Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I use a computer at work and at home, but mostly for writing and Internet surfing. There are some things the younger generation just THINKS of, though, that I would have no clue about.

Example: A couple of year ago, I bought a digital camera. The digital camera came with a cord thing that you can use to upload photos to the computer. Now I have two computers, a desktop I bought in 2002 and a laptop I bought in 2009. My daughter showed me that there was a slot for the picture card on the laptop--I didn't have to use the cord. But then when I was uploading photos to the desktop, she said, "But you have a newer printer--doesn't the PRINTER have a slot for the picture card?" She looked, and sure enough it did, and she seemed puzzled that I didn't look for it.

How on earth would it have ever occurred to me that there is a place on the printer to slide in the card? How would someone even think of that if they didn't know it?
The features of these products are usually printed on the box or instructions.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wow, I am so glad my adult children help me out with devices from time to time. I plead guilty to having trouble with our remote. I will be so happy when we get a new TV with (I hope) a simpler, more intuitive remote.

Those of us not brought up with a computer do have more problems with electronics. We didn't learn the stuff until we were older. And then what we learned became obsolete! Cut your family some slack. But you could let them know that you don't appreciate the complaints. I think your unhappiness about that has merit.

Now, to your basic question. I have contemporary friends, usually female, who fear the computer and all its manifestations so much they haven't tried to learn anything. So, yes, I have to make myself remain patient. I learned stuff after all in the workplace. And I learned other things when highly motivated or when I had to. But some of us (previous generation from you) have never gotten over the fear of electronic controls. Maybe we were prevented from touching our dad's or husband's stereo set. Or maybe we messed something up long ago, and have always worried about messing up something else.

Or maybe we are a little lazy.

Who knows?

Some day 35 years from now you will be probably as befuddled as your parents are now with the new generation of whatever has replaced the obsolete technology of your younger days.
I don't think we will be stumped, because we were curious enough to figure things out or learn. Not afraid. And I do believe fear is a big factor. My sisters are afraid they will break something or launch a nuclear strike somewhere in the world!

One is still afraid of her stove. And she has been "cooking" for 60 years.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't think we will be stumped, because we were curious enough to figure things out or learn. Not afraid. And I do believe fear is a big factor. My sisters are afraid they will break something or launch a nuclear strike somewhere in the world!

That is interesting. My mom is afraid of her stove, too.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I agree with you OP. Sure my parents taught me a lot, they also expected me to learn on my own the older I got. I'm not still asking my parents how to do laundry or how to drive a car. I don't mind helping a little bit, but when it's continuous and obvious that they make no effort to figure it out on their own, I get frustrated. All I do to figure out how something works is to tinker and see what happens. I wasn't born with that knowledge. You can fool around with a lot of technology and not ruin anything. Just see what menu takes you where, etc. There's a difference between being stumped and needing help, and just automatically asking for help without trying first. I helped my dad when he got a new computer. It was his first time with Windows 8 and I already had a comp with it so I helped him. To his credit, he hasn't asked many questions yet. Ironically, both parents complain when my 80 year old grandma can't figure out her flip phone or something else with her tv, etc.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also, if you get too tired to deal with being tech support to family or friends, you can trot out an acronym this one coder friend of mine likes to use a lot...

RTFM

Read The <bleep!> Manual!

Or you could tell them that the issue seems to be a PEBCAK error...

(Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.)

Anyone else know any other funny ones? I remember reading some a while back but I forget...
PICNIC.....Problem in Chair not in Computer

(after surveying the issue)..."oh wow, what a PICNIC this is!"

Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

It's not fear, as you get older you will see. I remember my parents not being able to figure out a VCR. I could run circles around my dad (IBM electrical engineer) with a DOS computer. I couldn't believe it. Now as I get older, it's not as intuitive.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:02 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
I consider myself relatively tech savvy for a non-IT person, and now that I have a job even I have trouble keeping up with every new gadget or Android UI update or what-have-you. Staying on top of technology basically requires you to make it your hobby, and not everyone can do that.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Thread will remain closed due to the amount of rudeness, personal attacks and borderline trolling posts.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-31-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships