Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times

Advertisements

Last night, DH and I went out to dinner with his father and father's girlfriend and DH's sister and her kids- we were supposed to be celebrating my FIL's birthday as he was out of town on the actual day. It was a pizza joint with games and all that jazz and we've all been there before. So, my FIL brought a bunch of quarters for the kiddos to go nuts with and while he had all of them playing I ordered the pizza, etc, for all of us.

In the end, DH and I ended up paying for everything- the pizza, the salad, the soda and a round of beers, so close to $75. We did not expect his dad or the girlfriend to pay or offer to pay for anything, given that it was my FIL's birthday celebration. But we at least expected my SIL to offer to contribute since she and her kids all ate and drank on our dime. And, if she wasn't going to offer to help out then at least say thank you- matter of fact, NO ONE said thank you to us. My DH asked me when we were leaving if anyone had said thank you to me and when I told him, "Nope!" he got pretty ticked off.

It ticks us off because we're a one-income family with not a lot of wiggle room at times while my SIL and her husband pull in more than 100K a year; not to mention that my SIL was telling all of us that they're going to buy a toy hauler, which she said would cost them 20K or whatnot and my FIL was telling us about the vacation house at the river he's wanting to purchase.

I told DH that it was our own fault because we didn't directly consult with anyone about sharing the costs and he agreed; it's just disappointing and so rude that no one even bothered to thank us. Live and learn, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
It does get frustrating. What will you do next time?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Next time I will look directly at my SIL or whomever is with us and ask, "How would you like to split the bill?" Assuming got us a hefty check and frustration; my DH is pretty disgusted with his father and sister right now but not entirely surprised. They have a tendency to be selfishly clueless, if that makes any sense.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Next time I would say "we paid last time, so now it's your turn!!"

Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Not to excuse their behavior but I think people with money sometimes tend to forget what it's like for people who have to watch their budget. I remember my mom complaining to me a few times how her brother and sister never offer to pay when they eat out together. They are millionaires while my mom is lower income. This type of behavior is probably quite common.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Not to excuse their behavior but I think people with money sometimes tend to forget what it's like for people who have to watch their budget. I remember my mom complaining to me a few times how her brother and sister never offer to pay when they eat out together. They are millionaires while my mom is lower income. This type of behavior is probably quite common.
I totally agree with the above, not that it excuses their behavior. And they should have thanked you. That is just common courtesy. When we go out for something like this, we all get separate checks and then everyone chips in for the birthday person's check. This seems to be working pretty well so far.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Next time I would say "we paid last time, so now it's your turn!!"
That's what I would do, in so many words. If they comply, great, you'll be even and you'll know how to handle things in the future. If they don't, well, I look forward to your next thread...
And in all fairness to your FIL, he did bring "a bunch of quarters" for the kids(yours as well?)to play with. I don't know how many quarters that is, but at least he contributed something.
I like your perspective, though. As frustrating as it can be, this is the way some people are, and I can tell from your post that you're not dwelling on it. It's like you said, we live and learn. I've seen families totally alienated by issues more petty than this.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,481 times
If there's a next time, I'd discuss it before we even pick the restaurant, then mention it again when the check comes. You can also take cash, put your portion on the table and let the others figure it out.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I'm wondering who extended the invitation, and how it was worded. Did you expect your FIL to pay for a dinner to celebrate his birthday? You husband needs to be very clear with his sister that the free ride is over.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
You should probably disregard my advice, because I don't do well in situations like that. I probably would have only paid for half of the FIL and FIL-GF, and my spouse and myself, in cash, and then handed SIL the check right then and there for her to pay the rest.

However, if I hadn't done that, the SIL would be getting an email from me saying only two words. "You're welcome." Let the twit write back and ask, "For what?"

"For not making a scene about the way you neglected to offer to pay for your share and not embarrassing you for not thanking us for covering the entire tab."

I can't stand that weaselly garbage. I really can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships