Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Depends on the convo.

There with a close friend discussing personal details and goings on in our lives...stay out.

At the bar with a couple buddies talking sports or cars or some general topic....open to others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
It's a risk because some people get more annoyed than others. Last time a stranger butted in a conversation of mine was several months ago, and though it was a very light topic I still got annoyed with him. I tried not to show it, but I dropped the subject.

I have 3 coworkers, and one of them tends to butt in on everything, and I resent it. Perhaps it's made me more intolerable of it.
Could you explain the context that your co-worker "butts" in.
IMO A bar setting is far different than a work setting. I would not discuss personal things in a work setting....On the other hand, if you are discussing work issues in front of multiple employees, they may consider themselves part of that conversation....

Old 10-23-2015, 11:03 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
It depends on the situation. For instance, if I saw a family or a close-knit bunch of friends having a meal or similar, then I wouldn't dare butt in to their private time together.

However, if I'm waiting at the bus stop with a group of strangers, then I would probably join in the conversation if someone started one.

Last edited by Star10101; 10-23-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 11:10 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Completely conversational topic and venue dependent.

That said, way too many people spout their business in loud voices in close proximity of others and then get totally peeved when others comment as if there was some expectation of privacy despite their actions contrary to ensuring privacy. One I observed in a hot dog line in DC. Two women about ten feet ahead of me were going on and on about details of their work. The guy behind asked, "So where do you work?" They both got upset and said, "None of your business. It's classified." Seriously? The entire line was treated to their work drama.

Shakes head.....

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 10-23-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Just a question in general.

If I am new to an area and am sitting at a cafe, and I see two or more other women talking at a nearby table and I wait until they were not talking and then I went over to their table and asked politely, after telling them I was new in town, if could they recommend a good drycleaner (or something of that nature), would you think this would be rude or not?

This has not happened to me, but I am just wondering how most people on this thread would think about such a scenario.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
I wouldn't mind answering a simple question like that. Anyone that does mind needs to get over themselves. Seriously.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Completely conversational topic and venue dependent.

That said, way too many people spout their business in loud voices in close proximity of others and then get totally peeved when others comment as if there was some expectation of privacy despite their actions contrary to ensuring privacy. One I observed in a hot dog line in DC. Two women about ten feet ahead of me were going on and on about details of their work. The guy behind asked, "So where do you work?" They both got upset and said, "None of your business. It's classified." Seriously? The entire line was treated to their work drama.

Shakes head.....
Great post and example.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:40 PM

679 posts, read 812,531 times
I would consider it to be rude, butting into a conversation you are not a part of. I might be nice to you, but I would quickly steer the conversation back to the original parties.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I would consider it to be rude, EXCUSE ME... butting into a conversation BUT I... you are not a part of. JUST WANTED... I might be nice to you, TO TALK... but I would quickly steer the conversation ABOUT MYSELF... back to the original parties.
(Sorry!)

Old 10-23-2015, 03:31 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I play bridge and sometimes between playing, opponents will discuss something about their game. Since I am also at the table, I comment if I want to. Occasionally someone doesn't like it, but if a conversation is going on right in front of me, I think I can join in if I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships