Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How did they fit in the booth? Same former beer drinking Air Force friends would sit at the bar or table.

Sheesh, even if we went to the movies, they kept a seat between themselves. We spent months traveling together on projects.

It's customary for four adults to be able to sit in a booth, whether your AF buddies could fit or not. I somehow think they could, if they were adhering to the AF physical standards.

What's your point? You questioned whether or not alcohol could be served in the county this happened in on Sundays. I offered to send you the name of the county (you declined the offer). You questioned how much they could drink in what amount of time (how would I know that? I only know what we saw.). Now you're questioning how they fit into a booth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Now they were climbing into the vehicle when the call was made?

If I saw a bunch of drunk guys climbing into a vehicle, my call would not be to their boss.
Let's use some powers of deduction.

They are the only people in the small restaurant wearing the particular company uniform. There is only one truck matching that uniform in the parking lot. I'd say the odds are very good that they are going to be climbing into that vehicle. Which they did.

As I stated before, my husband called after it became obvious they were rip roaring drunk, and a few minutes before they clambered up into the truck. And he was right - they drove straight to the yard. Where their Ops Mgr was going to meet with them much sooner than they expected to see him.

Oh by the way, it is a violation of company policy for them to be drinking AT ALL in public while wearing a company uniform or driving a company vehicle. The liability issues are enormous.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's customary for four adults to be able to sit in a booth, whether your AF buddies could fit or not. I somehow think they could, if they were adhering to the AF physical standards.

What's your point? You questioned whether or not alcohol could be served in the county this happened in on Sundays. I offered to send you the name of the county (you declined the offer). You questioned how much they could drink in what amount of time (how would I know that? I only know what we saw.). Now you're questioning how they fit into a booth?
Not that they fit, but would four guys even sit in a booth.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,555,374 times
Quote:
Frankly, I would not want my friends getting involved in my company business - I think it crosses a line unless there is really no other option and people are in danger. In this case there was another, more proper and neutral option. Alerting the manager ans suggesting that these men should not be served any longer, in fact should be driven home to alleviate any risk to themselves or others and liability on the part of the restaurant.
You really wouldn't be grateful to a friend who alerted you to the fact that your supervisor and his crew were drinking on company time, intending to go back to work while drunk,, driving your company vehicle and then heavy machinery and hauling dangerous chemicals around? While representing your company and your reputation, in your company uniforms?

You'd really rather your friend not let you know about this? You'd rather these employees ruin your reputation, and possibly put you in the position of being liable for a dangerous chemical spill? Perhaps lives lost because of this? The possibility of someone being injured or killed by a drunk driver who was your employee in your uniform in your company car at the time?

You'd really rather not know?

Please explain to me why not knowing the above would be preferable to you, if you owned the company these guys worked for?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I would talk to the drinkers directly and remind them of company policy. I'd also let them know that I would help them get their act together, return the vehicles to the yard safely, and talk to their boss directly and work something out.
Really? Even after they had been rude to you when you asked them politely to please quit cursing so loudly because your family and other families were sitting right next to them? You think three drunk guys would respond positively to this sort of intervention?

You're welcome to do that if you ever have the opportunity but I doubt it would have a positive outcome. And my husband would have had to call their boss anyway - because Ops Mgrs don't work on the yard on Sundays usually. So what would be the point? How is my husband going to "work something out" when the men were in violation of numerous company policies, as well as state laws and state and federal safety laws regarding their industry? You think my husband, who doesn't even work at that company, could pull up into their yard with a bunch of drunk employees, report this to whoever was there, and "work something out?" You think those guys would have given him the keys to the company vehicle and let a total stranger drive off with it?

Wow~

Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Now they were climbing into the vehicle when the call was made?

If I saw a bunch of drunk guys climbing into a vehicle, my call would not be to their boss.
Don't these places see this going on all the time?

I haven't been to our local small Chili's in a while, but the big drinkers all sit at the bar. There is another restaurant bar that has a large patio area. It's always full of oil field guys.

I do t think they have roadblocks, but the police probably watch closely at closing time.

Honestly, here in Texas, we have outrageous DUI stats. Not that I approve, just the way it is. If you are out and about, you have to practice defensive driving.

13,473 posts, read 9,987,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I find it fascinating that people often defend their actions by saying they are being "honest" or are simply confused, etc.

Are you really saying that if you owned the company that hires these guys, you wouldn't want your personal friend to call you and tell you that one of your supervisors and his crew were drinking on company time, during their shift, in company uniforms, and behaving badly in those uniforms while representing your business?

I would find that to be an unsuccessful business model. Please explain why you would prefer your friend NOT call you with this information. I'm ever so curious.
I'm not confused.

Let's review the story. I don't see anywhere that they're personal friends of the manager.

And, suddenly he's calling after seeing them pile in the company vehicle, which is not apparent in theinitial post, which says he calls while getting their license plate out in the lot.

In this post, they had just gotten off a job, in subsequent posts they were going back to work to kill everyone with their wobbly operation of heavy machinery.

Now what I think happened is the guys got a bit rowdy in the bar after work, (not during a shift) as oilmen probably do, and while it's not the best form to ignore requests to tone it down a bit, their actual mistake was to blow off MrAragon, which is quite clearly stated below. No mention here of being worried for life and limb.

Now is it nice to get drunk and ribald in front of children? No. I am also of the opinion that it's just as rude to get people fired.

Quote:
Ooooh, time for a great story! (A true one.)

My husband, his young son (about age 14) and I were having lunch after church on a Sunday and the restaurant was so crowded we sat in a booth in the bar area - with other families around us as well.

Behind us, still wearing their oilfield company uniforms, were three guys getting roaring drunk over lunch. They were cussing, dropping the F bomb, talking very inappropriately about women, etc. They were sitting right behind my stepson and me. They were also getting up a lot, wiggling around, and jostling our booth seat constantly. Meal ruined.

My husband has worked in the oil and gas industry for decades, and knows basically everyone in management at the various oil and gas companies around here. He got up and walked over to the guys and said, "I'd appreciate it if you'd tone down your language and your demeanor - I'm here for lunch with my wife and son and we can hear every cuss word you're saying."

Well, their mistake was to get smart with him. "Yeah, right," one of them said and rolled his eyes. They got quiet for about 30 seconds and then the snickering started and before we knew it they were back in business.

My husband walked outside, snapped a photo of their license plate on the company vehicle they were driving (emblazoned with the company name that was also on their uniforms) and then made a phone call - to their operations manager, who confirmed that yes, they had just gotten off a job. They had a short and to the point conversation.

My husband came back in and told me, "None of those guys will have a job tomorrow morning."

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
Quote:
Let's use some powers of deduction.

They are the only people in the small restaurant wearing the particular company uniform. There is only one truck matching that uniform in the parking lot. I'd say the odds are very good that they are going to be climbing into that vehicle. Which they did.

As I stated before, my husband called after it became obvious they were rip roaring drunk, and a few minutes before they clambered up into the truck. And he was right - they drove straight to the yard. Where their Ops Mgr was going to meet with them much sooner than they expected to see him.
So he called their boss before they even got up from the table, let them get behind the wheel knowing they were drunk rather than alert the manager (or the police) of the potential danger? That and your gleeful description of this as a GREAT story, is why people are thinking it has more to do with your husband feeling disrespected (after all their mistake was to smart mouth him right?) than his concern for the safety of others.

Since he approached them to settle down but only called their boss after they didn't, would he have even called anyone had they not disrespected him?

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-08-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Really? Even after they had been rude to you when you asked them politely to please quit cursing so loudly because your family and other families were sitting right next to them? You think three drunk guys would respond positively to this sort of intervention?

You're welcome to do that if you ever have the opportunity but I doubt it would have a positive outcome. And my husband would have had to call their boss anyway - because Ops Mgrs don't work on the yard on Sundays usually. So what would be the point? How is my husband going to "work something out" when the men were in violation of numerous company policies, as well as state laws and state and federal safety laws regarding their industry? You think my husband, who doesn't even work at that company, could pull up into their yard with a bunch of drunk employees, report this to whoever was there, and "work something out?" You think those guys would have given him the keys to the company vehicle and let a total stranger drive off with it?

Wow~
Yes

Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Applebee's stated corporate policy is that it is the manager's responsibility to handle disruptions, and I'm sure other chains have similar policies:

(source: www.khou.com quoting Applebee's corporate response to an incident in Katy TX in which law enforcement was called.)

I've known our local Chili's to refuse to serve further rounds of drinks to rowdy tables during the daytime. I've witnessed this twice; both times they offered complementary appetizers and non-alcoholic beverages to the tables.
Our local Saltgrass is well-known for not tolerating young children away from tables. No complaints needed, the servers politely remind parents that the children for their own safety must stay at the table/booth. If escalation becomes necessary, the manager is quick to step in. They don't allow minor children to enter the bar area, a policy for which dh & I have given them kudos. The bartender told us the extra-high bistro chairs are deliberately chosen to aid in enforcement of that policy. We asked her if anyone ever challenged that rule and she said, "oh yeah, every week" but that once the parents discover their drink and food orders won't be served, they quickly move on.
Thank you for posting this, and clarifying that it is indeed the responsibility of management to handle these situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships