Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post

What do you think I should do?
Get a parakeet.

[maybe a fish tank]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Take yourself and the dogs to obedience training and start doing fun things with the dogs.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:48 PM

269 posts, read 371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Congrats on one of the most ridiculous posts in C-D history.
And to you on one of the rudest.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
They are great people, but I'm not some random hobo they let live with me. I've been good friends of theirs for years, and I lost my home a couple weeks before due to an abusive living situation.

It's my place as much as theirs, I pay as much as they do. But yeah, I'm not complaining or anything, I'm grateful, just expressing my annoyance with the dogs lol. I don't blame my roommates, it's just a sucky situation. I think they are as irritated with the dogs as I am!
Just because you split the bills equally does NOT mean that it is "your place as much as theirs."

To rent an apartment, you have to go through a long, expensive and frustrating process...you have to fill out an application, make sure your references know they will be getting a call, pay a (often high) fee for a credit check and background check, put down a payment that is first months' + last months' + rent amount for deposit, contact the utility companies, go through a credit check through the utility companies and give THEM a deposit, etc..plus, on top of all of that, I'm sure your "friends" paid an additional pet deposit (which was probably significant).

You know that and must not be able to do all of that since you "would be homeless if it weren't for them." If you were so unhappy and were "equal" to them, you would go and get your own place. But, duh, that's hard for broke people and/or losers, so they bum off of friends yet act like they own the place.

So no, just because you pay equal amounts of rent each month does NOT mean that you have as much invested in the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Exactly. High pitched talking will excite a dog and brisk walking makes you prey to chase. Dogs that WANTED to attack you would have with that behavior.

Here's the deal. Dogs are dogs and they won't know if their behavior is inappropriate until you teach them otherwise. Most dogs are easy to train once you find the right method and currency for that particular dog. I would start by getting them each a bed to lay on in the living room and teaching them to stay on their bed while you eat or do other things. It won't happen over night, but with CONSISTENCY, it will work. Exercise and food puzzles for mental stimulation are good for tiring a dog out. Tired dog = happy, well behaved dog.
This is true. My two dogs get SUPER active in the evenings for some reason. So now, after dinner, I take them for a long walk...about a mile each way. Then, we play in the yard with balls and toys for about 15-20 minutes. When I bring them in, I give them each a bone. We have a few small throw rugs (that I can toss in the washing machine every week or so) that they lay on while they chew on their bones. That usually keeps them entertained until bedtime. I usually take them out one more time after that, but they usually use the bathroom and are ready to come back in and go to sleep.

Once you figure out your dogs, they're fairly easy to care for. I love being active with my dogs. It keeps them healthy and stimulated, and the extra exercise is good for me, too. I think there are a lot of "bad dogs" out there that would be "good dogs" if their owners spent enough time with them. Also, my dogs have a fairly big yard to play in (our lot is 3/4 of an acre), but we still have to get active with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I feel you. Dogs are everywhere these days. People have made up for their lack of good relationships and general social skills by just having dogs and instagrmming or snpchatting their pics all day and generally treating them like people, which they are not. I think you'll find that the human-dog dynamic is strongly contingent upon the human's ability to provide food. Take that away, and I'm sorry, the relationship falls apart. Your dog does not love you. Your dog does not know your name. Try talking to a humanoid sometime, people.

Anwyway, roommate has a corgi and it flips out completely anytime anyone comes home or if another dog so much as walks by the house. I'm talking 10 minutes of insane barking. I wouldn't mind if she got lost and never found her way back.

Now you know how I feel about dogs.
You've never been close to a dog or cat, so you wouldn't understand. My oldest dog and oldest cat have been with me for years, well before I met my husband. They've been with me -- and my husband -- through very lean times. They still loved me when food was lean. Money was so tight that we had $4 in change to last a whole week, and I'd buy a $1 bag of cheap, nutrition-less cat food from the dollar store and would spend the other $3 on ramen noodles. Hubs and I would eat the noodles, and I'd stretch the cat food by adding the broth from our ramen noodles to the cat food and would feed both my cat AND dog with it.

I'm not proud of it, but that's how it was, and guess what? My babies still love me and always did. In fact, my babies knew when things were particularly hard and would lick the tears off of my face when I was crying because of how tough things were.

It's sad that you feel the way you do because it shows that you have never seen or felt the unconditional love that an animal really has.

Oh yeah, and if you think they don't know your name, you don't know my babies. My hubby can say, "Go see L****" or "Go see mama!" and they damn sure come running, and vice versa.

Sometimes, hanging out with humans sucks. You seem like the sour type who I would rather pass up to hang out with the husband and dogs. Hell, C-D alone is proof that a lot of human beings are sour lemons or jerk-offs. Every old friend I have tries to take advantage of me financially. My furry family members don't do that.

Last edited by lkmax; 07-17-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
oops.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:00 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
"I prefer cats because even if they can be mean and aggressive, at least they can't kill you!"

I'm not too sure about that. My son's cat is a hissy, high strung little beast. I'm sure that she'd like to scratch my eyes out, trip me, then eat my brains. She's just waiting for the right moment.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:29 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Either speak to your roommates about how the dogs are tearing everything up and how you guys need to train them or move.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 AM

160 posts, read 163,246 times
Originally Posted by soUlwounD
Nobody should follow milan he is abusive control freak with negative force.

How so?

I like to know too.
I'm a control freak at work because I'm driving 60 foot vehicle.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:15 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I feel you. Dogs are everywhere these days. People have made up for their lack of good relationships and general social skills by just having dogs and instagrmming or snpchatting their pics all day and generally treating them like people, which they are not. I think you'll find that the human-dog dynamic is strongly contingent upon the human's ability to provide food. Take that away, and I'm sorry, the relationship falls apart. Your dog does not love you. Your dog does not know your name. Try talking to a humanoid sometime, people.

Anwyway, roommate has a corgi and it flips out completely anytime anyone comes home or if another dog so much as walks by the house. I'm talking 10 minutes of insane barking. I wouldn't mind if she got lost and never found her way back.

Now you know how I feel about dogs.
Actually, now we know how much you don't know about dogs.

Dog brains and human brains evolved together. They are our evolutionary puzzle pieces. It's not all about food. My father's hunting dogs never received any food from me, but they followed me around, played with me and watched over me. One time a 6-month-old pup threw himself between me and a large stranger, barking for all he was worth because he thought I was in danger. It was my dad's 6'4'' cousin, so I definitely wasn't in danger, but still - it was quite sweet of the little guy.

Moreover, most of the people I know with dogs are extroverts who have wide social circles. Heck, even the introverts have wide social circles because of the people they have met through the dogs and dog sports they are involved in.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
OP, the only solution is to either find a new place or to educate yourself about dogs and take on the training of these animals. None of the issues you describe are insurmountable - it's pretty easy to train dogs not to do most of those things. Well, begging, if they are already in the habit is hard, but my roommate's dogs quickly learned not to bother with me because I don't give them treats or share my meals with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships