Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

I've noticed over the last few years, people don't seem to applaud a lot anymore. I am wondering if other people have noticed the same thing.

Examples:
I joined a church (we ended up leaving). I know some churches are energetic but this one wasn't. People didn't ever seem to know when to clap. A woman would get up and sing the heck out of a song and would get barely an applause. I was horrified.

We went to several shows at WDW and it was the same thing. People were doing some super cool stuff and hardly and applause from the audience. I had to keep reminding my kids to applaud.

I went to 2 graduations and people didn't bother to applaud unless they knew the person. My husband noted this was weird because you SHOULD come away with sore hands from a graduation...but not any more.

I went to a school night thing and each kid in class did a presentation. The teachers had to encourage people to clap for every single student.

There are more...but thats enough for now.

I don't know, I remember clapping being a big deal when I was younger. I knew I had to clap...it was polite, it was letting the person know I appreciated their effort.

Anyone else notice that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
I'm sure it is the difference in denominations, in Catholic Church we never applaud during Mass. Singing is part of Mass and there is no applause in Catholic Church.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I've noticed over the last few years, people don't seem to applaud a lot anymore. I am wondering if other people have noticed the same thing.

Examples:
I joined a church (we ended up leaving). I know some churches are energetic but this one wasn't. People didn't ever seem to know when to clap. A woman would get up and sing the heck out of a song and would get barely an applause. I was horrified.

We went to several shows at WDW and it was the same thing. People were doing some super cool stuff and hardly and applause from the audience. I had to keep reminding my kids to applaud.

I went to 2 graduations and people didn't bother to applaud unless they knew the person. My husband noted this was weird because you SHOULD come away with sore hands from a graduation...but not any more.

I went to a school night thing and each kid in class did a presentation. The teachers had to encourage people to clap for every single student.

I don't know, I remember clapping being a big deal when I was younger. I knew I had to clap...it was polite, it was letting the person know I appreciated their effort.

Anyone else notice that?
They are too busy texting?

Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
They are too busy texting?
Possible LOL

Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Church is not a dramatic production. It's a worship service. As someone who was raised Episcopalian, I would be horrified if people DID applaud after a hymn.

I do think that people holding phones is part of the problem in other settings. At all the graduations I've attended in the last year, though, people were told NOT to applaud until the end so we could hear everyone's name being called.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Church is not a dramatic production. It's a worship service. As someone who was raised Episcopalian, I would be horrified if people DID applaud after a hymn.

I do think that people holding phones is part of the problem in other settings. At all the graduations I've attended in the last year, though, people were told NOT to applaud until the end so we could hear everyone's name being called.
This wasn't a hymn. They did special musical production in the summer....I should've been more specific.

And the graduation, they didn't say that. I wished they would have. It would have made it go quicker

I was Baptist as a kid...if someone did a solo, there was lots of applause

Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
"Church" probably isn't the best example then, since there are many different customs.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
I haven't noticed this.

Not all church congregations applaud. It's a worship service not a concert. I go to school choir and orchestra concerts from time to time and everyone applauds.

My step tracker goes to sleep when I clap, so sometimes I skip it. Otherwise I have to keep waking it back up.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times
No. Never noticed this. People do applaud at my church. Not spontaneously. But after a performance.

Churches that are "high church" applaud less - or not at all. Roman Catholic, for example, but I was at a Catholic wedding about a year ago, and when the priest presented the new couple to the congregation, there was applause. If anything, I think clapping is more socially acceptable.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Examples:

Anyone else notice that?

Why did you leave that church? What type of church was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships