Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:50 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times

Advertisements

FYI, when your phone is set on DO NOT DISTURB, you can set it so that certain numbers are able to get through or that they can get through with multiple attempts. These settings can help you get your rest and be notified if there's an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
FYI, when your phone is set on DO NOT DISTURB, you can set it so that certain numbers are able to get through or that they can get through with multiple attempts. These settings can help you get your rest and be notified if there's an emergency.

That's interesting. Is this for an Android or iPhone?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Sort of, but as to the food situation.

A lot of older people get to the point that they're afraid they'll die with food left, so I somewhat understand the "no food" thing.

When my mother was alive she'd have me get her some stuff when I visited, even when she was in assisted living where she had a small refrigerator and microwave.

She have me pick up cheese, crackers, Pepsi, stuff like that. She would always complain that the jars were too big, there were too many bottles in the 6 pack and so on. The statement was always, "It will go to waste if I die without eating/drinking it".

I know that's counter intuitive but there are some strange thought processes out there.

The last 6 pack of Pepsi had three bottles left, by the way.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Now that I have no one depending on me for anything, I'll let my battery run out and not worry about it; no call is going to be urgent. When I was a caregiver for my elderly mother and also a landlord, I never let it out of my sight. Responsibilities! Sounds like you are in a position to be called upon to help needy relatives so, if you want to help them when needed, leave it on? Just explain and apologize, if you feel so inclined. Sounds like your mother is maybe a bit overwhelmed caring for her parents and was a little freaked that she couldn't count on your support after assuming you'd be available... Ty!

Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's interesting. Is this for an Android or iPhone?
I know it's on iPhone, not sure about android.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:14 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Came home little after midnight after working 16 hour's. Phones on silence till 930 in the morning. Received 8 phone calls and 2 text from my mom going on about an emergency. Grandparents lost power in a storm last evening. Mom calling that they are stuck can't get out of the house. They have no food. They can't be left alone it's an emergency. I can't reach them.

I go so what's the emergency. Mom hangs up on me says thanks for nothing your Uncle is going over in text.
I assume that your mother meant that there was no food that did not require cooking with electricity. However, if the power went out in the evening, it would have been after dinner, so I don't see a food emergency requiring food delivery in the middle of the night.

That said, your response was unnecessarily rude. You had had a good night's sleep without phone interruptions. As your grandparents still apparently could not be reached by phone, you could have offered to go check on them. They may even have wished to leave if their house was very cold. Your response conveyed that you did not care.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
My impression isn't that they were upset that OPs phone was off...its because when they did reach OP and tell him what was happening, rather than offer to go check then, he said "so what's the emergency?" implying he wasn't going over, so Mom said forget it, your Uncle will go. I don't know where they live from you, but I will say whether or not OP went or not, the answer DID sound snarky. IMO OP should have said "I understand but I am exhausted, can anyone else go?" rather than the "so what" answer to his own mom about his own grandparents.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Need more info.

Are your grandparents disabled? Can they not venture out on their own?
Why can't your mom or her siblings be the ones to check?
Does your mother expect you to be at her beck and call for most things?
How often do things like this come up?
Why is there no food in the house?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:36 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
If you are the only one who can save your grandparents when there is a snowstorm and they have a temporary power outage, they need to be in some sort of home. There are lots of facilities that provide all kinds of services for seniors -- they shovel all the walks, make sure they have food, check on them, etc. If you are working 16 hour shifts, and no one else is capable of handling the grandparents, other arrangements need to be made.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
This was a fine example of the phrase "Sh*t rolls downhill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships