Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times

Advertisements

Usually when I over-react I.m ticked off about something that happened prior?
Were you already egged-off about something?
If you ever see him again, I.d apologize quickly and move on. He overstepped a bit, yes. But your conscience is bugging you.
Gatorade does make me feel better btw and I totally understand wanting the electrolytes. I wish there was another way to get electrolytes into the bod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:35 PM

237 posts, read 224,848 times
Technically you were both out of line, but if you really said the words "put it where the sun doesn't shine" instead of something worse, I'll give you a pass. I think it's a clever expression actually. Literally it could be interpreted as 'put it in the basement' or the freezer, or perhaps under a tree. It's funny that somehow we all know it means somewhere else. Besides, he started it. I'd hold an employee to a higher standard of behavior than I would a customer.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Cant you just tell him "I am not interested" - that's what I do and they back off right away or I will really let it at them.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Default quit posting clickbait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went to Costco this afternoon to stock up on some things. They often have vendors offering samples of various products, and on my way out, I ran across a guy whipping up some sort of super concentrated vitamin water type thing. There were samples available and I stopped to try one. It tasted fine, but came in an expensive powder he was mixing in a blender - a real hassle to me.

I had a pack of low calorie Gatorade in the buggy and this guy had the nerve to say "you need to put that back, it's nothing but expensive salt water!" I can understand the guy wanting to make a sale, but he had the audacity to say I needed to put back the merchandise I was buying. I was just stunned for a few seconds, then told him to shove his product where the sun doesn't shine in front of a few other customers. I couldn't believe he would want to step on a potential customer's toes like that.

Are sales people getting more pushy or is it just me?
Gee, thought this was going to be about Used Car dealers!! RIPOFF

Old 02-14-2016, 03:07 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Wow, a lot of halo-polishers on here!

If some sales dude tries to be slick and calls out my shopping choices in front of a group of people, well that group of people will hear my reply back to him. I guarantee you my reply will also be quick, sharp, and not something he wants to hear. But, since he initiated it, I'm more than happy to finish it.

Over-react? No, just responding in kind. He's the one being paid to impress, not insult.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went to Costco this afternoon to stock up on some things. They often have vendors offering samples of various products, and on my way out, I ran across a guy whipping up some sort of super concentrated vitamin water type thing. There were samples available and I stopped to try one. It tasted fine, but came in an expensive powder he was mixing in a blender - a real hassle to me.

I had a pack of low calorie Gatorade in the buggy and this guy had the nerve to say "you need to put that back, it's nothing but expensive salt water!" I can understand the guy wanting to make a sale, but he had the audacity to say I needed to put back the merchandise I was buying. I was just stunned for a few seconds, then told him to shove his product where the sun doesn't shine in front of a few other customers. I couldn't believe he would want to step on a potential customer's toes like that.

Are sales people getting more pushy or is it just me?
You're trying to generalize out of ONE single incident? I think it's a far bigger problem today trying to get sales people who can answer questions about products. Many stores today are devoid of visible employees other than cashiers (and maybe security) and they rarely know anything about the products their stores sell.

I agree that pointing out your purchase was somewhat rude, but it's a very unusual occurrence. In fairness, you DID take one of the man's samples, so you left yourself open to conversation. I go to Costco once a week and I've never had anything like that happen to me. But then again, I never take the free samples.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't think the guys demonstrating the Vitamix blenders are Costco employees. They are far more animated than the usual sample people.

I'm with you Jukesgrrl, I never take the samples, unless they are individually wrapped. But if I did, I would feel obligated to be at least pleasant to the person offering them.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
... I totally understand wanting the electrolytes. I wish there was another way to get electrolytes into the bod.
Pedialyte or a generic version. The generics are cheaper than Gatorade and serve the same purpose. Many also have less sugar than Gatorade. (Gatorade now has Gatorade2 which also has less sugar.) Target has its own version of Pedialyte as do stores like Walgreen's and CVS. They are usually found in the aisle with baby products.

You can now also buy water infused with minerals. I find drinking that helps with leg cramps at night, the main reason I need a product like Gatorade. My supermarket carries a brand called Alkaline 88 (supposedly "infused with Himalayan minerals"). Sounds crazy and in general I object to buying water when I pay for it to be delivered to my home, but it does help me with my muscle cramps.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
I would be bothered on the fact that people working for and in stores are trained NOT to look into a person's basket, not to make comments on their choices when they do see things. I teach my kids the same thing being a customer, you don't look into other people's baskets. Its an invasion of privacy. So that is what would have bothered me.

I wouldn't have gone off though. On a normal day I would have just ignored it, a bad day I might have made a snarky reply. But asking him to shove his product up his...well thats a little over the line.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I'm with those who say you overreacted. It would have been enough to simply walk away saying, "no thanks." What would you say to someone who actually insulted you? I think your reaction in Costco was in that league, and I don't think the salesman insulted you. He was too aggressive, but walking away shows your feeling well enough, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships