Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that I don't encounter this too often but I do find it incredibly rude when I'm hanging out with someone and they have their face buried in their phone. I had a friend who used to invite me to hang out and then she'd just text and FB or who knows the whole time. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand but instead just stopped hanging out with her. I figured I could just email her instead and make things easier for both of us. I was also recently introduced to a friend's new boyfriend who I had heard so many nice things about and he could barely look up from his phone for two seconds to say hello. I thought it was incredibly rude. Both of these scenarios involved people about a decade younger then me. I do wonder if it just gets wore and worse with every generation.

I also hate when I'm out in public and people are so engrossed in their phone that they almost run into you or block you and just generally are not even present in any way shape or form. And the people who are texting on their phones in traffic. That really is irritating because it is so dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
I live near a resort where paid parking is paramount. The new meters do not take debit cards etc, (it has the card slot blocked) The change machines are blocks away and many don't work. What these meters request is for the driver to download a mobile app in order to pay the meter. This does have advantages in that sitting in a restaurant for example one only has to pay through their smart phone. However, I'm not using Data on my phone, and I surely don't feel like downloading apps while meter maids are eyeballing me. I swear at every meter paying junction a crowd of people where scratching their heads, walking in circles, staring at their phones.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:55 AM

137 posts, read 177,643 times
I think its so rude when you are hanging out with people who just sit on their phone the whole time! Like why dont you just go home then? If we are suppose to be hanging out then lets talk not have our phones out the whole entire time. I do have a bad habit of being on fb alot out of boredom so a few days ago I deactivated my fb and deleted the app off my phone. I did that a few months ago as well and stayed off it for a good 4 months.

I miss the days when cell phones were pretty non existent! lol

Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
put the damn phone down and hang out with your family
AMEN, from the choir.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 AM

266 posts, read 281,479 times
My sons got me a smart phone two years ago. A Samsung something or other. Average about 6 minutes a month. Learned how to answer a call about 3 months ago.

Made it through 68 years without one.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
There's something to be said for the simplicity of this kind of phone. Pickup receiver, listen for dial tone, dial 7 digits (even 5 in small towns), call connects. Capable of excellent duplex sound. At one time one could be found in almost American home. They are almost non-existent now.

The Western Electric Model 500 (1949-1984)

Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I didn't mention the computer when talking to my sil. She would go into the 'I don't do that, waste of time, hurts my back, etc' and then say she didn't want to hear about it. Like I really enjoy all the crap about her neighbors....

But her daughter sent her a smart phone and set up a Face Book account. She's been having to charge the phone a lot more than before since she spends so much time on Facebook. I'm glad she's loving it, but I still am not interested, and now instead of the neighbors tells me all the stuff she's found.

I'm sometimes tempted to remind her how she hates computers. But I'd rather hear about Facebook than the neighbors....

Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Sorry, I was checking Instagram, did you say something?

In all seriousness, I leave my phone in my car while I'm at work, and sometimes will check it when I go on lunch. So I basically go from 9ish to 5ish without my phone, outside of checking it for important messages for about 10 minutes.

However, I'm pretty guilty of having my face buried in my phone when I'm in social settings, on dates (lol) or hanging out with ladies/friends. I joked with my roommate the other day about how once I find out I'm doing something social that night, I need to make sure my iPhone is charged to at least 90%.

Believe it or not, I'm not as tethered to my phone as much as I used to be (age 26).
LOLOL!!

Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
If you are going to show up......be present

Old 09-16-2015, 11:45 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
AMEN, from the choir.
Again, unless I'm hanging with you and ignoring you or almost slamming into you on the road, it isn't any of your business. I'll stare at my phone all I want and anyone who doesn't like it is free to make the biggest pouting whiny boo-hoo face all they want, while I continue to realize that it isn't any of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships