Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 11:34 AM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

So I have a trip planned to Florida next week.

My first vacation of the year; been a pretty stressful year so far due to my mom becoming very sick and me having to suddenly move closer to her. So I'm really looking forward to a laid back/peaceful trip away.

I had casually mentioned to a friend of mine that she's welcome to join me if she likes. We've been friends now for IDK..maybe 15 years but we've never had a trip together before. She's also going through some things in her life and not in the best place so figured I'd offer. I wasn't sure if she actually would go because it was such a last minute notification, however, it looks like she will actually come.

We're both in our 40s fyi.

Thing is - I booked my hotel with points and I got a king bed. I'm kinda picky about sleeping arrangements (I just have issues being able to sleep when I share a bed). I also haven't been sleeping more than a few hours a night for the past week fyi so it is kinda important to me that I prioritize rest during this time away.

I think I really want my own bed but the hotel won't upgrade me to a double bed because I booked with points. However, I just called them and they agreed they could give me a complementary rollaway bed.

My question is, do you think it would be offensive at all to offer my friend the rollaway bed? I've never slept in one before but the hotel is a pretty nice hotel so I'd think it would be 'comfortable enough'. She does sometimes have body pains and what have you so I don't want to be inconsiderate. Has anyone here ever used a hotel rollaway before? I figured it would be a good alternative to having to share a bed; after all, if she does happen to have some pains when she comes my tossing/turning if we share the same bed together might not make it better.

I know this is a rather random question and pretty insignificant but was really just curious what others thought about it.

Oh - one last thing. I just realized - maybe I could offer that we take turns with the rollaway. Maybe that would be a fair compromise? Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 11:52 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Probably should have thought this out before inviting someone else to share. If you can't share a huge king-size bed w/someone you've known so long - ASK them how they feel. You are the one that that likely only sleeps a couple hrs. so the roll-away bed for you?

Old 09-14-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Probably should have thought this out before inviting someone else to share. If you can't share a huge king-size bed w/someone you've known so long - ASK them how they feel. You are the one that that likely only sleeps a couple hrs. so the roll-away bed for you?
Of course. I'm going to ask. Just simply looking for others' opinions.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:56 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
If it were me, I would send my friend a message saying "I just wanted to give you a heads up ... I tried to switch from a king room to a double room, but couldn't because I booked on points. They are willing to provide a rollaway bed. But I wanted to make sure you know in advance. I know you sometimes deal with body pains, and I wasn't sure if sleeping on a rollaway would be a problem for you."

That pretty much sets the expectation that the rollaway is hers, but she can back out if it's going to be an issue.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If it were me, I would send my friend a message saying "I just wanted to give you a heads up ... I tried to switch from a king room to a double room, but couldn't because I booked on points. They are willing to provide a rollaway bed. But I wanted to make sure you know in advance. I know you sometimes deal with body pains, and I wasn't sure if sleeping on a rollaway would be a problem for you."

That pretty much sets the expectation that the rollaway is hers, but she can back out if it's going to be an issue.
I like the way you worded that.

I did mention that I also just thought about splitting the rollaway and we each do a few nights on it. But I will likely be taking an approach similar to what you just mentioned and go from there...

Old 09-14-2022, 12:16 PM

6,862 posts, read 4,856,991 times
Is she paying for part of the room? If I were her I would just book my own room if possible, but I realize some people are on a budget, and sharing the cost may be necessary for her.

Depending on the mattress and her own sleeping habits she might not be bothered by you tossing and turning. You may not be bothered by her if she's a sound sleeper and doesn't move much.

If you get the rollaway I suggest you switch off. However, whatever you do you need to mention it and come to an arrangement asap.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:24 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
If she's paying you the equivalent to 1/2 of the room rate, then I suppose that the appropriate thing to do is to switch off. But if she's staying in the room at no charge (because you used points), then I wouldn't offer to switch. But maybe that's just me.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Is she paying for part of the room? If I were her I would just book my own room if possible, but I realize some people are on a budget, and sharing the cost may be necessary for her.

Depending on the mattress and her own sleeping habits she might not be bothered by you tossing and turning. You may not be bothered by her if she's a sound sleeper and doesn't move much.

If you get the rollaway I suggest you switch off. However, whatever you do you need to mention it and come to an arrangement asap.
No; I'm 99% sure she won't offer to pay for anything towards the room. I won't be asking her to, it would be 'really' really nice if she would, but I am not expecting it and it is highly unlikely.

She's not going to book her own room; the current room cost is now $2200 for the nights we will be staying.

Yeah, I'm ok with the alternating but will see what she says. Only issue would be if she really doesn't want to stay in the rollaway at all.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
If she's paying you the equivalent to 1/2 of the room rate, then I suppose that the appropriate thing to do is to switch off. But if she's staying in the room at no charge (because you used points), then I wouldn't offer to switch. But maybe that's just me.
So although I used points, I had to pay for some of the stay because points didn't cover all of it.

I didn't request she pay anything so in short, she'll be staying in the room for free fyi. Which will be pretty sweet for her because the room is currently going for around $500 a night.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:36 PM

1,462 posts, read 659,078 times
Quote:

This is the spot on answer. Perfect. Gives her a heads up and she can decide to take the rollaway or bag the whole trip. You paid so enjoy your bed. Please yourself and don't feel guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships