Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:15 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.
You're being bullied, and discriminated against. And the teachers, shamefully enough, seem to be inciting certain students with bigot tendencies and low IQs to harass you. Join the club. Lots of people have been discriminated against and hated on in this society throughout it's history. It seems to be the norm. And I'd wager in this case the people picking on you are all probably "enlightened liberals". And I'd wager most of them are white. You should talk to a lawyer or find a Catholic school to attend. Or, just suck it up and look forward to graduating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
How do all of these classmates know about your religion? That is my question, too.

I have known several people who were very devote Christians but they were not teased because they did not go around talking about religion incessantly. Even when they did things like quietly pray before they ate meals they did not make a "big deal" about it.

Frankly, I suspect that you make a "big deal" about religion and talk about it all the time.
Well gee.... when the teachers are making fun of her in class for wanting to be a nun.... duh.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:29 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And how would a modern person know for a fact that the Bible is true and God exists?
The religion forum is elsewhere....

Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
This sounds like typical high school bullying to me. Most 12 and 13 years olds are obnoxious about something, if religion was your thing, you were probably obnoxious about it.

When you finish high school in a couple of months, use the lesson you've learnt there and keep you religious opinions to yourself. Make friends based on real things, and keep churchy stuff for church.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Meh...I would ignore them. They continue because they're jackasses that know it bothers you.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:42 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
I'm the least religious person I know. I'm Italian/Irish which are two very over religious types of people and went to Catholic school for my first couple years of schooling which is probably why I'm fed up with it till this day but if that's what you want than don't let ANYBODY tell you it's a stupid choice. It's YOUR life!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
Oh dear

OP you are very serious about your Religion. So serious that perhaps you should consider Entering The Life?

Also I was educated by nuns who I adored. Mainly because they never, ever even mentioned Jesus, Religion, or even their own Devotions.

They were Sisters of Mercy and their Priority was Education and Care, not Conversion or Preaching. It was all part of the devotion thingy - they didn't HAVE to spout their personal beliefs because they were Secure in them and God told them they weren't in the business of Conversion.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Well, I was picked on unmercifully in High School and Junior high school because of my religion. I was bullied from the 5th grade on and there always seemed to be another tormentor waiting when one was finished. What you described is relatively minor when I remember what I went through. If the Lords work is what you choose in life, than nothing anyone says should dissuade you from your path, just look at it as a test the Lord has chosen for you. I am currently on vacation in Bogota Colombia where churches are packed on Sundays and you can't find a seat and during the week the masses are well attended. I feel God is near me when I go to the churches maybe its the vibe of "true believers" where the church isn't tainted by scandals and the Lords work is an honor.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:55 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
You are young and idealistic. It seems like your teacher's and other's reactions are boorish and awkward ways of trying to suggest that you should explore life a bit before you decide on the religious life.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
This sounds like typical high school bullying to me. Most 12 and 13 years olds are obnoxious about something, if religion was your thing, you were probably obnoxious about it.

When you finish high school in a couple of months, use the lesson you've learnt there and keep you religious opinions to yourself. Make friends based on real things, and keep churchy stuff for church.

Na. Her opinions are just as valid as yours, and don't need to be repressed. But... on the flip side, be prepared to accept the consequences of free speech, and be aware that the fascists are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships