Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:21 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

I always wanted to hire a noticeably pregnant woman that no one knows....raise her hand, and stand up

then say to the groom..." I'm going to name him, after you" then have her waddle away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
In real life, only a troll or an idiot would do that.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
If someone wants to say something they need to do so before the wedding or keep it to themself. This business of standing up at a wedding and objecting is silly not to mention self-centered and beyond rude. Way over the top dramatic and besides the day is for the Bride & Groom.

It sounds like something that was done in the Wild West Days - the cowboy rides up objects to the wedding and throws the bride over his should and gallops off in to the sunset - please, too much.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:58 AM

223 posts, read 321,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, but I have been to a wedding reception where the groom's uninvited grown children crashed the venue and initiated a full-blown brawl trying to get to the stage to get to their father What a night to remember!
Amazing. Why were the groom's children not invited?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:03 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Right out of a gypsy wedding.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We had had this line and also obey removed from our ceremony. We weren't together very long before becoming engaged, and had some pretty recent ex'es. Needless worry, though, I'm sure.

Originally, it was asked partially due to poor record keeping. In other words, "does anyone know if either of these people are already legally married?" No real need anymore.

What If Someone Objects at Your Wedding? | Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace
I'm surprised it took three pages to get to this!

They aren't really asking for anyone to object to the couple getting married except to prevent bigamy. That's why some churches post "banns" for three weeks before a wedding, to make a public announcement that a couple is getting married so that if someone knows one of the parties is already married, they can stop the wedding.

It goes back to old times when being born out of wedlock meant you couldn't inherit. If John was already married to Mary and had kids, but he left them and went to another part of the country and married Sarah and they had children, those children would be bastards and would not inherit if it was discovered the marriage was not legal.

Sometimes you didn't even have to be married, just have a "plight troth", or an official declaration of intent to marry. If you then married someone else, a claim could be made that the marriage wasn't legal.

History, people, history. Richard III claimed his brother, Edward IV, had made a plight troth to a woman named Nell Butler and then married Elizabeth Woodville, with whom he had nine kids or so. Apparently no one objected at their wedding. After Edward died, Richard claimed that Edward's sons could not be king--that HE was the rightful heir. Didn't help him any. He was killed in battle fighting for the throne, and they just dug up his body from under a parking lot in England a couple of years ago.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
No, and it's bizarre that there's even a line asking for it. The marriage is between the bride and groom only. No one else should feel entitled to any say on that.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:31 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I wasn't at the wedding but this did happen to a woman I went to school with. I guess it was the talk of the town. I think it involved inheritance issues and the fact that there is active mental illness in the family.

Such a shame. Must have been very uncomfortable for the Bride and Groom.

And yes, it turned out to be a huge mistake for them to marry.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
If I'm not mistaken, the reasoning for asking this is the same reasoning behind posting banns of marriage in the newspaper and in the church newsletter: To give the public time and a chance to expose a bigamist. Or, going back even further, a pretender, like an illegitimate child posing as a legal heir or falsely claiming a title.

It's not about, "so, should he/she marry this lying, cheating, drunk?" It started as a legal thing.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:28 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
The objection question was asked at a co-worker's wedding several years ago. A drunk co-worker in attendance decided to yell "give her the tongue" at that time. Many gasps followed. The couple is still married, with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships