Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:39 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times

Advertisements

My fil just emailed a long paranoid rant about how the oil market is going to collapse and the industry is in such debt (???) that their creditors will bankrupt them and that China will call in the U.S. debt to them and the banks will start to fail and there will be a run on cash so go to Costco and stock up on rice and beans.

Seriously.

Recently his older sister has had memory problems and confusion that clearly shows some dementia. My FIL has had some wacko ideas but this was a real crazy rant. We live a few hours away so we don't see him day to day. This hit hubby out of the blue and he doesn't know what to do.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My fil just emailed a long paranoid rant about how the oil market is going to collapse and the industry is in such debt (???) that their creditors will bankrupt them and that China will call in the U.S. debt to them and the banks will start to fail and there will be a run on cash so go to Costco and stock up on rice and beans.

Seriously.

Recently his older sister has had memory problems and confusion that clearly shows some dementia. My FIL has had some wacko ideas but this was a real crazy rant. We live a few hours away so we don't see him day to day. This hit hubby out of the blue and he doesn't know what to do.

Opinions?

It may be nothing (he is just having a bad day) or he just talked to one of his friends who prepares for the worst situation or he just listened to someone ranting on the radio

OR it could be something. Call him up and talk to him on the phone. That will give you a better idea of his current mental status. If he is still ranting and appears confused, can you have a friend or neighbor check on him and talk to him in person? It probably is nothing, unless you see a pattern or this happens a lot.

One of my uncles used to go on similar rants but he was perfectly sane and had absolutely no dementia or mental problems. He went on occasional rants when he was middle age and he was still going on occasional rants like that when he passed away in his 90s.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:

Seriously.

Opinions?
Actually what he said could happen.

Maybe you need to start paying more attention to world events. If China does start calling in US debt we are in trouble. You can only kick the can down the road so far.

It's not a bad idea to have some cash on hand as well as food in the house that won't spoil.

You live in FL. Do you just assume that the A/C will always run and that a hurricane won't knock out your power for 3 days?

Did you see the people in the NE emptying out the stores and leaving bare shelves this weekend, most supermarkets only have about a weeks worth of food on hand.

Maybe your FIL was somewhat overzealous in his approach, but he isn't totally off the mark either.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Sure it could happen. The super volcano in Yosemite could blow tomorrow. Could.

I'm not interested in taking about economic models. I'm asking about how to deal with a sudden paranoid rant from my FIL that seems extreme and has worried my husband. If you're not going to discuss that feel free to visit here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/economics/

Old 01-25-2016, 01:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually what he said could happen.

Maybe you need to start paying more attention to world events. If China does start calling in US debt we are in trouble. You can only kick the can down the road so far.

It's not a bad idea to have some cash on hand as well as food in the house that won't spoil.

You live in FL. Do you just assume that the A/C will always run and that a hurricane won't knock out your power for 3 days?

Did you see the people in the NE emptying out the stores and leaving bare shelves this weekend, most supermarkets only have about a weeks worth of food on hand.

Maybe your FIL was somewhat overzealous in his approach, but he isn't totally off the mark either.

Good points.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Sure it could happen. The super volcano in Yosemite could blow tomorrow. Could.

I'm not interested in taking about economic models. I'm asking about how to deal with a sudden paranoid rant from my FIL that seems extreme and has worried my husband. If you're not going to discuss that feel free to visit here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/economics/
Yes, and if your mother had been a man she would have been your father.

I was trying to point out to you(which went over your head) that what he said has some merit, depending on how he worded it. If you're that worried than have your husband since it's his dad pick up the phone and call or if he is close by go see him.

And who bases one "rant" on it being something major.

Again, you're that concerned speak to him live, not on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good points.

Thank you. Some people only concern themselves with Reality TV shows and are clueless to world events.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Oh brother.

Seriously, go to the economic board.

The man was saying stop by Costco and buy 50lb bags of rice and cases of beans. You think that's a reasonable action??? I think I would worry about your mental health, if I cared.

Go away.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Oh brother.

Seriously, go to the economic board.

The man was saying stop by Costco and buy 50lb bags of rice and cases of beans. You think that's a reasonable action??? I think I would worry about your mental health, if I cared.

Go away.
LOL....you don't get to pick and choose who responds to your threads.

Ask your neighbors(if you talk to them) if you only want to hear what you want to hear.

You don't even say how old your FIL is? Is he 50 or 83?

What's wrong with being a little prepared?

You're not very clear, someone saying that there could be a worldwide economic downturn mainly due to China and having some supplies on hand isn't out of line.

Now if he is stating the world is going to end tomorrow and building a bunker in his backyard and using a shovel at this very moment, than yes there could be an issue.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
The man was saying stop by Costco and buy 50lb bags of rice and cases of beans. You think that's a reasonable action???
I do. I have emergency rations stockpiled in cupboards and closets.

Feel free to label me mentally ill, too. As well as the entire membership of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,775,959 times
Does your FIL normally have interest in economic trends ? Is this oil doom and gloom a topic he has broached before ? If it is, maybe he is just picking up what he heard on the internet, TV or on a radio program.

If it's not something he normally considers, then yes maybe something is off on him. The going to Costco and picking 50 pounds of rice right now is IMO opinion weird .

I would do what a previous poster suggested. Phone him in a day or so - let the oil crisis rant pass from his mind first. See how he talks on the phone and what he discusses. If your MIL is still around, see if you can speak to her too. Maybe she can offer some insight into the current workings of his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships