Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
This is an example of things you should just shrug and smile over. Go on about your day.
This. And enjoy the advantages of working nights. I always loved having more of the daylight hours to myself while others were working and being able to shop when the stores weren't so busy. Also being home when my young kids got home off school. Also working nights helped avoid all the politics at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM

828 posts, read 908,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Saying the wrong thing at thanksgiving? I was at someone's house and their tradition is everyone saying what they're thankful for. Her brother was thankful he no longer had crabs.
LOL! He sounds like a gem

Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I used to work the midnight shift at a police department - I know EXACTLY what you mean by people insinuating you're just taking a little nap during the day. It always made me furious - they knew I would be sleeping and they would still call me, or knock on the door, or give me grief for not being available for them on their schedule. The only exception I ever made was for my Dad, who was elderly - if he needed me for ANYTHING - he was allowed to call, knock on the door - whatever it took to get hold of me. I lived about 8 minutes away from him - and I took him to the doctor or did errands for him, whatever he needed me to do BEFORE I laid down to take my "nap"!! I wouldn't have had it any other way - but he never abused it. He worked shift work when I was growing up - so he understood how important sleep is.

Anybody else - they could pound salt. I think they either forgot sometimes, or were just messing with me. It got pretty ugly a few times. Can't change anything for you - but I just wanted you to know somebody else out here gets it - and I hope that you do manage to get your rest. Good luck!!!!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My husband worked nights for many years. His dad always went on about how lazy he was, if he called and my husband was asleep.

We had a neighbor who complained to the leasing office at the apartment complex that my husband was a very suspicious person, because they always saw him leaving at night wearing dark clothes (his uniform, plus a windbreaker over the shirt so his patches were hidden) and carrying a bag. They were convinced that my husband was breaking into cars in the complex during the night. The leasing staff told us about it in case we wanted to let the neighbor know that he was really just going to work. We didn't bother...our privacy was at least as important as their peace of mind.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I completely agree with you, OP.

I have worked several different grave yard shift jobs and they never worked out for me either. I finally swore them off. It's just too hard and not worth the extra money.

I hope you can just find a day shift job. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I completely agree with you, OP.

I have worked several different grave yard shift jobs and they never worked out for me either. I finally swore them off. It's just too hard and not worth the extra money.

I hope you can just find a day shift job. Good luck.
Thank you, but after about 23 years of doing the night shift, I think it's my life. I call in the Nostromo Shift as in I often only talk to someone face to face at the start of shift and at the end of the shift but in between, it's just me. For the first 12-13 years, there were 2-3 of us on night shift, but then they trimmed it down to one post with me as the sole survivor. When the others transferred to other jobs, they were never replaced. At times, they have tried to have a second person on steady weekday (students fill in the weekend) night shift (as I have pointed out, if I break a leg or die, they are really going to be hurting) but that's shaky at best since it is tough finding someone like me who is so conditioned to these hours.

When people ask me what do I do, I tell them I'm like the crew of the Nostromo or Major West of the Jupiter II or Krag in TMWTGG (Sacramanga's Solar Power Station); when the machines have a problem they can't handle, I'm there...........................only I don't get a flame thrower, laser pistol, or submachine gun.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Call them at 2am and tell them they have napped enough.
Agreed with this 10000%!!!! Best reply.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I understand exactly where you're coming from dear one. I finally quit my job in July because I couldn't stand the thought of working another night shift and all of the inconvenience that went along with it. We had to do an all day clinical review where I used to work on day shift of course because administration couldn't be inconvenienced by doing an all night one for the night shift workers. People who never do shift work just don't understand the agony of forcing your body into an unnatural state. My poor John rotated shifts every 28 days for decades until the department went to permanent shifts. He was most miserable on the night shift and never slept well. He's a day person and to this day is up by 530 am. Try not to be so hard on your family TS it sounds like they just miss you. I understand how frustrated you are dear one. Working nights can make anyone grow horns. It's miserable and I hope you can find another job that's better for your body.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:26 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
It is out of the norm. I get it. I get up at 2:45am for work. People cannot wrap their head around that I must get to bed at 7:30pm. They don't get it that I get sleepy at 9pm if I am out on the town on my days off. I have had this "life/work style" for quite sometime. I gave up a very long time ago with trying to explain it to people.
Hee hee hee...I had to be at work at 6:30 am. I'd get up at 3am or so to walk the dogs, then breakfast then just before leaving the house, feed Mom also.

My co-workers invited me to their places at times, I refused and even when saying "I have to care for my Mother" they thought I could just get a caretaker at the drop of a hat.....(sigh)

They were stunned I'd hit the sack at 7-8pm each and every night.

One lesson I learned was to never leave Mom alone is she wasn't sitting in her chair. Went shopping and she got into a bind and called 911, the cops and fire dept had to bust a window to get to her. I got home to find police, fire and EMS there....Never again.

(Took me 3 weeks cusing the insurance company out 4 times to fix the damage)

Old 11-28-2015, 02:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
"Lord, we thank thee for making somebody else go cold and alone and hungry today, instead of us. Amen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships