Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:35 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,582,312 times

Advertisements

Recently,

I went to the smoothie shop and ordered a smoothie because they have specials on Fridays. I tasted it and it just tasted wrong; it had an aftertaste kind of like the cherry flavoring of cough syrup. This particular shop offered to remake my order a few times and did not refuse me when I requested to have an order remade, so I went back in to see if they could fix it. The manager stepped in, accused me of "always coming in and requesting to have smoothies remade." I did ask to have a few remade, but it certainly wasn't every time or even most of the time. I was embarrassed and upset, so I told her to just throw it away. I wasn't too mean; I just firmly told her to throw it away, but I was thinking that she acted quite unprofessionally. Plus, if this was really an issue, why didn't she say something the first couple of times I requested to have something remade. She could have just said, "I'm sorry; we don't do that here."

I'm not really sure how to respond. I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from that particular smoothie shop ever again as long as she is the manager, or if I do I will probably wait a bit until this event is forgotten. I'm also wondering why she felt the need to say all of that to me in front of all of those customers without saying anything before. In my opinion, that was a bit passive aggressive, wasn't it? I still feel a little bad, though, for getting upset. I've thought about calling and apologizing, but I really feel like she owes me an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 08:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Recently,

I went to the smoothie shop and ordered a smoothie because they have specials on Fridays. I tasted it and it just tasted wrong; it had an aftertaste kind of like the cherry flavoring of cough syrup. This particular shop offered to remake my order a few times and did not refuse me when I requested to have an order remade, so I went back in to see if they could fix it. The manager stepped in, accused me of "always coming in and requesting to have smoothies remade." I did ask to have a few remade, but it certainly wasn't every time or even most of the time. I was embarrassed and upset, so I told her to just throw it away. I wasn't too mean; I just firmly told her to throw it away, but I was thinking that she acted quite unprofessionally. Plus, if this was really an issue, why didn't she say something the first couple of times I requested to have something remade. She could have just said, "I'm sorry; we don't do that here."

I'm not really sure how to respond. I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from that particular smoothie shop ever again as long as she is the manager, or if I do I will probably wait a bit until this event is forgotten. I'm also wondering why she felt the need to say all of that to me in front of all of those customers before saying anything before. In my opinion, that was a bit passive aggressive, wasn't it? I still feel a little bad, though, for getting upset. I've thought about calling and apologizing, but I really feel like she owes me an apology.
You said yourself you've done it a few times, so it's apparent they think you're trying to scam them.

Don't call; don't apologize. Just find a new smoothie shop, or make your own at home.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You said yourself you've done it a few times, so it's apparent they think you're trying to scam them.

Don't call; don't apologize. Just find a new smoothie shop, or make your own at home.

It's not even about the food; it's the audacity of someone to think that I'm not worth being spoken to civilly. Plus, if it were really a problem, why didn't they say anything before? It makes no sense. No one said anything, like, "um, ma'am, we know we offered to remake the smoothie once or twice when you were here, but we're getting to where we can't do it. I'm sorry. Maybe next time try a better flavor?" There was very little effort to be courteous.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

I agree.

If they actually recognized you and remembered that you had requested that things be re-made in the past then you, obviously, have been doing it much, much more often than most customers. While the manager probably could have said it a little nicer and quieter, IMHO, she was not out-of-line or rude to you.

I'm 63 years old and only twice in my entire life have I asked to have a smoothie or similar food item remade. Occasionally, I will order a food that I dislike and don't finish eating, but I just remember not to order the same item again at that place.

How many times did you ask to have a smoothie remade? Once a year? Once every six months? Once a month? Frankly, even if you came in two or three times a week and asked to have something remade once a month, it still seems rather excessive to me and that is only one time out of eight or twelve.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-05-2015 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 08:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
It's not even about the food; it's the audacity of someone to think that I'm not worth being spoken to civilly. Plus, if it were really a problem, why didn't they say anything before? It makes no sense. No one said anything, like, "um, ma'am, we know we offered to remake the smoothie once or twice when you were here, but we're getting to where we can't do it. I'm sorry. Maybe next time try a better flavor?" There was very little effort to be courteous.
That's unfortunate.

It's never fun to be called out. It IS embarrassing. She certainly could have done it in a courteous way. But not all managers are good managers.

Having said that, germaine is right. You've obviously done it more times than someone who runs a store like that thinks is acceptable.

I would not go there anymore.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. If they actually recognized you and remembered that you had requested that things be re-made in the past then you, obviously, have been doing it much, much more often than most customers.

I'm 63 years old and only twice in my entire life have I asked to have a smoothie or similar food item remade. Occasionally, I will order a food that I dislike and don't finish eating, but I just remember not to order the same item again at that place.

The first few times THEY offered to remake it. I didn't have to ask them anything. I did eventually get to where I started asking them, but why did they offer the first few times if it wasn't part of their policy? I certainly didn't want to be the one being berated for requesting that someone do something they aren't supposed to do. It would have been a lot better to not offer to remake things than to make me think that requesting it was okay if I didn't like the taste.

I've contemplated submitting a formal written complaint on that particular franchise, but I think maybe that's overreacting. Perhaps the manager is going through stress that I know nothing about. The point is, though, I wasn't trying to be a bad customer and don't think I deserved to be treated like that.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
How many times exactly did you get a new drink? Once, or twice, it happens. More than that, you are the problem. Stop ordering things you aren't sure you'll like, or realize the mistake is on you, not the store owner.

The manager is willing to forego your business at this point, I suggest to take it elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:56 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,229 times
How odd to keep returning to a place that repeatedly makes your order wrong?

Why keep going if they have to keep re-making?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,308 times
You should find a new place to get smoothies since you don't like the way they make them.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
The first few times THEY offered to remake it. I didn't have to ask them anything. I did eventually get to where I started asking them, but why did they offer the first few times if it wasn't part of their policy? I certainly didn't want to be the one being berated for requesting that someone do something they aren't supposed to do. It would have been a lot better to not offer to remake things than to make me think that requesting it was okay if I didn't like the taste. I'm still a bit hurt by that encounter.
Why would they offer to remake it, the first few times, unless you came back to the counter or said something to them?

I can see why you may feel hurt, but unless they had a huge sign saying "Try a new flavor. If you don't like it we will make you a different flavor for free" they did not do anything wrong. They probably thought that you were trying to take advantage of them by drinking part of the smoothie and then asking for a different one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships