Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM

495 posts, read 612,754 times

Advertisements

Under the notion "he's not like typical guys he's a girly guy... Meaning he likes being with all the girls and doing the same activitues all the girls are doing and talking about not when with other guys"

Could this guy be seen as special by those ladies? I always wondered what the result would have been if back in college, not with the intent to hook up with any girls, just for the social experience...tried to join an inner circle of all girls as the odd male out

For example, I remember on the quad you would have guys playing frisbee and girls chilling in a separate area getting sun. What if as a guy, boldly sat with the all girls and partook in their conversation about girly stuff. For guys and girls in college today, what is the take on trying something like this?

Let me put it in retrospect
Back in high school, before college, I was at an artsy school with a high female to male ratio. I liked my lunch group which was 3 girls and me.

It wasn't about romantic anything, perhaps at most some side enjoying the encounter...it's some degree of enjoyment at a subconscious level without sexual innuendos

Last edited by Ericthebean; 12-12-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 11:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Under the notion "not like typical guys... Meaning he likes being with all the girls and doing the same activitues all the girls are doing and talking about not when with other guys"

Could this guy be seen as special by those ladies?
I always wondered what the result would have been if back in college, not with the intent to hook up with any girls, just for the social experience...tried to join an inner circle of all girls as a male
Depends on if you want to be seen as "good" special or "bad" special.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,884,097 times
They'd probably assume he's gay. Unfortunately, I see most people assuming 'girly guys' are gay automatically.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,291,845 times
let me guess, your mother dressed you in a pink tutu/pants and gave you girly dolls to play with??
and she wailed about gender stereotypes and made you pee sitting down??

but I like your strategy ...
be the gay friend, non threatening....
then they may ask you to go out with them

Old 12-12-2014, 12:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,973,494 times
Quote:
Under the notion "he's not like typical guys he's a girly guy... Meaning he likes being with all the girls and doing the same activitues all the girls are doing and talking about not when with other guys"

Could this guy be seen as special by those ladies? I always wondered what the result would have been if back in college, not with the intent to hook up with any girls, just for the social experience...tried to join an inner circle of all girls as the odd male out

For example, I remember on the quad you would have guys playing frisbee and girls chilling in a separate area getting sun. What if as a guy, boldly sat with the all girls and partook in their conversation about girly stuff. For guys and girls in college today, what is the take on trying something like this?

Back in high school, before college, I was at an artsy school with a high female to male ratio. I liked my lunch group which was 3 girls and me.

It wasn't about romantic anything, perhaps at most some side enjoying the encounter...it's some degree of enjoyment at a subconscious level without sexual innuendos
Seems like pretty good strategy to me.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:29 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,579,790 times
Give it a go and report back.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,288,969 times
Quote:

Could this guy be seen as special by those ladies?
Only if by "special" you mean "gay"

Old 12-13-2014, 04:03 AM

732 posts, read 970,539 times
Quote:

I used to often hang around girls, and it's one of the reasons some people thought I was gay or bi (not that some people don't still, partly due to my effeminate appearance). Not that other guys didn't also sometimes, but they tended to do so in groups. I sometimes got teased by male friends (and even acquaintances & strangers) when I was the only guy hanging around girls I wasn't dating and when my male friends were going somewhere without our female friends and I stayed with the girls.

Imo, I think it's much better for hetero & bi guys to hang out with girls if they're looking for dates than it is for asexual guys (such as myself) and gay guys to hang out with them because the propinquity effect causes more than friendship attractions. It's why I no longer get too close in friendships with hetero & bi females nor gay & bi males.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 AM

9,888 posts, read 14,171,418 times
Quote:

What do you think girls sit around and talk about that is specifically "girly stuff"? Tampons, eyeshadow, and tu-tus? My friends and I were likely talking about an interesting class, a TV show we liked, problems with someone, etc. Conversations that any gender would have, really.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 AM

51,021 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:

You would have been seen as their gay buddy. They would have loved you, but none would have dated you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships