Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 03:12 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Whaaaaat?!?!

A therapist because dog owners(not you specifically, ok? ), one of the most selfish sect of society currently, urban quality-of-life terrorists--feel a need to show off their lifestyle accessories? No. A letter writing campaign to your local pols asking them to enforce/enact laws to keep them out of populated areas. Just because your dog "has never bit anyone" we don't want it jumping on us or acting aggressive. We don't want to hear him barking all night, we don't want to keep walking through our town like its mined with IEDs because you dont use that little spoon you carry entirely for looks. IF you live in an urban area, please consider a hamster, ok?

I think you are getting a little over jazzed here....LOL. We have gone from an irrational fear of dogs to urban terrorists that bark all night and bite and jump....hmmm.....go back to your science fiction book

Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
The annoying thing about this whole thread is that people actually think their dogs are like people - that they are predictable and won't bite, just because they have never bitten anyone. ANY dog can bite, no matter how friendly. When my son was young, and very fearful, he was bitten by a relative's dog. The relative did not believe me, even though my son had tooth prints. An otherwise fine family dog will often go after a younger, weaker, child, who is not part of the family. That happened again a few years later. Someone had a rescue dog they claimed was just so sweet, but it attacked my son. Really attacked. I had to fight the dog off. My son was not trying to touch the dog or even looking at it. It came up behind him as he walked past. You don't know your dogs, people - you only think you do. Dogs are not humans. Keep them on a leash.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:27 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Whaaaaat?!?!

A therapist because dog owners(not you specifically, ok? ), one of the most selfish sect of society currently, urban quality-of-life terrorists--feel a need to show off their lifestyle accessories? No. A letter writing campaign to your local pols asking them to enforce/enact laws to keep them out of populated areas. Just because your dog "has never bit anyone" we don't want it jumping on us or acting aggressive. We don't want to hear him barking all night, we don't want to keep walking through our town like its mined with IEDs because you dont use that little spoon you carry entirely for looks. IF you live in an urban area, please consider a hamster, ok?
WOW! You need help. Anyone that has so many issues with dogs needs to seek therapy.
Everyone that suggested the OP get the child some help, it is because the child cannot spend her life in fear, it is more for her benefit than the dog. I'm scared of birds, I find them beautiful and I've learned to deal with my fear, do I expect birds not to fly because I'm scared of them? No, I found ways to help myself deal with it, for my benefit, not the birds. They don't care.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The annoying thing about this whole thread is that people actually think their dogs are like people - that they are predictable and won't bite, just because they have never bitten anyone. ANY dog can bite, no matter how friendly. When my son was young, and very fearful, he was bitten by a relative's dog. The relative did not believe me, even though my son had tooth prints. An otherwise fine family dog will often go after a younger, weaker, child, who is not part of the family. That happened again a few years later. Someone had a rescue dog they claimed was just so sweet, but it attacked my son. Really attacked. I had to fight the dog off. My son was not trying to touch the dog or even looking at it. It came up behind him as he walked past. You don't know your dogs, people - you only think you do. Dogs are not humans. Keep them on a leash.
I could suggest the same to most parents. Some kids terrorize dogs and dogs can be fearful of children for that reason. I'm sorry but most parents don't know or choose not to know their children too. I love kids, but they need to be taught how to treat animals. Maybe your precious son did something to the dog or maybe the dog was just fearful of children in general. I know my dogs but I know that I can't predict the future, that is why I don't ever say they would NEVER bite anyone. Is say they have never bitten anyone. And honestly, after reading most of this thread, I prefer my dogs to people any day of the week!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:39 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, her daughter does actually need help. It's not good to have a debilitating fear that can actually increase her chances of being attacked.

Not every dog she encounters is going to belong to someone. One day she may come across a stray dog, and if she flips out, the dog could react with more aggression.
Nonsense. Is that the paint by numbers answer to every issue - "So and so needs therapy/help"? Give me a break. Many of us have debilitating, unresolved fears. It took me over 20 years to resolve my fear of dogs. Part of the reason for my fear was that I never had any positive experiences with dogs. The one experience I had wasn't pleasant. The recommendation posters gave of maybe introducing the child to therapy dogs was good advice. I'm still scared of water, though I regularly use my pool. Such is life. She doesn't need therapy. It would be good for her to interact with (calm) dogs but she doesn't need any professional help.

Besides, that isn't the point here. The point is responsible dog ownership - by having your animal leashed and heeled. As a dog owner, I've seen far too many oblivious fellow owners. Your dog should NOT be jumping on people. In addition, if your dog is agitated and barking loudly, you should remove it from the stimulus. Isn't that the mantra preached to parents who have wailing children and/or children running amok? Whoever said that this same type of dog owner is also the same type of parent is on to something because I think it's true.

A kid can act like a kid in a public space without having a dog charging up. If a dog isn't in a dog park, he should be restrained. If your dog flips you off and ignores your commands, please do everyone a favor and not bring it to the public, and even worse have it unleashed.

I really feel for the OP's daughter. To an uninitiated child, a boisterous dog can be very unsettling.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Whaaaaat?!?!

Not all dogs that her daughter will encounter will belong to someone. It's not always a matter of "urban quality-of-life terrorists", whatever the eff that means. There will be times when she'll come across a stray dog. So yes, the OP needs to help her daughter to deal with her debilitating fear, otherwise she will flip out at the sight of a dog, who will then react with more aggression.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:42 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Nonsense. Is that the paint by numbers answer to every issue - "So and so needs therapy/help"? Give me a break. Many of us have debilitating, unresolved fears. It took me over 20 years to resolve my fear of dogs. Part of the reason for my fear was that I never had any positive experiences with dogs. The one experience I had wasn't pleasant. The recommendation posters gave of maybe introducing the child to therapy dogs was good advice. I'm still scared of water, though I regularly use my pool. Such is life. She doesn't need therapy. It would be good for her to interact with (calm) dogs but she doesn't need any professional help.

Besides, that isn't the point here. The point is responsible dog ownership - by having your animal leashed and heeled. As a dog owner, I've seen far too many oblivious fellow owners. Your dog should NOT be jumping on people. In addition, if your dog is agitated and barking loudly, you should remove it from the stimulus. Isn't that the mantra preached to parents who have wailing children and/or children running amok? Whoever said that this same type of dog owner is also the same type of parent is on to something because I think it's true.

A kid can act like a kid in a public space without having a dog charging up. If a dog isn't in a dog park, he should be restrained. If your dog flips you off and ignores your commands, please do everyone a favor and not bring it to the public, and even worse have it unleashed.

I really feel for the OP's daughter. To an uninitiated child, a boisterous dog can be very unsettling.

Am I missing some posts where dog owners are suggesting that dogs jumping on people is ok? I have not seen any, but, clearly certain people are reading them???? Maybe you could direct me to those posts that I'm clearly missing. Thank you!!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I didn't say she needs therapy. I said she needs help. And she does. In this case, that help should come from her parents. It could involve a therapist is her parents decide that the fear is that severe. But it doesn't have to. Give me a break! Help does not always mean therapy.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:45 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I could suggest the same to most parents. Some kids terrorize dogs and dogs can be fearful of children for that reason. I'm sorry but most parents don't know or choose not to know their children too. I love kids, but they need to be taught how to treat animals. Maybe your precious son did something to the dog or maybe the dog was just fearful of children in general. I know my dogs but I know that I can't predict the future, that is why I don't ever say they would NEVER bite anyone. Is say they have never bitten anyone. And honestly, after reading most of this thread, I prefer my dogs to people any day of the week!
Of course, there's the other side of the coin in which the humans are the offending parties. That's a given. I agree with you that children need to be taught how to interact with animals. I've done that. There's no way I'd allow or encourage my children to approach a dog unless the owner initiates. To me, that's both respect and a safety measure.

In the case of the OP's daughter, she didn't directly instigate interaction at all. The loose dog charged up at her.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
This entire thread is odd - even the title. Why does it have to be a either/or -- either the dog or the kid? Neither are going anywhere any time soon.

I also don't agree with the mom's 'It's her problem' stance. I mean...really? You aren't going to help her? Isn't that your job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships