,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
With my father, I know he suffers being lonely, well he would be lonely with me too. I can't fill that hole he has. But I realized I make him sicker. The last time, not long ago, he got on meds after being injured, his friend talked me into seeing how much better he was. So I agreed to start a phone relationship with him. After a while, I realized it was actually making him sicker. I reminded him of the bad old times. It triggered problems. But it was also too much for me. Even on the phone, it was affecting my mental and physical health. It wasn't good for either of us. I think it sometimes does benefit the person who is being faded out, or cut off, etc.
I understand what you're saying. When we visit my side of the family, it's always awkward. I feel as if i'm interrupting something.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 AM

13,670 posts, read 10,047,085 times
It is not enough to set boundaries, retrain people, act as if you have it all sorted out on paper - if you nonetheless continue to harbor resentment.

You can cut people out, live with them on your own terms, whatever you decide to act out that you choose.

However - if you allow them to invade your mind in a way that continually consumes you, regardless of your outer actions, whatever they may be - then it is all for naught.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It is not enough to set boundaries, retrain people, act as if you have it all sorted out on paper - if you nonetheless continue to harbor resentment.

You can cut people out, live with them on your own terms, whatever you decide to act out that you choose.

However - if you allow them to invade your mind in a way that continually consumes you, regardless of your outer actions, whatever they may be - then it is all for naught.
Bingo. Well stated!

Once we're adults, people only have as much control over us as we allow them to have. And carrying around hurt, or anger, or resentment, or anxiety, etc gives them control over us whether we ever see them or not.

That's why I am a huge believer in seeking treatment and cleaning our OWN house out before we decide how we need to handle the difficult people in our lives. Of course I'm not saying that we should tolerate abuse - not even for a minute. I'm just saying it's best to make long term decisions about important relationships from a healthy, honest perspective than from one that's still hampered by damage and baggage.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 AM

13,670 posts, read 10,047,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bingo. Well stated!

Once we're adults, people only have as much control over us as we allow them to have. And carrying around hurt, or anger, or resentment, or anxiety, etc gives them control over us whether we ever see them or not.

That's why I am a huge believer in seeking treatment and cleaning our OWN house out before we decide how we need to handle the difficult people in our lives. Of course I'm not saying that we should tolerate abuse - not even for a minute. I'm just saying it's best to make long term decisions about important relationships from a healthy, honest perspective than from one that's still hampered by damage and baggage.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to hammer home your point continually - it's as if you think we're incapable of comprehension.

I take issue with your distinction between difficult and abuse. I would venture that a lot of people in true toxic relationships are so immersed/dependent that they can't tell the difference. Therefore waiting to take action until you're all sparkly sorted if you're in a "difficult" (read abusive) relationship but can't/won't see it is not only tragic in many instances but downright dangerous. I realize that YOU are making that distinction but you aren't the only consumer of this thread. There are people on the precipice who would welcome such an excuse to delay the inevitable.

It's no good attempting to clean house while someone else is trying to burn it to the ground.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM

96 posts, read 176,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

It's no good attempting to clean house while someone else is trying to burn it to the ground.
^^^This.
This is why my sister is no longer in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships