Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times

Advertisements

I think it really just depends on the year. We moved to a dead end street so didn't expect much. Also I heard trick or treat times were between 5pm and 7:30. No one got that note. It didn't start at all until after 6 and we had our last trick or treaters at 8:30. My little goblins only trick or treated our street in under a half an hour and were done and fine with that.

But previously we lived in the same house for 12 years and some years it would be super busy, with kids coming in from other areas. Some years it would be a ghost town. I realized our last Halloween that it just seemed to depend on how decorated our street was. It was sort of a dark street anyways, so if there weren't many lights on, you could tell. One block over was always busy because one house would go crazy wit decorations and so everyone would trick or treat that block to see the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
We had much fewer than last year, but I chalked it up to lousy weather (we had flooding earlier in the day, and it was drizzling off and on in the evening). Our subdivision in blocked off so that only residents are allowed to enter between the hours of 5-10PM on Halloween. It's a good policy, because before the HOA enacted it, we went broke feeding our entire town's trick-or-treaters. The kids are adorable, but 20 bags of candy, the amount my friends and I gave out last year even with the blocked off neighborhood, is quite enough.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I saw and had none in my building. I was walking through the neighborhood at 9:00 PM so maybe It was too late?
You would be too late here.
Trick or Treat is - for the most part - 6 until 8.
Some places only have daylight ToT.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
...So, are there actually more parents scared of taking their kids out?
Or are there more churches and school, and such putting on Halloween events to kind of counter those safety concerns?
That's cool if they did, but it just seems the "trick or treating" thing didn't seem very strong-willed last night.
I personally stopped handing out candy in 1991 when I was in like 10th grade. And I'm not some old, cranky person who doesn't care about kids...I've worked with kids for my job since 1999.

If you don't know already, for a good # of years now, shopping mall stores hand out candy to kids, which is a LOT safer anyway.

Also, parents may know about more parties that their churches, relatives, etc. are throwing, so their kid is in ONE, safer environment.

Also, yes of course things aren't nearly as safe anymore out there in the streets. The times of doing a lot of things kids used to do decades ago are over!

I live in an apt complex & have for 3 yrs & not a soul knock on doors around here nor do I hear kids running around outside.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:08 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,681 times
We had few beggars. On a good year there would be maybe 30. Just not safe anymore and think parents are considering that. The stats show that Halloween is the biggest celebration and money spent on candy,decorations,costumes is over 6 billion. Think adults have gotton more into it which has accounted for the high amounts of money spent.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:56 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Three years ago I had three. Two years ago, none. We live in a marginal area, and our regional thing is porch light on, the house is participating in Halloween candy giving. We are the only house in my block to ever participate. So last year -- no light, no kids. Since I sit in my living room and my house is close to the sidewalk, and our door is open (not cold here I see EVERYONE walking on the sidewalks.

This year -- three of my neighbors had their lights on, but weren't home.... and no kids. I think it's done here.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:52 AM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
None, not one...I put on the porch light and put the peke in his kennel...looked out
front and saw only one other house with lights on...these lots are over an acre each,
I think kids want to go to houses closer together...besides the churches and malls hand
out candy and have activities.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
I live in an upscale downtown neighborhood surrounded by poorer city and county neighborhoods. We get hundreds of kids every year. The streets are lined with cars. While it is mainly due to the candy, I think safety is also a concern. There are more sidewalks and street lights and less speeding cars than in the unincorporated county. Also no vicious dogs running loose.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,380 times
Yes! We had about 1/3 of the number of kids we usually do. It was raining here (although it is Seattle!) and some wondered if that hindered the trick or treaters.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:16 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
I noticed a lot Halloween parties going on this year, compared to previous years. Also kids here had other options, like trick or treating at the local mall, main street businesses, the hospital, the police department had something going on, local churches, and other places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships