Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,695 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. So my fiancé is a full time college student. She has teamed up with 2 other students in her class. Her presentation is due tomorrow and neither one of her partners on the project has worked on their parts. Last night, one of her classmates called at midnight to ask questions on what parts of the presentation needs to be done. I got upset because of the obscene hour of which he called (over the course of this entire semester he has done this several times). I obtained his Email address and was going to send him a polite but to-the-point message saying how inappropriate it was to be calling that late and because my fiancé is pregnant, she needs all the sleep she can get (takes her quite some time to fall back asleep once waken).

My fiancé, however, feels as though I should let her handle this because she doesn't want a confrontation at school. I've seen how she handled him the last time he called and texted late at night about a school project, and the guy kept calling and texting irregardless. So, I think I need to drive the point home to him that he really really needs to excercise etiquette and consideration. Am I in the wrong for contacting him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:17 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Yes.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes.
So I am in the wrong for contacting him? And then just continue to tolerate this person calling at ridiculous hours? I feel as though my fiancé isn't doing a good enough job informing this individual of how rude it is calling at that hour. And even if she doesn't mind, I do. I like my sleep.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,293 times
I assume that your fiancee is an adult woman-let her handle her business in her own way. It is up to her to establish limits with her classmates/colleagues. She will have to learn how to do this at school. at work and even with you. It's admirable that you want to rush in and help her out but in the long run that would be detrimental. You can't (and shouldn't) step in every time that you feel she needs to handle a situation differently. She either needs to tell people to call before a certain time or let the answering machine pick up.
Just because someone calls or texts you doesn't mean that you have to reply to them that very second.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I assume that your fiancee is an adult woman-let her handle her business in her own way. It is up to her to establish limits with her classmates/colleagues. She will have to learn how to do this at school. at work and even with you. It's admirable that you want to rush in and help her out but in the long run that would be detrimental. You can't (and shouldn't) step in every time that you feel she needs to handle a situation differently. She either needs to tell people to call before a certain time or let the answering machine pick up.
Just because someone calls or texts you doesn't mean that you have to reply to them that very second.
Ok, I understand what you mean. It's just so dang aggravating to be woken up at night. Her dad is in the hospital and so she thought it was the hospital calling with bad news.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 AM

452 posts, read 898,666 times
If this keeps happening 6x's in a semester then you may want to ask your fiancé that he refrains from calling. Hopefully she doesn't have him in anymore classes. Your fiancé is trying to keep the peace and also trying to pass the class and it appears she is pulling her weight and the others. Commend her for her patience since you are looking out for her well being and your bambino. She needs all the rest she can get and let her know that if you haven't already she is stressed out being pregnant, dad health issues, and going to school. Try not to get her stressed out more with coming in between, your intentions are only good. Know in the end you are correct with not calling after 10:00 and believe in karma.

I am sorry to hear about her dad.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
If this keeps happening 6x's in a semester then you may want to ask your fiancé that he refrains from calling. Hopefully she doesn't have him in anymore classes. Your fiancé is trying to keep the peace and also trying to pass the class and it appears she is pulling her weight and the others. Commend her for her patience since you are looking out for her well being and your bambino. She needs all the rest she can get and let her know that if you haven't already she is stressed out being pregnant, dad health issues, and going to school. Try not to get her stressed out more with coming in between, your intentions are only good. Know in the end you are correct with not calling after 10:00 and believe in karma.

I am sorry to hear about her dad.
Thank you for the well wishes. Her dad was admitted to the ICU about a week and a half ago for pneumonia that spread to his blood stream. Thank you for reminding me to not stress her out further. Sometimes I get so frustrated and bullheaded that I loose perspective. I will refrain from contacting him. However, if he calls again at midnight , God help his soul I don't answer the phone first lol.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Yes, it would be inappropriate.

Would you do the same thing to a co-worker of hers?

The guy obviously has problems, given that he is asking about his duties at midnight the night before it's due and calling people at midnight after they have told him not to. But your fiancee has to handle this.

If you don't like the way she is handling it, you have 2 choices: Talk to her, which you've done, or back off.

This is a growing and learning experience for her, too.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Thank you for the well wishes. Her dad was admitted to the ICU about a week and a half ago for pneumonia that spread to his blood stream. Thank you for reminding me to not stress her out further. Sometimes I get so frustrated and bullheaded that I loose perspective. I will refrain from contacting him. However, if he calls again at midnight , God help his soul I don't answer the phone first lol.
Well, you really don't belong on C-D if you're going to be all mature when people disagree with you. Good luck to you, your gf, her father and your child.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hey guys. So my fiancé is a full time college student. She has teamed up with 2 other students in her class. Her presentation is due tomorrow and neither one of her partners on the project has worked on their parts. Last night, one of her classmates called at midnight to ask questions on what parts of the presentation needs to be done. I got upset because of the obscene hour of which he called (over the course of this entire semester he has done this several times). I obtained his Email address and was going to send him a polite but to-the-point message saying how inappropriate it was to be calling that late and because my fiancé is pregnant, she needs all the sleep she can get (takes her quite some time to fall back asleep once waken).

My fiancé, however, feels as though I should let her handle this because she doesn't want a confrontation at school. I've seen how she handled him the last time he called and texted late at night about a school project, and the guy kept calling and texting irregardless. So, I think I need to drive the point home to him that he really really needs to excercise etiquette and consideration. Am I in the wrong for contacting him?
Let your girlfriend deal with your own battles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships