Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you attend the gay marriage ceremony of family if you are strongly against gay marriage?
YES 29 33.33%
NO 47 54.02%
No Idea 11 12.64%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times

Advertisements

Philosophically, I oppose marriage because marriage is unnatural--only humans feel the need to have marriage ceremonies, bindings, licenses and financial & property sharing of couples.

Also, I'm asexual, and I view marriage similarly like sex because marriage involves a sexual relationship. I don't want either for myself.

I perceive homosexual marriage as neither better nor worse than heterosexual marriage.

However, just because I'm anti-marriage for myself it doesn't mean I'm a selfish, inconsiderate person. I would never stand in the way of other people's pursuits for happiness, and other people marrying has no effect on me.

I vote in favor of allowing homosexual marriages, as I would if it were heterosexual marriages being debated, but I really don't think we non-homosexuals should have a vote at all in what is really an issue that should only be voted on by homosexual people.

Homosexuals are a minority, and so non-homosexuals voting on whether to allow homosexual marriages isn't much different than voting on whether to allow interracial marriages in a time when one race is dominant... or like men voting on whether to give women the right to vote in an era when women weren't allowed to vote. In those scenarios, "democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch".

I prefer not to attend marriage ceremonies of any kind, but I have a very few times and would still if persuaded to by a good friend or relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 04:50 AM

287 posts, read 327,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
I can still be their friend and family member even if I don't support their right to get married because of a religious reason.

I have many people I am close to that I don't agree with their lifestyle or political views.

PLEASE, only reply to this question if you are strongly against gay marriage.
I seriously doubt a Gay family member would even invite someone they know is strongly against Gay marriage to their wedding. Example- my mother's sister is outright prejudiced against Blacks and she openly states that she just doesn't like Black people whenever the subject of race comes up in conversation. If I were to get engaged to a Black woman I would not even consider inviting her to my wedding, even though I love her dearly.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:34 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
They're psychotic schizos. Obviously, you would blame them, not the deity they'd believe in.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
First of all, I'll put this up front and say I'm a gay man living with another gay man.

It is an impossibility for someone to be "close" with someone but then opposes equality for that person. Every time I hear a hater say "I have a lot of gay friends blah blah blah", I laugh internally. It's like saying I have a lot of chicken friends and then proceed to eat their chicken friends.

So, the OP question doesn't even make sense. You are close to me but you oppose my right to be happy in my short life on this Earth? How does that even make sense?

Personally, I'm more of a coward, so I choose not to associate on a personal level with any hater. The only exceptions are my immediate family members.

Not inviting any hater to my wedding. Jesus might tell them to shoot us during the wedding or something. Never know with schizos.
I attended a very close friends gay wedding and I am against gay marriage. I am not strongly against it, but I am against the use of the word marriage. I have no problem with civil unions and totally understand the need for couples to be able to be able to share and protect assets as I have seen what can happen when one partner dies who owns the home and the nasty family comes in and takes the home that both worked so hard to create.

Civil unions would have granted all of the rights but this was not about rights.

I was, and am, very happy for my friends. I think civil unions would have passed over a decade ago. I really hate the courts having to get involved to take a side in this issue.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Loving someone is not an all or nothing concept. You can agree with or disagree with some things about the other person and still love them. Disagreeing with some things about the other person does not make you a hater.

I don't know if I'd go to a wedding or not. Distance has often kept me away from weddings. I'm more likely to go if I think the two people truly love each other and are committed for the long run. If it's your third or more marriage, I'm staying home.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
I'm not against gay marriage - but my parents are.

My mother didn't go to my cousins wedding (her niece of course) due to religious reasons, and that bothered me strongly that she didn't go. Also, she was also afraid of what her parents would think . I went to the wedding,(flew up from FL to go to it!) and it was a beautiful ceremony, and my uncle (mom's brother) was there. My mom kind of felt bad afterwards that she didn't go when she learned her brother was there, but she kept saying she was against their wedding and it wasn't the way she was brought up.

When my grandparents found out I went? They scoffed at it and remarked, "You went to that wedding?" The way they said it seemed like they felt it wasn't a real wedding.

Mind you, my cousin lives in MA and gay marriage had been legalized for over 10 years at that point. I'm so happy my cousin has found the love of her life. I've never seen her happier. Her wife completes her.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Then this question is even sillier. Because OP stated at least twice he only wanted people to respond if they were strongly against gay marriage. Then he said he supports it, yet he attempted to ban others with the same views as he from sharing here on this thread. Curious
Finally someone who sees the red flag....

There's a history here most posters aren't aware of..... Meet Jane and Jerry.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
......Not inviting any hater to my wedding. Jesus might tell them to shoot us during the wedding or something. Never know with schizos.
Not even close if you've ever read the New Testament.

On the other hand, if you've got any friends (schizo or not) that follow the Koran, you'd be in a flaming heap o' trouble

Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
No, because I support gay marriage, my question just tried to understand how far people would go who did not support it, when friends or relatives are involved.
I saw an interesting article on this, how people changed their moral ideas about homosexuality when it involved a friend or relative. Basically how the Bible was unchanging but........... Whatever one's conscious allows them to do I guess.

I would explain to the friend or relative that I was not comfortable attending the wedding because of my beliefs. I have no intention of compromising my morals to support lifestyles that I believe are morally wrong

The one thing that confuses me about your question is that in the case that the friend or relative themselves were homosexual and you normally associated with them acting as though you were comfortable with their lifestyle and relationships, then I would think you would support gay marriage also and if not, that is much more sticky sort of pretending you accept but in reality not really accepting. A lot of people are that way.

Upfront, no, I will not compromise my beliefs to make other people feel good about their choices or the choices of the children, friends or other relatives. Sort of like if they were on a sinking ship, I wouldn't jump on with them. God gave you free will but He also gave it to me.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I saw an interesting article on this, how people changed their moral ideas about homosexuality when it involved a friend or relative. Basically how the Bible was unchanging but........... Whatever one's conscious allows them to do I guess.

I would explain to the friend or relative that I was not comfortable attending the wedding because of my beliefs. I have no intention of compromising my morals to support lifestyles that I believe are morally wrong
This is my problem. I don't have a problem with a person declining the invitation or saying no. Using it as a soap box is pretty boorish. I am not sure how you would be "compromising your morals" either.
Quote:
The one thing that confuses me about your question is that in the case that the friend or relative themselves were homosexual and you normally associated with them acting as though you were comfortable with their lifestyle and relationships, then I would think you would support gay marriage also and if not, that is much more sticky sort of pretending you accept but in reality not really accepting. A lot of people are that way.
I do not support gay marriage because I think it is an attempt to get back at religious people and force acceptance. I fully support civil unions. I think this opens a much broader problem where courts will be used to redefine words for convenience which is actually a powerful tool.
Quote:
Upfront, no, I will not compromise my beliefs to make other people feel good about their choices or the choices of the children, friends or other relatives. Sort of like if they were on a sinking ship, I wouldn't jump on with them. God gave you free will but He also gave it to me.
Yeah, this God schtick makes me laugh. If you want to be a jerk at least be man enough to stand up on your own without dragging God into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships