Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Mine is boring and funny at the same time.

Part of my first name and part of my last name combined which also represents what I often got to hear from my parents because I am clumsy and they said "ooooooooooh, Eve..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Was listening to Nirvana's School when I joined. Just happened to come on my iPod.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
There aren't a lot of usernames available, so you have to make something up that makes little sense, like I did.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:34 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
One of the largest forums online about the use of a category of electronic equipment, allows nothing but real names to be used. On other forums, I always either designate my real name as my user-name or if that's not allowed, I sign my posts with it. I want to get full credit and take responsibility for what I say. On the forums where you must have a user-name other than your real name, I use nicknames that were given to me by other people, without any suggestion on my part. If you write a letter to the editor of a newspaper, you are required to use your real name. The employment of user-names that are fabricated for online purposes, seems to me to be a statement that what is being discussed is not real, but is in an imaginary, electronic world. I don't regard the Internet that way, but I see it as just one more type of an extension of communication that is very much a part of what previously took place with personal contact.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 09-21-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 06:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
An eon ago when I was in the Navy, I was an Engineman 2/c.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I just got tired of choosing User names, and I just thought "Who cares?" So I just typed that in followed by my birthday.

It's funny how people take that to mean that I am completely blase' about life and issues -- which is usually not the case at all -- but I guess I really can't blame them!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In real life, we don't usually choose our own names (though I guess we could if we really wanted to). But on line, we get to do just that!

When we choose a user name, I think it can't help but represent some part of our psyche, whether we intend for it to or not. People will generally form some sort of opinion or first impression of us by our user name.

Personally, I chose my user name because I have great respect for Catherine of Aragon - in case someone out there doesn't know, she is a true historical figure, the first wife of Henry VIII, and I greatly admire her faith, her tenacity, and her dignity. She is an inspiration to me often, though I rarely reach her level of integrity!

However, sometimes people misread my name. I've had people think I was a big Lord of the Rings fan (Aragorn - LOL). If they're thinking that on the front end, they've already reached some erroneous conclusions about my inner life and my personality! Not that I don't like JRR Tolkein but it's not like I'm some sort of Lord of the Rings groupie!

I've also had people misread it - intentionally or not - as Arrogance. This always reminds me of an unfortunate tendency I have of coming across as arrogant when I write. I don't talk like I write, so IRL I don't get accused of arrogance, but when someone accuses me of it online, it's an indicator to me that perhaps that is a part of my psyche and I need to be aware of it and temper it. So though it was unintentional on my part, I have become aware that some people respond to me online with the thought of "Arrogance" bolstered by my user name.

What are your thoughts about user names online? Do you pay much attention to them? Do you find that they often indicate something about the user's personality? Do you think that yours is an accurate indicator of your own personality?
As a British history fanatic, I got the reference right away (although I had no idea if I was correct).

Mine is a term used in dog showing. It means a dog who knows that when they are in the show ring, and you have no means to bribe or threaten them to behave, and they act however they want. It means you can't be fooled.

It's also been my license plate, and I've had guesses that I'm a boxer, or sell jewelry.

I do pay attention to them, and assume they have a personal meaning, which does influence my opinion of them.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
I am a member of the ancient and honorable order of ECV, and my name.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I just got tired of choosing User names, and I just thought "Who cares?" So I just typed that in followed by my birthday.

It's funny how people take that to mean that I am completely blase' about life and issues -- which is usually not the case at all -- but I guess I really can't blame them!
Oh jeeze, so many times I've sort of taken yours to think you didn't care about the thread or what anyone had to say!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
My first name is Jen, my last starts with K. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships