Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:32 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I will say that OP seems to mistake "interests" for "who someone is fundamentally, as a person". What makes a person, to me, is how they react to the curveballs life inevitably throws. That's who they are, deep down. Watching that awesome Korean anime documentary is not who someone is, deep down. That's cool, but in the grand scheme of things it's trivial stuff.
This is a really great post! Who someone is, is not defined by what they do for fun and how often they do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I don't know that there is much to do about the situation other than find out if other people have had the same experience.

Lately I've been finding many of my old college friends (some of who were incredibly interesting) have become increasingly boring since school ended.

People who actually thought for themselves now increasingly have become mindless reality TV watching drones.

People change. Friends drift apart. I get that. But it seems like a total shift in personality.

It's enough to make you wonder if the people you knew were the people you knew at all.

Anyway, now I'm left wondering where have all the interesting people have gone?

That ever happen to you?
Sounds extreme. Maybe they weren't being themselves in college and were really just "playing up" the whole college experience. That would be one explanation. Or maybe life didn't turn out the way they thought it would or just had some life changing experiences along the way? I know I've changed alot since college and that's part of being a responsible, healthy, normal, and educated person. If I still acted like a 19 year old, then that would be cause for concern.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I know some people who became much more interesting after college.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well.
I will say.
Real life is a whole lot less intellectually stimulating than school.
College was awesome bc you're basically there to just spend time thinking, learning, critically assessing...
Real life is usually about a mindless set of chores set in front of you to accomplish. You can spice it up in your free time with books, travel, food, cool debates/conversations, but the day-to-day bills gotsta be paid.
I totally agree. In college, there were always new and interesting classes, fresh faces, nearly endless discussion about interesting topics, etc. The real world is much more rote and mechanized than college.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM

191 posts, read 212,108 times
I spend 10 hours a day at work (four 10's) and spend my 3-day weekends taking care of two elderly, health compromised family members who can no longer take care of everything themselves. Personal care for them along with taking care of their house which has sort of fallen apart over the years. One of those people just went into a nursing home so add those visits to the list. We don't get much help and I/we no longer have time to be interesting. Hell, we don't even have time to be couch potatoes.

If I had a friend or friends who deemed me no longer interesting because of the realities of life, well they are welcome to look for their entertainment elsewhere.

Life is a buffet but college for undergrads is only four years of life. At this point in my life being interesting to others is the least of my worries. I wish I had more time and know one day we will but for now it's work to make a living and work to take care of family. That's it, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships