Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 08:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, girl you are missing an awesome opportunity. You just need to come up with a version of her name that would sound ghetto to her, and call her that. Or just call her Bella Tacqueria or something like that. You really need to play this one up.

You could also find a poster of a big black guy - maybe a Luther poster of Idris Elba and put it up in whatever bathroom she uses when she comes over. Or a Samuel Jackson poster, I don't know - anyway, oh my gosh, would I have fun with this one!

We took my stepson to a Cinco de Mayo festival one time. He was almost in a state of culture shock but he couldn't leave till we did because he was only 14 and we were driving. I bought a T shirt with the Virgin of Guadelupe on it and changed into it there and insisted on walking around with him. I thought he was going to die of discomfort but he laughs about it now. He just needed a bit of cultural exposure.
I was thinking they should have put some gold chains on the child, sagged his pants a little and sent the step daughter a picture saying "Guess you were right on the whole JX name"

Old 12-28-2015, 08:21 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
From post #5 there were apparently 8 seats for 10 people as there were enough seats until step daughter showed up.
This would have been the perfect opportunity for musical chairs, Christmas dinner edition. Helps build the appetite and brings Darwinism to the fore where it belongs.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was thinking they should have put some gold chains on the child, sagged his pants a little and sent the step daughter a picture saying "Guess you were right on the whole JX name"
They should get on JibJab, insert the baby's photo into some urban beat song, and send it to the stepdaughter. Or photo shop his photo and add dreadlocks.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How do you think the daughter felt, showing up for dinner and not having a place for her and her fiance to sit?
Or eat? What a wonderful dinner.....no meat to eat because the step-daughter doesn't eat ham.....no place to sit.....wow I beat she felt oh so welcomed! How come I get the feeling that this wasn't the first time she was slighted by the OP....highly doubtful that it will be the last.

Last year for Thanksgiving, we were invited to dinner at his aunt's house. We live 2 hours away. I offered to make a side dish and a dessert. When we left our house, it was snowing. We drove over an hour and a half in snow and horrible snow drifts. My husband was in constant contact with them our entire drive. I was the one driving so he was texting family members. We finally arrived after 2 hours of white knuckle driving only to find out that they have already eaten! We were 10 minutes late. TEN minutes.

I was VERY upset. They couldn't wait 10 minutes for guests to arrive knowing we were in horrible weather. They stuck us in the back of the dining room. We had to ask each person to get up so we could be seated. All of the food was stone cold. Everyone was done eating. All the children had left the table and were playing. We weren't even offered all of the food.....just what was on the back table we were seated at. No one ate the side dish or dessert I brought.

I spent the rest of the afternoon in the basement watching Disney movies with the kids. No one his family spoke to me. We had been married for 18 years at that point.....it's 19 now.

When we left, I said to my husband in the car, NEVER again will I attend his family's Thanksgiving dinner. We weren't welcome and were treated like crap. They knew we were late and why.....not because we were having a great time. We have no control over the weather. I was STARVING when we left because so little food was offered to us....like we were some freaking peasants. We ended up eating at Cracker Barrel on our way home.....completely random strangers were far kinder to us. Lesson learned!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 PM

I concur on so many missed opportunities to take the material provided by stepdaughter and have a comedic field day with it. From her new nickname to future Taco Bell gift cards, to a Tshirt with her new nickname "Taco Belle," to making fun of her racist views.

Someone with a razor sharp wit and some creativity would be like a kid in a candy store, the stepD wouldn't know what hit her. Some of the jokes nearly write themselves!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:30 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
I know that there are most engaging member contests, but after reading this, I think CD Admin should establish something similar for forum threads. This beats all other threads I've seen on CD and is a contender for the top spot on the whole internet. The only question is who would get the prize money. If this thread wins, as it should, I vote for sweet black baby James, who really elevated the thread far above any conceivable competitor.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
When we left, I said to my husband in the car, NEVER again will I attend his family's Thanksgiving dinner. We weren't welcome and were treated like crap. They knew we were late and why.....not because we were having a great time. We have no control over the weather. I was STARVING when we left because so little food was offered to us....like we were some freaking peasants. We ended up eating at Cracker Barrel on our way home.....completely random strangers were far kinder to us. Lesson learned!
My sister had something similar happen one year. Although they ended up arriving on time only to find out that my bil's family decided to eat early. They ate an hour early, so by the time my sister arrived (on time) everything had already been cleaned up and leftovers put in the fridge. No phone call about a change in time, they just decided to eat Thanksgiving dinner before everyone arrived. That was the one and only time they had Thanksgiving over there.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,803 times
Sweet black baby James?! Oh lord, when did he turn into bbq sauce?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:36 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
here is a strange twist in my own family step- situation. after i got divorced, my mother decided to become best friends with wife #2 when my ex-husband remarried. now that to me is beyond crazy.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

I spent the rest of the afternoon in the basement watching Disney movies with the kids. No one his family spoke to me. We had been married for 18 years at that point.....it's 19 now.
How horrible and so rude. I'd be pissed off too, to the extent that I wouldn't really want to go to any events on his side of the family if that's how I was going to be treated. But I guess you have to pick your battles, so limiting exposure during Thanksgiving may be as far as you can push it.

Actually many years ago I did exactly that with my then boyfriend. We would go to his parent's home every Thanksgiving & Xmas, this was for several years. His younger brother, older sister and mother pretty much ignored me. Nothing other than a generic 'hello' when we arrived. No conversation. His brother and sister also ignored my boyfriend for the most part. His father was nice, but was generally a quiet man. I finally stopped going altogether to these holiday tortureFests. Broke up with that boyfriend a couple years later. My own family is dysfunctional, I'll be damned if I'm going to spend significant time with with someone else's family who acts the same way. No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships