Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:19 PM

102 posts, read 310,936 times

Advertisements

Would love outside opinion on this...

A friend recently initiated plans for a short vacation. I agreed to gather the details of the trip (I get travel discounts through my work, so it made sense for me to do this).

When I reached out to my friend to discuss/finalize the details (literally the next day), she was busy. No worries- I let her know we could chat another time. No word from her after another few days. I sent her a text to see if we could chat since some of the info was time sensitive. No response. I found it odd..what could have changed in 24 hours?

Two weeks went by and NO word from my friend. I called (pretty much assuming the trip was off, but at least wanted to hear from her because of the principle of the matter). She told me she could no longer go, work got busy, and she had no time. Although she could have handled it much differently I decided to leave it at that.

Fast forward 2 weeks (the week our trip should have been), and I start seeing her tagged in photos online...ON VACATION...with other people. WHAT THE HELL?

I didn't confront my friend because i believe actions like this speak loudly. I decided really not to even reach out anymore.

A week later, she called me, and I of course asked her about this. She told me that the trip happened super last minute. A friend of hers got a great deal, and invited her to join. She has since asked to hang out and I'm really just hesitant, and am having a hard time "feeling it". I will say that although this has been the "biggest" incident of this nature, other things on smaller scales have happened with her, but I really try not to dwell on things...no one is perfect.

Has anything similar ever happened to you that you "got over" and you remained friends? Am I overreacting and need to get over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 02:40 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
This incident and smaller ones, do you even want to be friends with her? and if yes, why?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:48 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Ask her if she had a good time on vacation then tell her you will be *busy* for the rest of your life.
Block all contact and move on.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Maybe NOT so much a friend.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post

A friend recently initiated plans for a short vacation. I agreed to gather the details of the trip (I get travel discounts through my work, so it made sense for me to do this).

When I reached out to my friend to discuss/finalize the details (literally the next day), she was busy. No worries- I let her know we could chat another time. No word from her after another few days. I sent her a text to see if we could chat since some of the info was time sensitive. No response. I found it odd..what could have changed in 24 hours?

Two weeks went by and NO word from my friend. I called (pretty much assuming the trip was off, but at least wanted to hear from her because of the principle of the matter). She told me she could no longer go, work got busy, and she had no time. Although she could have handled it much differently I decided to leave it at that.

Fast forward 2 weeks (the week our trip should have been), and I start seeing her tagged in photos online...ON VACATION...with other people. WHAT THE HELL?

I didn't confront my friend because i believe actions like this speak loudly. I decided really not to even reach out anymore.

A week later, she called me, and I of course asked her about this. She told me that the trip happened super last minute. A friend of hers got a great deal, and invited her to join. She has since asked to hang out and I'm really just hesitant, and am having a hard time "feeling it". I will say that although this has been the "biggest" incident of this nature, other things on smaller scales have happened with her, but I really try not to dwell on things...no one is perfect.

Has anything similar ever happened to you that you "got over" and you remained friends? Am I overreacting and need to get over it?
Not hearing from her while you are making plans with her would already be a huge deal to me. What if you would have spent money already, non refundable?
I may forgive her for that.

But all the other stuff you mentioned and this together adds up to too much to handle.

I don't believe in ghosting so I would tell her what's up and quit the friendship.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:00 PM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
I would've just responded to one of the pictures with "you are trash" and never said anything to her again. If mutual friends asked I would tell them the story. That's it.

She could have easily told you at any time that she couldn't go on your trip and didn't. She knew you were looking around for details- and ignored repeated attempts at contact? I've known people that do stuff like this and it's best to cut them out of your circle 100% of the time.

I don't have that much info, but was she just asking people who could have discounts through work, and the best vacation idea that she could afford won? (The next day after you first talked about the vacation, she talked to someone else with a better deal and forgot she talked to you in the first place...?)

Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:

She got a "better offer" and went with someone else. She isn't a good friend. Why would you want to be with this person ever again?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
This person has been incredibly rude and shabby in her conduct toward you. In the age of the cell phone is there an excuse for not contacting a person and keeping them up to date on proposed plans?

In your place the next time she suggests getting together I would just say very briefly and very quietly that you feel that she treated you shabbily, and you aren't comfortable having her as more than an acquaintance now. Period, no drama. And goodbye.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
This incident and smaller ones, do you even want to be friends with her? and if yes, why?
This. It sounds like there's a pattern of behavior on her part that isn't really working for you. Feel free to move her to a back burner, while moving others to a front burner, or finding new friends. Honestly, it doesn't sound like there's much reciprocity here. At some point, it may get to be no longer worth the aggravation.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:10 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:

Absolutely not.

You weren't even worth 1 minute of her precious time to let you know via text she is no longer interested in going on a trip with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships