Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, the judge will have the police come to force her to leave. That is the whole point of getting an eviction notice.

I am sure that when a couple of police officers come armed to your home with batons, tasers and guns that will be strong motivation for her to immediately leave. And if she did not walk out under her own power I suspect that they would call for backup and arrest her or just physically move her off your property.
If you have an eviction notice the police will absolutely come and evict her. She's playing you for a fool. Get the eviction notice and get her out. She hasn't respected your wishes and is using you. It's time to reclaim your life and home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
UPDATE:

My sister refuses to leave and unless we can get a court order we are stuck with her in our home.

She never leaves the house so we can't lock her out. If we could get her to leave she would become homeless and likely die out there. We just don't see what we can do.
Get the court order. Call a cab to take her to a homeless shelter.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Not really because they were mostly legal dry, "the hell with her" viewpoints. It is easy to say go get a court order to have her evicted but another to actually make it work. No judge is going to get a policeman to come to our house and force my 400 pound sister off the property. Even if that happened she would just sit across the street and camp out and stalk us.

Look dude.

You came to us complaining about the situation, so you must want to do something about it. The only way to force her to leave is to, well, force her to leave. Either put up with it or evict her. I don't know what you expected us to say.

And contrary to what some people posted, you can't MAKE someone lose weight.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

And contrary to what some people posted, you can't MAKE someone lose weight.
As someone with a life long weight problem I agree that you can't "make" someone lose weight.

But, in this situation the amount and type of food provided is totally beyond the control of the overweight adult. It was explained that the sister never left the house, plus the sister has absolutely no money. So she can not go to the grocery store, she can not go to a fast food place and she can not call for food delivery. The OP says that she does not have any friends or visitors so no one will be bringing her food to the house.

All that is left is the amount and type of food in the house. And, if the OP chose to lock his refrigerator and cabinets he could easily choose to limit the food that his sister eats. Actually, if the OP was a psychopath he could literally refuse to give her food and starve her until she voluntarily left the house to get help or dies . Obviously, I am not suggesting that he do that.

But if his sister normally eats 3,000 or 3,500 calories a day to maintain her weight of 300 or 400 pounds and the only food that she is given is 1,200 calories a day, yes, she will lose weight. Just like at those fancy weight loss camps.

Haven't you ever read newspaper stories about a young child or a handicapped person, or a frail or bedridden elderly person that became malnourished or even died because the person in charge did not feed them enough or correctly? A dependent person is totally at the mercy of their caregiver. They did not choose to lose weight but in their situation it was inevitable. Sadly, that has happened a number of times in my city.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-10-2015 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 07:19 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
As someone with a life long weight problem I agree that you can't "make" someone lose weight.

But, in this situation the amount and type of food provided is totally beyond the control of the overweight adult. It was explained that the sister never left the house, plus the sister has absolutely no money. So she can not go to the grocery store, she can not go to a fast food place and she can not call for food delivery. The OP says that she does not have any friends or visitors so no one will be bringing her food to the house.

All that is left is the amount and type of food in the house. And, if the OP chose to lock his refrigerator and cabinets he could easily choose to limit the food that his sister eats. Actually, if the OP was a psychopath he could literally refuse to give her food and starve her until she voluntarily left the house to get help or dies . Obviously, I am not suggesting that he do that.

But if his sister normally eats 3,000 or 3,500 calories a day to maintain her weight of 300 or 400 pounds and the only food that she is given is 1,200 calories a day, yes, she will lose weight. Just like at those fancy weight loss camps.

Haven't you ever read newspaper stories about a young child or a handicapped person, or a frail or bedridden elderly person that became malnourished or even died because the person in charge did not feed them enough or correctly? A dependent person is totally at the mercy of their caregiver. They did not choose to lose weight but in their situation it was inevitable. Sadly, that has happened a number of times in my city.
The OP actually has never elaborated on how the sister gets her food. She doesn't cook (?), so someone is cooking. Who is buying the snacks? Is she snacking all day, or eating calorie laden food? If the latter, who is cooking the food? If the former, who is buying the snacks? Are they cooking extra food for the sister, or is this the way that they normally eat?

IF this is how they normally eat, then why should the OP go through the extra hassle of making separate plans for someone who disrespects him so? This woman has caused enough disruption.

And if the sister is disrespectful enough to lay up in the house doing nothing, and refuse to leave, do you honestly think that she would abide by any restrictions that they give to her?

Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
Not really because they were mostly legal dry, "the hell with her" viewpoints. It is easy to say go get a court order to have her evicted but another to actually make it work. No judge is going to get a policeman to come to our house and force my 400 pound sister off the property. Even if that happened she would just sit across the street and camp out and stalk us.
That you care about your sister shows. But it sounds like you've just given up. There are options here. Have you tried talking to Social Services about getting her some kind of modest housing? You don't just have to accept this as your lot for the rest of your life. Talk to a social worker.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:57 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The OP actually has never elaborated on how the sister gets her food. She doesn't cook (?), so someone is cooking. Who is buying the snacks? Is she snacking all day, or eating calorie laden food? If the latter, who is cooking the food? If the former, who is buying the snacks? Are they cooking extra food for the sister, or is this the way that they normally eat?

IF this is how they normally eat, then why should the OP go through the extra hassle of making separate plans for someone who disrespects him so? This woman has caused enough disruption.

And if the sister is disrespectful enough to lay up in the house doing nothing, and refuse to leave, do you honestly think that she would abide by any restrictions that they give to her?
What much extra "hassle" is locking the refrigerator and cabinets or only cooking a reasonable size extra portion for his sister (if they cook for her)?

If she is indeed, 400 pounds (as the OP said in his last post) it takes A LOT of food each day to sustain that weight.

I suspect that it is something like the OP and his spouse may share one pizza for dinner and his sister demands an extra pizza just for herself. Or the sister, eats bag after bag after bag of Doritos or Potato Chips or pounds of chocolate in her room. If the OP did not buy all those extra bags of snack food and chocolate where would his sister get them? The High Calorie Snack Food Fairy? If the OP locked his cabinets, he and his wife could still eat the snacks that they buy but his sister would not have access to them.

OK, OP please come back and explain how your sister could have lived with you for months, not leaving the house or buying any food and either gained weight (from "over 300 pounds" in one of your first posts to 400 pounds now) or maintained that weight?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
What much extra "hassle" is locking the refrigerator and cabinets or only cooking a reasonable size extra portion for his sister (if they cook for her)?
You'd have to deface your cabinets in order to install locks on them. Installing a lock on a refrigerator is another big project and not easily done. Have you ever watched a show about super-morbidly obese people? They can be extremely crafty about sneaking food, having it surreptitiously delivered... I think it's not so easy to force someone else to lose weight. Otherwise there'd be no need for residential programs that exist to do that. Food can be an addiction, like anything else, and the addict has extreme willpower to feed their addiction.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
If she isnt leaving the house, the only food she will eat is what is there. Its not difficult to only buy fruits, vegetable, and meats that have to be cooked.

Im thinking the OP is leaving out a whole lot of info that would clear up this situation. She also really doesnt want a solution, because she's been given the correct legal avenues to deal with it.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

195 posts, read 231,490 times
My unemployed sister is well over 300 pounds. You are right I may have used the figure 300 pounds earlier but I looked at her recently and think it is closer to 400 pounds. I have never put her on a scale but she is so fat that people stare when they see her. Though the HUGE moles all over her face may them not want to look at her for too long!

Even with the moles, and her huge body and refusal to move out deep down she is a sweet gal. She was always the underdog when we were kids and people have always felt sorry for her. She never had any friends and her appearance made people avoid her. In theory we should kick her out but in practice it is dam hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships