Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times

Advertisements

My family has many bad tippers, such as leaving $5 on an $80 tab for good service, or $2 tip on a $40 tab for good service. I've read stories about offering to take care of the tip or placing more tips on the table, but then the bad tippers at the table could feel insulted or feel that you tipped too much. Another option I read about is getting up and discretely handing the server a tip on the way out or near the end. I'm not sure that telling them what I think about their tipping practices would get me anywhere.

Anyone have a good solution for these situations? I find it particularly concerning when it occurs in places I frequent, or with people I know, or at exclusive places where the clientele are potential clients or partners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 11:18 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
My family has many bad tippers, such as leaving $5 on an $80 tab for good service, or $2 tip on a $40 tab for good service. I've read stories about offering to take care of the tip or placing more tips on the table, but then the bad tippers at the table could feel insulted or feel that you tipped too much. Another option I read about is getting up and discretely handing the server a tip on the way out or near the end. I'm not sure that telling them what I think about their tipping practices would get me anywhere.

Anyone have a good solution for these situations? I find it particularly concerning when it occurs in places I frequent, or with people I know, or at exclusive places where the clientele are potential clients or partners.
My dad told me not go people who are known bad tipper
I just tip a little more.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:24 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Just say you're going to put more into the tip and do it.

If they question it, just say 15% or more is the standard for good service and leave it at that.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I just say, "Thanks for picking up the check, I will get the tip."

Old 12-23-2014, 11:46 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,756 times
Maybe they don't know they should tip more, and if they do know, then they should feel some shame of you putting down more. Would you rather hurt the cheap, insensitive bad tipper's feelings, or deprive the server money that can make a big difference to them towards earning a living?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I just leave a tip for my part of the bill. Put it by my plate and don't discuss it.

I've actually gone out with someone who picked up the tab - and picked up the tip I left!!!! Not kidding! Not a good friend. Because of the situation, I didn't say anything, but did not go out with them again.

Often if someone tells me they will pick up the tab, I then offer to leave the tip, or at least contribute my share.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I always say it's only fair if someone else is buying dinner that I cover the tip. If they have a problem with how much I tip, that's their issue.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

We never leave the tip on the table anyway so thanking someone for the meal and telling them we will get the tip is easily done.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:35 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:

So what I do is make an excuse to go near the waiters' station or the front desk and leave extra cash with waiter or maitre d'/ host.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Honestly, I've stopped eating out with known bad tippers as its just plain rude and inconsiderate of them; note, I'm talking about bad tipping for good service. But, in the off chance that I'm eating with "new" people that I come to discover are bad tippers, I'll either try to get them to increase their tip by saying something along the lines of "do you think we tipped enough?" or, if that fails to bring about some common sense, I will pay the difference myself and cut those people from my dining out list. I'm cheap myself and tipping is one reason why I don't like to dine out. But, when I do dine out and I experience good service, I make sure to leave an appropriate tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships