Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:23 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You know how many people say they get a "bad vibe" from a person?

I do not understand,maybe because that does not happen to me?
I do not get vibes.

I always thought it was an excuse for some people to discriminate against another based on appearance,personality,etc.
"Vibes" can sometimes be explained by subtle cues that we pick up on from other people, that we may not be aware of. How a person's words don't align with their actions, or something even more subtle: subtle body language or tone-of-voice cues that send subtle signals about a person. We sometimes pick up signals from people that are so subtle that it's below our awareness; it's more subconscious. Then we say we "got a bad vibe" from someone. Or alternatively, someone may be in a good mood, exuding a subtle glow that we're not consciously aware of, but we feel good in their presence.

That sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think the phrase originated in the 60's/70's when talking about the energy, or vibrations (vibes) that people give off. As others have said, it's about listening to your intuition and feelings about a person or situation. If you meet someone who objectively appears generous and kind, but you have a feeling that they're not as nice as they seem, you're getting a "vibe" off of them.
Yes. This is a good explanation. For most of us, "vibes" is a more of a metaphor than an actual experience of vibrations or energy. It is simply a way of saying to pay attention to your feelings about someone, because your "gut" or basic feelings are often right.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,308 times
Quote:

I do not get vibes.

I always thought it was an excuse for some people to discriminate against another based on appearance,personality,etc.
Nope. Some people just aren't "right". Often times it has nothing to do with how they look, but something they say or how they react to something.

Everyone has instincts, we are conditioned to Ignore them. Be Nice At All Costs.

I never ignore mine, not ever. Ive learnt the hard way. I am still perfectly polite, but some people just leave me cold. A lot of them goodlooking, btw.

I used to actually work in Fraud and now come to find a lot of what I did was simple statement analysis and body language. I wasn't a magic lie detector I was just Advanced in Reading Subtleties, which is now becoming mainstream detection. Back in my day, it was called Your Gut. I even can do it over the phone which I find Interesting. I know when someones lying, almost automatically. Suspect its not me being Fabulous, just detecting a subtle change in tone or response due to Years of Experience.

It doesn't mean I automatically discriminate against them btw. Ive had people tell me the most Appalling Lies to my face and Ive been empathetic because I can see so clearly the desperation that is compelling them to do it.

Its the people who live their lives inauthentically by choice, that give me the heebie jeebies, not the Obvious Liars.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Most human communication is nonverbal, and I suspect when people talk about the negative "vibes" they get from someone they're referring to some mismatch between body language, tone of voice, and the words being used.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
Quote:

I do not get vibes.

No, it's not an excuse to discriminate.

Some of us pay more attention or see situations being repeated, or you just get a bad feeling about someone.

Animals are good at this, the brother in law the family dog never liked turns about to be an abuser.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:39 AM

446 posts, read 710,688 times
I get vibes from people. And I've learned to trust those vibes.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:17 AM

714 posts, read 749,230 times
Quote:

I do not get vibes.

Do you have Asperger's, by chance?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,936,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I do think that often vibes come from something the subconscious has picked up that the conscious mind hasn't registered. For example, say you get a bad vibe from a stranger who is trying to convince you he is telling you the truth. Your subconscious may have noticed that the stranger won't look you in the eye except for quick glances or that he is using the same phrases when he talks that dishonest people in your past have used.
I'm a very honest person but I often don't look at people in the eyes when speaking to them because I'm nervous. I wish people would ignore their gut feelings - half the time they're wrong.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I'm a very honest person but I often don't look at people in the eyes when speaking to them because I'm nervous. I wish people would ignore their gut feelings - half the time they're wrong.
You have no way of knowing what the other persons gut feeling is...

There is such a thing as ascribing other people feelings you cant possibly know about. Its called Paranoia.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Most human communication is nonverbal, and I suspect when people talk about the negative "vibes" they get from someone they're referring to some mismatch between body language, tone of voice, and the words being used.

Or, via the phone - a contradiction in their tone vs what they are saying

Or a slight hesitation where the answer should be immediate

Its actually EASIER for me to do it over the phone because I don't get distracted by things like hand waving and tears and small children standing mutely by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships