Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

So there is someone whom used to be around and I like bugging and talking to. But after we part, there is no way to meet unless we go out. I was just trying to be friend originally, but he ended up saying we can go to lunch or dinner. I thought lunch meant friends and dinner meant romance, so I picked lunch. But later I read lunch can also be considered a date?? I was confused and stressed and with the different setting in a restaurant (a kinda nice one), I just don't feel like it went very well and I didn't have as much to say. At the end, I feel like he's getting away by talking about his own plan for the afternoon, but before he left he offered a hug and still said "Let me know if you're up for xxx restaurant."

Just not sure how to take this. Is that the same as "I'll call" or "I'll see you" but they don't wanna see you because no specific time was stated? Or is that really an offer? I have been thinking maybe I should just forget about it all and don't even bother being friends! It's always just me bugging him anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:04 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
It means the ball is in your court. He has some interest in seeing you again, but not enough to put a lot of time into it. Perhaps your lack of enthusiasm at lunch has led him to believe that you are not that interested in him so he's leaving it up to you. He's not going to spend time pursuing some one that is not that interested in him.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Perhaps your lack of enthusiasm at lunch has led him to believe that you are not that interested in him so he's leaving it up to you. He's not going to spend time pursuing some one that is not that interested in him.
That is what I thought.

Never heard of "Lunch is not a date". Why would a certain meal be considered off limits for you, OP?
Even breakfast can be a date!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 AM

587 posts, read 916,195 times
I'd let him know that you want to keep things platonic, assuming you still do.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
He was asking you out. However, you may have seemed so wishy-washy during lunch that he wasn't sure if you wanted to go out again. So he left the ball in your court

When he said " are you up to xxx restaurant" you could have replied, " Sure what's a good day and
time ? ".

Instead you wandered off into the sunset. Ball is still in your court. If you want to see him, respond soon before he writes you off as uninterested. Don't over think this.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Why don't you ask him? Sometimes our fears get the best of us and instead of being direct we go in a round about way (like asking an internet forum) what do to, how to figure something out.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smovertherainbow View Post
So there is someone whom used to be around and I like bugging and talking to. But after we part, there is no way to meet unless we go out. I was just trying to be friend originally, but he ended up saying we can go to lunch or dinner. I thought lunch meant friends and dinner meant romance, so I picked lunch. But later I read lunch can also be considered a date?? I was confused and stressed and with the different setting in a restaurant (a kinda nice one), I just don't feel like it went very well and I didn't have as much to say. At the end, I feel like he's getting away by talking about his own plan for the afternoon, but before he left he offered a hug and still said "Let me know if you're up for xxx restaurant."

Just not sure how to take this. Is that the same as "I'll call" or "I'll see you" but they don't wanna see you because no specific time was stated? Or is that really an offer? I have been thinking maybe I should just forget about it all and don't even bother being friends! It's always just me bugging him anyway.
If you want to be friends....take him up on his open invitation. Otherwise, why dwell on it....It was what it was, an open ended friendly invitation to eat a meal together. Nothing to fall on your sword about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships