Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times

Advertisements

Only if I'm broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 03:20 PM

18 posts, read 39,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely_Girl View Post
Would you feel comfortable staying at someone else's (someone you've never met before) home?
My friend wants to do a cross country road trip to visit her family and such, and she's asked if I wanted to go to since I'm looking into moving to another state and I have enough time to take off for vacation but I'm hesitant because when we get to all the locations, we'll be staying at her families or friends home. I haven't met any of her family members since they live so far away so I'm really going back and forth..
Would it be/feel awkward? This would be a two week long road trip.
No, I'm not. I think it's perfectly natural to feel that way. Hopefully you'll meet everyone and they will make you feel at ease.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Only with close family or a romantic partner. I'd get a hotel before just staying with a stranger.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
For admitted control freaks, like myself, never, ever!!!

Even when I visit my relatives in MN, I always rent a room, even with my brother and sister begging me to stay with them!

Even if I fly to visit them and they say: You don't need to rent a car, we'll pick you up at the Airport, drive you around!

Same here! If I can't afford to rent a car, while there, I'll stay home!

Yes, it could be, you will miss out on some very enjoyable stays with these people, but why take the risk!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 PM

450 posts, read 507,464 times
Live a little... Go for it! It could turn out to be the best experience of your life even though you might have to sleep on a lumpy bed.

I have three childhood friends coming to visit me in two months (cross-country road trip). We haven't seen each other in over 20 yrs. I told them the bedding and bath situations that I have to offer and they all accepted! They don't care if one of them has to sleep on the couch or a blow-up bed or if they decide to share a queen or double bed room.

It's going to be a little like "camping" except we'll have multiple bedding/bath options, a roof over our heads, indoor plumbing, a full kitchen, electricity etc.

I can't wait! My doors are open and they know it. They might have better homes than me or maybe they don't, but none of us care about that. Good company, manners and trust is all that truly matters.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Would you feel comfortable staying at someone else's (someone you've never met before) home?
My friend wants to do a cross country road trip to visit her family and such, and she's asked if I wanted to go to since I'm looking into moving to another state and I have enough time to take off for vacation but I'm hesitant because when we get to all the locations, we'll be staying at her families or friends home. I haven't met any of her family members since they live so far away so I'm really going back and forth..
Would it be/feel awkward? This would be a two week long road trip.
I'd only feel awkward if my friend's (using your case as an example) family made me feel awkward and uncomfortable. Otherwise, I have no problem staying with "strangers."

Old 04-04-2015, 09:16 AM

546 posts, read 408,340 times
I'd base it on how your friend has described the friends and relatives you'd be staying with.

If there are clean-freak/slob or pet issues, you might consider elsewhere.

My husband won't stay even with close relatives he gets along with. With me, it depends.

I'll stay with my daughter if her live-in boyfriend is out of town. Nothing against the boyfriend, I like him and appreciate any chance to get to know him better, but I want to give them their privacy if he's there. But if I'm traveling with my dogs, I get a hotel regardless, too many animals in too small of a space.

I have siblings I would stay with, siblings I wouldn't. One has a home where dirt and chaos reign. Too much even for me, and I'm not at all a neat freak.

It all depends...

Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 PM

649 posts, read 569,843 times
I'm pretty introverted so I would probably be a little uncomfortable staying at someone else's house but if I had an opportunity like this I would take it. Go and have fun!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Only if I knew they had a big house. I wouldn't want to stay cramped up in a small house with strangers, and have everyone share a bathroom.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Yes to the RV. Friend had already suggested renting one.
Why do two young women need a whole RV? That would make me more nervous as it screams we're far from home, just the two of us. One of things when you travel long distance on the highways is not draw too much attention to yourself. What if your friend suggests pulling off the road at say a truck stop?

I would rather go in a regular car and either stay at the relatives/friends house or motels.

You have to consider where you plan on stopping and have you ever driven a vehicle that size. I mean if you plan on going into any cities, do you want to worry about parking it. I guess if you're just looking to go to rural areas it might be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships