Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Cinderslipper, that behavior was amazing. Was some of it alcohol-fueled or do you think the bimbo is like that even sober? Just shows you can take the girl out of high school, but even decades later, you can't take the high school out of the girl....
The bimbo is like that even sober.

I had coffee with her.

Her conversation revolves around her gastric surgery, clothing size, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Ok, how would YOU deal with THIS -

Just this week, I was out dancing.

The band is a regular one, they are very good, have a following mostly of older people.

A woman I know through this band and I, were dancing.

Unfortunately I have a shockingly bad hip at the moment.

This other woman, who is a brainless bimbo age 55, started IMITATING my dance style, pointing, laughing.

All good fun, but it went on, and on.

Three songs of this later (I have many breaks) I lent over to her and said "I know I dance funny, my hip is killing me, you really don't need to make fun of me in front of the crowd".

Her response was (I kid you not) to point and laugh and limp SOME MORE.

I lent over to her and said "go away" and amazingly, she did. she left the dance floor and went and sat in the corner.

Of course, I kind of forgot about this weirdness, silly as it was.

Imagine my SHOCK when, after the gig, the Lead Singer of the band verbally attacked me in the street asking me What I had Done To Upset the Bimbo.

Yes, this Old Lady had run and squealed to a third party. Why, I have no idea. Attention?

What would YOU say or do in this RIDICULOUS situation?

PS, the entire reason I was with her in the first place is because she'd called me and asked me out for coffee a couple of months ago, never heard from her since so WTF?

I would not have let this bully push me into dancing if I was in pain. Anyone who acts like this is a sadist or smoking something interesting or both.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I was four years old when I lost my Dad, sad enough. For some time after that it was like living in a frozen, dark, cave. No one bothered to talk to my brother and me so we really did not understand what was going on. One day we were allowed to go outside and the sunshine felt so good that June Ohio day. We saw some neighborhood kids out a few doors away and ran to meet them but we were greeted with taunts; ha ha you Daddy died. Both of us turned and ran home crying.

My soul so wishes I could trust a friend or neighbor but the pain of their cruelty still lives on, but I'm sure they don't give a hoot, now or then.

Today, I try to be polite but distant.
That is horrid. Those kids sound like something out of a Stephen King novel. I have had my share of knocks. I still believe there are more good than evil people.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I would not have let this bully push me into dancing if I was in pain. Anyone who acts like this is a sadist or smoking something interesting or both.
I was dancing voluntarily, bung hip or not I still got to shake my thang.

She was just sort of, imitating and teasing my style. pointing, laughing, etc. Cos I admit, its very heavy on the shaking shoulders lol. I do the hippy shaky twist without moving one leg.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 AM

67 posts, read 167,609 times
I think that some reasons are:

-The majority of the people you meet when you go out are extroverts. Introverts are sitting at home and don't engage in as many social activities. And, introverts are better listeners. Whenever I have a problem, I would much rather talk to one of my introvert friends because they won't cut me off like an extrovert will

-People start to care less of what others think of them as they get older. I have social anxiety, so I don't think I'll ever relate to this

-People are so caught up in their own lives

-People need someone to vent to

Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
I think that some reasons are:

-The majority of the people you meet when you go out are extroverts. Introverts are sitting at home and don't engage in as many social activities. And, introverts are better listeners. Whenever I have a problem, I would much rather talk to one of my introvert friends because they won't cut me off like an extrovert will
I find the exact opposite. Most of the people I meet on meetup are not life of the party types at all, rather introverted and either monologue or I end up drawing them out.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Talks of narcissism, rambling, topics that may be TMI, and being too serious got me thinking... where is the social sweet spot? First time meeting folks, I'll stick with the usual like...
weather
traffic
where you live (city or region, not an address)
job/company
interests
other interests
how long you've been doing this MU or this stuff
how long you've lived in the area
certain current events

.... However, as I get to know certain people more and more, when can you start talking about more serious stuff? Problem is, if those topics above are all you ever talk about, then things are pretty much going to be stuck at acquaintance level. However, one must cautious, as if they just want to keep it casual, let it be.

As far as some folks being like this, I reckon someone of them may be "socially awkward" themselves. Hell, if they weren't they'd already have more friends.

Also, I generally don't mind when certain things get too 'off topic'. For example, about retirements, 401Ks, insurance, job career trajectories, and even divorces... these things I'm interested in b/c everyone's got a story to tell, and such stories can be both entertaining AND teach a lesson. Hell, if we're at a MU for example, talking about something we're there to discuss, some folks can over do THAT too! I've had 3 couples... 2 I knew for years, and 1 sort of new talk about weddings. 1 couple already got married, another recently, and the final couple are upcoming. After 45 minutes of that, they looked at me and another single guy sheepishly and apologized for talking about nothing but wedding planning and stuff. One guy didn't mind. I didn't really either. It was interesting. I don't know what kind of wedding I'll have, but always interested to hear the facts of life and fiction. In fact, I ended up asking more about weddings here....
Having a wedding without the usual cast? Pros and cons?

As for "taboo" subjects? Sports.... usually can't relate to this for more than a few minutes. One MU, a trio of folks talked about Doctor Who for about 25 minutes. I ended up playing games on my handheld. I don't hold it against these folks, as they do have the right to fire up conversations on other topics, but I will just walk away and try to seek out others in the room then.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM

350 posts, read 653,823 times
I have the same problem as many of you have mentioned, plus I live in a state where it seems people are very SLOW to warm up to you. It may take a few years, and in my early 50s, I don't want to wait that long! (am considering moving out of this state, but mostly because of cold and grey!)

I would love a college/university for older adults - say 45 or 50, complete with campus and all - maybe even dorms. Probably unrealistic, but there would be the place to meet those not just interested in the mundane things of life (NOT that there's anything wrong with that!)

Old 01-27-2015, 03:41 PM

182 posts, read 370,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
I have the same problem as many of you have mentioned, plus I live in a state where it seems people are very SLOW to warm up to you. It may take a few years, and in my early 50s, I don't want to wait that long! (am considering moving out of this state, but mostly because of cold and grey!)

I would love a college/university for older adults - say 45 or 50, complete with campus and all - maybe even dorms. Probably unrealistic, but there would be the place to meet those not just interested in the mundane things of life (NOT that there's anything wrong with that!)
Not unrealistic at all. Many private universities in particular are realizing the appeal of just a lifelong learning scenario as you describe, and are partnering with developers to construct senior housing contiguous to their campuses. The seniors, many of them alumni of the schools in question, are encouraged to audit classes, partake of and participate in the cultural life of the campus, use the sports facilities, etc. The details of course differ from program to program, but this is a growing trend.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM

350 posts, read 653,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murtha View Post
Not unrealistic at all. Many private universities in particular are realizing the appeal of just a lifelong learning scenario as you describe, and are partnering with developers to construct senior housing contiguous to their campuses. The seniors, many of them alumni of the schools in question, are encouraged to audit classes, partake of and participate in the cultural life of the campus, use the sports facilities, etc. The details of course differ from program to program, but this is a growing trend.
Thanks for the info. I know there are adult ed courses and such , but lifelong learning programs actually becoming a reality is my idea of heaven! Will have to look into it much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships