Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 AM

52 posts, read 43,778 times

Advertisements

Good morning to you. I have awakened on this Saturday morning determined to find ways to meet other intellectual types in the suburbs.

We live in a bourgeoisie suburb of the sunny Southwest. Our neighbors are pleasant people; we've made a few friends with other couples in the area. But these connections are deficient in intellectual discourse. It seems as if suburban Americana lends itself to more glib relationships, leaving us feeling intellectually underwhelmed.

I would so enjoy an occasional intelligent, civil tête-a-tête, even if such a discussion must take place at a local suburban cliché such as a Starbucks patio.

My dearest wife and I so desire an evening of polite, educated company, yet we often find that discussions with others wander toward plebian topics such as ridiculous celebrity escapades and other trivial banter.

Our intellectual backgrounds often conflict with religion, and although we could attend a local service at a house of worship of some kind, we would rather not be forced to assume counterfeit pretenses for the purpose of meeting others.

Have you any suggestions about how we should proceed with meeting others like ourselves, in the rather spurious suburban culture of the Southwest?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:23 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I will be reading the responses you receive with great interest, as my husband and i are in the exact same position.

We live in the Denver area, and if one does not love the Broncos, belong to a religious organization, or have kids, it seems as though he or she simply must forego any kind of social life. (We are mostly agnostic, now childless, and we would much rather read than watch TV.)

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I'm amazed that an intellectual can't figure out how to meet others interested in more than superficial conversation

Some suggestions

join the local historical society
join a local environmental, conservation, land use, etc. group
join a political party or other civic association
join a book club
for your ewife- join the League of Woman voters, the American Association of Unversity Women , etc.
Find your local colleges or universtiies and sign up for some classes you may find interesting
Attend college lecture series that are open to the public
More on colleges- look for Indie or artsy type film festivals which may have discussion groups afterward
Find your local Meetups- scroll through and find some groups that may interest you.
Develop hobbies- then find others with the same hobby

There is a ton of stuff to do that will put you in contact with other mentally stimulating people. However, you have to go out and find it. You can't sit back and wait for it to come to you. It's not likely to be your immediate neighbors. It will be your community. You can't be passive - this is one of those seek and you shall find type of situations. Start seeking- good luck

Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Join Mensa.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen in Scottsdale.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Perhaps drop the attitude that just because someone has children, believes in God or is into sports, they aren't intellectual. People avoid deeper conversations in early encounters to be polite. Find someone who doesn't have that filter to banter with. Or try to stop looking down your nose at them and get to know them on a deeper level.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:16 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Or try to stop looking down your nose at them and get to know them on a deeper level.
I opened this thread with interest, as I've had the same thought.

But I would rather forego intellectual discussions altogether than attempt to find common ground with someone as pompous as the OP.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:23 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Perhaps drop the attitude that just because someone has children, believes in God or is into sports, they aren't intellectual. People avoid deeper conversations in early encounters to be polite. Find someone who doesn't have that filter to banter with. Or try to stop looking down your nose at them and get to know them on a deeper level.
If you are referring to my post, I do not look down on people for any reason unless they are felons, too lazy to work, etc. Different people like and believe different things, and I did not say and I do not believe that I am better than anyone else because I don't have children living at home (now), I don't like to watch sports, and I prefer books over television. I am simply saying that it is difficult in our suburb to find people who like the same things we do (because churches, schools, and sporting events are all places where people congregate, while reading and nature trail walks are usually solitary activities).

Old 03-28-2015, 03:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Default I hear you!

I live on Long Island. I've given up and am moving back to Washington, D.C., as I don't consider Harry Potter to be literature, and I am not interested in the latest advancements in diaper technology any more than I am interested in the latest modifications to 20-year-old Camaros.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
If you are referring to my post, I do not look down on people for any reason unless they are felons, too lazy to work, etc. Different people like and believe different things, and I did not say and do not believe that I am better than anyone else because I don't have children living at home (now), I don't like to watch sports, and I prefer books over television. I am simply saying that it is difficult in our suburb to find people who who like the same things we do (because church, schools, and sporting events are all places where people congregate, while books and nature trails are usually solitary activities).
Well I was responding to the OP, as could be gathered by me not addressing you directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships