Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:40 AM

424 posts, read 381,817 times

Advertisements

um the first amendment lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
They may be trying to start up a conversation and have no conversational skills. If they come up with the "eew, fish, I wouldn't eat that comment" an answer to that would be "Yup, it's an acquired taste. It's even better as sushi, but I can't keep it fresh enough until lunchtime to eat it raw. Plus it's hard to find good wasabi." With a reply like that, you're agreeing with them and putting them down a bit at the same time. They will either be confused about the sushi comment or totally grossed out. Either way is a "win" in my book.

When they make comments about whatever you're reading, just come up with something that agrees with them even if it's total BS. "So what lies are you learning from reading that book" can be replied with "oh, I'm just trying for a comparative worldview". That doesn't actually agree with them, but they can interpret it that way.

I think your coworkers have very few social skills.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTRfan283 View Post
This situation seems to only happen at work, but here it goes.

It seems like when I am on my break, someone random comes along and has SOMETHING to say about what I am doing/eating.

It is more eating than anything, but I will be in the break room and people will comment on my food, which I think is totally rude! I eat fish a lot since I am trying to lose weight and chicken as well and people seem to think it is ok to say, "Eww fish!" or (makes a face)"I wouldn't eat THAT". I finally had it when the 4th person finally did it and told them that they could walk away from my table if they didn't like what I was eating!

And its not contained to eating either! I was reading a college book on political science which is something I do in my spare time, and some guy came up that I was somewhat acquainted with and asked me what lies were the teachers having me read. Wth? Lies? I told him it was written by four people, so if there were lies, then someone would have caught it.

So I am stuck wondering, what gives people the right to come up and insult the things that I like/eat?

Do they think I am a push over? Or are they just that comfortable with talking to me about it? Idk, I kinda feel like they are being haters for no reason at all.
Should this question get moved to a forum more suited toward Constitutional questions or maybe Educational questions. It is a Constitutional question. The question could be re worded. "Which amendment grants citizens Freedom of Speach?"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...s_Constitution

Amendment 1 - National Constitution Center

Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 7,670 times
Quote:

It seems like when I am on my break, someone random comes along and has SOMETHING to say about what I am doing/eating.

It is more eating than anything, but I will be in the break room and people will comment on my food, which I think is totally rude! I eat fish a lot since I am trying to lose weight and chicken as well and people seem to think it is ok to say, "Eww fish!" or (makes a face)"I wouldn't eat THAT". I finally had it when the 4th person finally did it and told them that they could walk away from my table if they didn't like what I was eating!

And its not contained to eating either! I was reading a college book on political science which is something I do in my spare time, and some guy came up that I was somewhat acquainted with and asked me what lies were the teachers having me read. Wth? Lies? I told him it was written by four people, so if there were lies, then someone would have caught it.

So I am stuck wondering, what gives people the right to come up and insult the things that I like/eat?

Do they think I am a push over? Or are they just that comfortable with talking to me about it? Idk, I kinda feel like they are being haters for no reason at all.

It's just idle chat.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
LOTRfan283: I agree with you, I don't like people commenting on my food.
I don't comment on someone else's food unless it's positive (to say it looks good).
Why would anyone tell someone their food looks bad?!?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM

412 posts, read 545,768 times
Ha! This is something that bugs me, too. I like to eat a variety of foods all the time and I always used to have people asking me how I can eat this and that or that I'm weird because I ate sushi before it was cool or something.

I'd just ignore it, although these are things I haven't dealt with since I was in middle/high school. Most of the people that did that to me back then already had something against me so I guess it was their way of trying to draw attention to me and laugh.

I don't know if those people you are dealing with are the same. They may just think they are being funny or are genuinely baffled by what you eat. Fish can sometimes smell up a room. I didn't know it was an "weird" though. Where do you live?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:

People are starting to think out loud....and lack manners...my sister and I were discussing this the other day...about people who you go out to eat with and this really bugs her, but people who cut up their meat all at one time, instead of cutting a piece and eating it. Now to me it's a small thing, but a lot of people don't even realize, it's considered bad manners to do so.

Anyway, you did good, you go to lunch break to wind down, not to be put on the defense about what your eating.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:13 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Sometimes I'd have sardines, or jack mackral for lunch, so I'd sit some where others might not be offended by the wonderful aroma.
Seeing what I'm eating and sitting with me, is a choice they made ,so I don't sweat it .no matter what they say . I simply say it's something I like once in a while , healthier than other choices .
I usually fill the empty moments, if not in conversation ,I draw on different projects I have going on at home, and some at work.
Some one offering an opinion about somethng i'm reading , I might actually enjoy the ot side input of some one elses opinion. I don't have to agree or disagree , just listen.
I gladly invite the interest of others ,then if the relationship is good, we can find some good common ground.
If it appers to be relationship I'd rather not pursue, I clearly express my fixed opinions on certain issues, and usually the situation normallizes.
Know your self, and where you are willing to learn and where you are not.
Most of all know "why" you believe what you believe.
Then you are in control of your envionment.
If some one was flagging you down to warn you the bridge is out up ahead , shoudl you be angry at them ? no
Criticism can be an act of kindness, don't be too easily offended.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Some people just try to fill in any silence with noise. That might be their way of making conversation with you, even though it is not pleasant to you. I would just laugh it off. Who cares what they think anyway? I guess some people would say it is better than being ignored. At least they are noticing you.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Ipod + ear buds.

No fish.

Problem solved.
Heck, you don't even have to turn the iPod on. Just put the ear buds in. It works well on trains and planes, parks, and any other public situation where you don't want someone to speak to you. Ear buds are a universal sign for "don't talk to me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships