Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:42 PM

439 posts, read 517,318 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to the area so I have a sort of limited amt of new friends. Would you "drop" a friend (a foreigner) because she doesn't respect your boundaries, even though she is quite needy, and you kind of feel sorry for her. Previously, we really got along well, she actually was one of my roommates but she had to move out because she didn't get along with some of the other people..

However, lately, she's really been a little disrespectful of my boundaries, "We really need to go out now!" even if I am not available to go out,, etc. and then, if I give her an excuse, she will say it is just b.s...(ouch!)

I also might add she is quite a bit younger than me. She is very intelligent and I usu enjoy her company. I've just had a lot to do lately, and friend just doesn't seem to understand about priorities..She also might be going through "culture shock" pretty badly as she just moved to this country in Sept, and the 4 month mark is supposed to be the worst, culture shock wise...

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:56 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,868 times
Yes.

Next question please.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:12 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times
Yes... as long as you accept the behavior, she will continue disrespecting your boundaries. Not a healthy friendship.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 PM

912 posts, read 915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hello,

I am new to the area so I have a sort of limited amt of new friends. Would you "drop" a friend (a foreigner) because she doesn't respect your boundaries, even though she is quite needy, and you kind of feel sorry for her. Previously, we really got along well, she actually was one of my roommates but she had to move out because she didn't get along with some of the other people..

However, lately, she's really been a little disrespectful of my boundaries, "We really need to go out now!" even if I am not available to go out,, etc. and then, if I give her an excuse, she will say it is just b.s...(ouch!)

I also might add she is quite a bit younger than me. She is very intelligent and I usu enjoy her company. I've just had a lot to do lately, and friend just doesn't seem to understand about priorities..She also might be going through "culture shock" pretty badly as she just moved to this country in Sept, and the 4 month mark is supposed to be the worst, culture shock wise...

thank you.
Yes. I don't even need to read the rest of you post. If she isn't adding value, do not keep someone as a friend because you feel sorry for them. You are not doing either of you a favor.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Hello,

thank you.
I think you like many people need to learnt the difference between what an acquaintance is and what a friend is, someone you met 3 months ago isn't a friend. Real friendships take time.

Aren't you the same poster who lives in a house with people who belong to a religion you left in fear? But live there because the rent is low?

Better to be a little lonely in a new place than jump into situations that are going to cause more angst than the feeling of being lonely would cause you to be depressed.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Everyone is raised differently. If she's a different culture than you, she might have been raised to be "pushy" Tell her to back off when she puts the pressure on, and see what happens. If she doesn't understand and continues to be a PIA, drop her.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:40 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
It is okay to drop this 'friend'...
she never really was one, you know. It takes longer than a few months to create a true friendship.
AND it takes behaviors better than those you describe. You both do not treat each other well.

Why do you live with people you despise, and hang out with people just because you feel sorry for them?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is okay to drop this 'friend'...
she never really was one, you know. It takes longer than a few months to create a true friendship.
AND it takes behaviors better than those you describe. You both do not treat each other well.

Why do you live with people you despise, and hang out with people just because you feel sorry for them?
The bolded part, what is it with people who throw the word friend around at the drop of a hat?

I lived in the PNW(Portland) for a little over 2 years, sure it was lonely for the first year, and it took awhile to meet people(the Seattle/Portland PNW "freeze" is true), but better to be a little lonely than be around problematic people.

IDK how old you are OP, but be more selective. Find an activity you like, or even do some volunteer work and meet people that way.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Yes. Boundaries are essential for any kind of healthy relationship/friendship.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 PM

920 posts, read 932,456 times
Quote:
Hello,

thank you.
If you give her an excuse, she will say b*ll****? is that right? and this is normal behavior, not a one time occurance?

I am pretty sure this is not your friend. And it doesn't sound like a pathway to closeness. Sorry. I wish you the best in making friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships