Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

Anyone watching Treetop Rescue? These are guys that volunteer to go out and rescue cats trapped in trees. Sometimes the cats are happy to see them and purr, other times the cats hiss and try to bite them.

These guys wear two types of gloves. One kind is more like a glove you'd wear for going out in the cold and this might just be for their safety in the trees, I don't know. In the case of a cat that actively tries to bite them during the rescue, they don the typical, heavy duty leather gloves to make sure they don't get bitten or clawed up.

I've worked with a lot of feral cats, mainly taming them down. Wouldn't you know it's the one thing I do very well and I can't list it on a resume. LOL Anyway, I never used gloves, but then I never grabbed them, either. If I in any way had to scruff or hold these cats, I would be wearing heavy duty gloves.

I think it just depends on how you feel the cat is going to react in a given situation. One of the feral cats I tamed would let me pick him up occasionally. And I've seen perfectly friendly cats who were raised and loved as kittens turn into a yowling tigers the minute they got into a vet's office. So when it comes to gloves, I don't think it has anything to do with experience or how much you work with cats, but it has everything to do with the cat and how he reacts to what's being done to him. Groomed, vaccinated, whatever.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sadly it isn't true. When my son was in this position I can't remember one dog owner leashing their dog. We were at a playground once and a dog came running over to the swings. My son was terrified jumped off the swing and ran towards me. The owner just said "he's friendly don't worry'. That is the standard line. Unless you have a child that is in this situation it truly is hard to understand.
They wouldn't have qualified as a respectful dog owner now would they?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I like dogs.

I have NO interest in seeing your dog in a store.

Especially a store where I buy food, but really, any product where you dog is likely to touch, and then I am likely to touch.

Sadly a LOT of people don't make the investment.....grooming, vaccinations, worming, fleas, ticks, etc. Not to mention peeing on the displays! I just don't wish to be exposed to them.

Leave your dog home. It is NOT cute seeing your dog in the store. It is a sign of you not being concerned about anyone but yourself.
What do you think of buying fruit & vegetables that have been walked on with filthy bare feet, or maybe have been slobbered all over ?

When I worked at Squalmart I actually witnessed "parents" allowing their children to do these things. Then put the vegetables/fruit back for the next unsuspecting customer to touch.

When we (the workers) saw such horrible behavior we would immediately remove the tainted food. But keep in mind workers are oftentimes busy, so there's no telling how much sullied food has been purchased by unwary customers.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Anyone watching Treetop Rescue? These are guys that volunteer to go out and rescue cats trapped in trees. Sometimes the cats are happy to see them and purr, other times the cats hiss and try to bite them.

These guys wear two types of gloves. One kind is more like a glove you'd wear for going out in the cold and this might just be for their safety in the trees, I don't know. In the case of a cat that actively tries to bite them during the rescue, they don the typical, heavy duty leather gloves to make sure they don't get bitten or clawed up.

I've worked with a lot of feral cats, mainly taming them down. Wouldn't you know it's the one thing I do very well and I can't list it on a resume. LOL Anyway, I never used gloves, but then I never grabbed them, either. If I in any way had to scruff or hold these cats, I would be wearing heavy duty gloves.

I think it just depends on how you feel the cat is going to react in a given situation. One of the feral cats I tamed would let me pick him up occasionally. And I've seen perfectly friendly cats who were raised and loved as kittens turn into a yowling tigers the minute they got into a vet's office. So when it comes to gloves, I don't think it has anything to do with experience or how much you work with cats, but it has everything to do with the cat and how he reacts to what's being done to him. Groomed, vaccinated, whatever.
Feral cats, pulling cats out of trees, dealing with combative cats ... sure, that might be reason for wearing gloves. But the other poster's initial assertion wasn't speaking specifically to these situations. Just that people wear gloves when handling cats in general.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that a small child--not even school aged yet--needs therapy. It's probably not that difficult to avoid most dogs and react appropriately when you do see one. She'll learn how to treat dogs and probably just outgrow her fear. I grew up with dogs and have never cared for them much. I've met a few that were very sweet but I never want a dog ever. Don't get her one until she wants one, because if she hates it you're stuck with it. Dogs deserve loving homes.
Yeah, therapy would be overkill here. At her age, fears are natural. But, I think her parents should let her see them interacting with friendly dogs as often as they can, and let her realize dogs can be loving companions. I also agree that getting a dog would be unfair to both the daughter and the dog, until the child is on board.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:36 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Nonsense. Is that the paint by numbers answer to every issue - "So and so needs therapy/help"? Give me a break. Many of us have debilitating, unresolved fears. It took me over 20 years to resolve my fear of dogs. Part of the reason for my fear was that I never had any positive experiences with dogs. The one experience I had wasn't pleasant. The recommendation posters gave of maybe introducing the child to therapy dogs was good advice. I'm still scared of water, though I regularly use my pool. Such is life. She doesn't need therapy. It would be good for her to interact with (calm) dogs but she doesn't need any professional help.

Besides, that isn't the point here. The point is responsible dog ownership - by having your animal leashed and heeled. As a dog owner, I've seen far too many oblivious fellow owners. Your dog should NOT be jumping on people. In addition, if your dog is agitated and barking loudly, you should remove it from the stimulus. Isn't that the mantra preached to parents who have wailing children and/or children running amok? Whoever said that this same type of dog owner is also the same type of parent is on to something because I think it's true.

A kid can act like a kid in a public space without having a dog charging up. If a dog isn't in a dog park, he should be restrained. If your dog flips you off and ignores your commands, please do everyone a favor and not bring it to the public, and even worse have it unleashed.

I really feel for the OP's daughter. To an uninitiated child, a boisterous dog can be very unsettling.
The child is afraid of dogs in stores and on leash. It's an irrational fear. That needs to be addressed, or the child will go through life fearful of that (and other things), always expecting other people to put their dogs and other things away just because she's fearful of them.

But dogs outside should be on leash (outside of a dog park), and I wouldn't hesitate to tell a dog owner that. If they don't do it, and there's no one nearby to report it to, I'd leave. Being fearful of a free roaming dog IS a rational fear, since dogs react by instinct and can, and do, do harm to people and other dogs.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.
All fears are not irrational.
True. But I asked about phobias, not fears. Wouldn't all phobias, by definition, be irrational?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
True. But I asked about phobias, not fears. Wouldn't all phobias, by definition, be irrational?
Irrational is the definition of phobia:
Phobia | Define Phobia at Dictionary.com

Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are sounding self-centered imo
The fact is, if a store owner wants to allow dogs, it is their right and you can chose to avoid their store.

I'm not unsympathetic, in fact I am afraid of some dogs...not all. But, I would simply face my fears, knowing the dogs are leashed if I wanted to continue to shop there..or I would shop elsewhere.

After all, as a human you have many choices, dog owners do not.

Now this thread is not about you or I. It is about a small child that has had some frightening encounters with some uncontrolled dogs..and she's developed real fear.

OP..Have you considered visiting your local dog shelter. I'm sure they would allow you and your daughter to socialize with puppies..and you could graduate to small dogs as your daughter's fear subsides.

It is a controlled environment...it would give her a chance to see how leashed dogs don't run at you and jump onto tables, and frighten you.. She can also learn how to feel around "normal" dogs and will realize those couple bad experiences aren't the norm.

I think it would help her a lot.
Not quite. I posted earlier that here in Southern CA I see(not all the time) people, usually women with small dogs in places like Target and Trader Joes.

No one is saying anything to them because I don't think the workers are really paying attention. They're busy ringing up people and don't see a woman who has a purse and a small dog. Now the dog is in the store and they don't want conflict when they do finally notice it. Usually at the check out line.

IMO, I don't think they belong in the stores. I love dogs but as I posted earlier the one I saw in Target had an accident on the floor, while the girls did clean it up I don't think they were going to but a couple of us saw it.

So it's not a matter of avoiding stores who allow it. I don't think they're paying attention and when they do notice it, it's too late.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:07 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have had dogs my entire life, I have tons of friends with dogs, and I worked at an animal shelter walking and playing with stray dogs. Number of dog bites: 0.
My son was bitten by a dog on a play date. Other boy's mom and I were right there. Other mom even had the dog on a leash. The boys came around the corner laughing and the dog lunged forward and bit my son's chest.

We've volunteered many hours in our local animal shelter. No bites.

My parents were walking their dog (on a leash) in their neighborhood, and he bit the hand of a runner who jogged by (requiring stitches.)

Had a neighbor who was a veterinarian and his daughter had a scar on her face from when the family dog bit her while she was sitting on the floor playing.

Another friend's daughter was bitten (requiring stitches) by a trained police dog. The host dad was a police officer, and had worked with the dog for years. It just suddenly bit this little girl who came over to play.

I've never been bitten by a dog. I've never been stung by a bee either. But it doesn't mean those things don't happen unprovoked everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships