Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
All people who complain are just drama vortexes. They want to be the center of attention. They don't take responsibility for their bad decisions. When they run out of people to complain to IRL, they come here to complain.
Actually, companies like it when they get feedback, both good and bad. It's how they know what is working and what isn't.

Complaining about a product breaking or being defective is not trying to be "the center of attention". What a special little world that you live in where nothing goes wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
him/her: No one else has complained!

Or,

You're the only one complaining..

me: You going to do something about it?

This is a milder version of what I actually say. What I mean is show me, tell me, how you'll Fix It Now. But things can get misinterpreted. Anyway it all works out well. (Ok fine. My ex taught me this but bless his heart all over).

Last edited by LiaLia; 01-15-2016 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-30-2019, 12:08 AM

143 posts, read 177,992 times
Default It's a phenomenon of denial and inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

Is it me, or does it seem like the latest response to any kind of complaint these days, is to act completely baffled that you are complaining, and then say, "Huh, no on else has complained about that."

I've been hearing this from my landlord, which I know is not true, and other merchants here and there when I want to return something, and again today I heard it from a seller on Amazon over a product I wanted to return, that was obviously faulty.

I swear, this must be the new technique taught in seminars around the country on how to deal with complaints. Just look baffled and say, "Huh, nobody else has ever complained about that."

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? I have proof that both of the examples above were lies (talking to other tenants, and the Amazon seller's feedback). But, I don't remember hearing it as often as I do now. It seems like it's the standard response. Instead of, "I'm sorry things don't work right, or that the thing broke, etc.," they all now immediately act surprised and say, "No one else has complained about that." And what is the point? You'll feel crazy and stupid out there alone on the complaining branch, so you'll apologize and run away? I don't get it.

Anyway, I've been trying to perfect a comeback to this line. I'd love to hear suggestions.
It's just a sleazy way to duck responsibility, and deeply annoying because it implies that generic others have a firmer grasp on reality than some "annoying" complainer who dares to expect landlords (or whoever) to earn their overcharged money by repairing things or evicting noisy scofflaws.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:14 AM

143 posts, read 177,992 times
Default Gaslighting is the term for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I don't think it's rude to say "No one else is complaining". It could be that they wanted you to know they weren't dropping the ball. In other words, could be your landlord wants you to know he wasn't sitting around eating bonbons while the building went on fire. It is not the smoothest way of making that point, but it could be he meant no harm.

If the person is just trying to be obnoxious, I don't think dishing attitude back at them is helpful. You can just explain your case further. Sometimes people don't understand what's really bothering you. For example, it took me 4 times to explain to payroll why/how my paycheck was wrong. Things do get lost in communication--that is not necessarily one person's fault.

Another point of view is that perhaps you should take a step back and see if 1) you are over-reacting or 2) you are on the complain train and you need to get off on the next stop.
You're being far too polite to the people who use that line. Apparently you've never experienced it, or may be the type who'd use it yourself instead of taking complaints seriously. It's a passive-aggressive way of saying "I don't feel like dealing with this so I'll trust the (apathetic/unaware, non-complaining) crowd, not you."

Another aspect is when landlords claim noise didn't occur unless they happened to witness it. It's a form of gaslighting and gets increasingly annoying when the problem persists and they ramp-up the denial.

Sure, there will always be cases where some crank complains for no reason, but inaction on legit complaints is far more common in my experience.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:10 PM

892 posts, read 484,708 times
"I wouldn't know, since I never met them".

Old 03-31-2019, 03:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
"ive never met "no one else" but this is what happened to me

Old 04-01-2019, 04:10 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

Is it me, or does it seem like the latest response to any kind of complaint these days, is to act completely baffled that you are complaining, and then say, "Huh, no on else has complained about that."

I've been hearing this from my landlord, which I know is not true, and other merchants here and there when I want to return something, and again today I heard it from a seller on Amazon over a product I wanted to return, that was obviously faulty.

I swear, this must be the new technique taught in seminars around the country on how to deal with complaints. Just look baffled and say, "Huh, nobody else has ever complained about that."

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? I have proof that both of the examples above were lies (talking to other tenants, and the Amazon seller's feedback). But, I don't remember hearing it as often as I do now. It seems like it's the standard response. Instead of, "I'm sorry things don't work right, or that the thing broke, etc.," they all now immediately act surprised and say, "No one else has complained about that." And what is the point? You'll feel crazy and stupid out there alone on the complaining branch, so you'll apologize and run away? I don't get it.

Anyway, I've been trying to perfect a comeback to this line. I'd love to hear suggestions.
'I'm not no one. That statement is irrelevant'.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Hahaha yeah I’ve heard this from a landlord way back in college too, we later found out everyone had complained about this quadmate and that’s why all 3 other rooms were empty! We ended up going to him and telling him either this guy is gone or we are. I actually think we were too nice because since this guy had come into one of our apartments and threatened me, I think legally he could have been found negligent for knowing about the threat as we told him and not evicting the tenant. If anything had happened I would have ended up owning that apartment complex lol.

I probably would respond back cheekily as others have said, “Yeah? There’s a first time for everything!”

Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Not exactly the same but hulu lady just said 'I never heard of that happening to anyone before'. Well, it's happening to me!

Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 PM

What a useless thing to say. Implying the issue must be on my end. What device are you using? A good one. What is your speed? Excellent, works beautifully for EVERY OTHER SERVICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships