Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 11:50 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
OK, dogs in stores apparently is becoming the norm.

Problem is my daughter is deathly afraid of dogs. It's annoying to us as parents as we have to pick her up if there is a dog within 100', but now that she is getting bigger and soon will enter public school, it will become a problem if she doesn't outgrow this issue.

I've had two social issues that have been a little hard to handle "correctly".

Instance #1: On hiking trail, stopped at a hiker's break area with picnic tables. Daughter is sitting on top of picnic tables. Another hiker with dogs off leash approaches, and dogs get excited to see daughter and scamper up on top of picnic table. Daughter freaks out as she doesn't want dogs running toward her.

Instance #2: In store today. Dog enters store. Daughter gets nervous. Dog starts to bark at daughter.

How would you handle either of those two situations? Especially the dogs in stores situation.
No animals should be allowed in a store...period...EVER.

Last edited by jp03; 03-11-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 11:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
No animals should be aloud in a store...period...EVER.
Yes. They should be quiet.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:31 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. They should be quiet.
I fixed it lol..

How about allergies? You know what it's like to have your eyes watering or chest tightening because some insensitive clod feels he/she is entitled to bring their dog or cat wherever they go?

Old 03-11-2016, 12:54 PM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Although frankly, a hiking trail in a wooded area sounds like a perfect place to let a dog get some exercise off the leash.
This is where my thinking is at. What benefit is it to the dog to take them into stores? It's not an environment deisgned for dogs. They aren't welcome to romp freely, chase after, explore or get into things. I think it would be more of a hassle to have your dog in Home Depot, making sure they're not touching items, bothering people, getting in the way of carts, etc. All while you're trying to look for what you need to make your purchases.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
I'd rather people bring the dogs in the stores than leave them out in the hot car!! I've rescued one female pit bull from a hot car here in Houston in the middle of AUGUST. ughh.....

I work at the blue big box store on the weekends. I'd rather have pets in the store than kids actually. The pets tend to be more well behaved. I'd rather help clean up a small pet accident than hear a little brat kid screeching their guts out because mommy won't let them hold the paint card samples.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:14 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
I fixed it lol..

How about allergies? You know what it's like to have your eyes watering or chest tightening because some insensitive clod feels he/she is entitled to bring their dog or cat wherever they go?

The fact is we cannot bubblewrap the world. If you need to buy one of those germ bubble things to go out in then do it.

Frankly, I'm sick of all that crap. Sick of OTR medications you can't open once your fingers are past a certain age (without great difficulty), sick of car doors that lock automatically, sick of all the other stupid BS the nanny state decrees to protect the idiots of this planet and the entitlement that follows..."EVERYONE MUST CATER TO MEEEEEEEE !!!!

Nope ! Stick your delicate self in a bubble and stay there for all I care.

Oh, and some folks are allergic to children, can we bar them as well from stores ?

Old 03-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This is where my thinking is at. What benefit is it to the dog to take them into stores? It's not an environment deisgned for dogs. They aren't welcome to romp freely, chase after, explore or get into things. I think it would be more of a hassle to have your dog in Home Depot, making sure they're not touching items, bothering people, getting in the way of carts, etc. All while you're trying to look for what you need to make your purchases.
Plenty of children already do those things. You should rank on them. Dogs basically just want to be with you. They don't generally care about interacting with other people or touching things.

BUT...I can tell you if they DO touch anything that their paws aren't snot encrusted like most kids hands are.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
. I think it would be more of a hassle to have your dog in Home Depot, making sure they're not touching items, bothering people, getting in the way of carts, etc. All while you're trying to look for what you need to make your purchases.
My kid tries to do that.
My dog is at a heel.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Felony assault. Nice.
What would you call the kids attack on the poor dog ? Also, keep in mind that those parents likely will demand the dogs head on a platter because Sneauflakke was traumatized for life, while said brat gets the usual dispensation for provoking the dog and absolution from any sort of responsibility concerning that dogs LIFE.

Also, I think protecting our family members from attack is a part of the responsibility for having a companion animal. Would you expect someone to just stand there and let some child continue to manhandle a family member of YOURS ?

Old 03-11-2016, 01:24 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
I fixed it lol..

No but I do know what it's like when some insensitive clod feels like puffing a cancer stick or god forbid weed and feel sick to my stomach or coughing violently
Guess what I deal with it...why say anything to them? People can do what they want. If I complained about everything that bothered my senses no one would be allowed to do anything.
Or if you want something more serious a lot of food people would sell aggravate my stomach, should I complain to the store and tell them sell food that is delicious affordable and safe for my stomach? Or if it's super hot outside should I tell the people at the park to put on a water streamer for me because my stomach is feeling sick? Yes there may be no essential reason to bring a dog wherever you go but as someone else said people with life threatening allergies to a dog are the minority and if the store is dog friendly simple don't go in it. Just like if I go to the fair and I would complain about the cancer sticks being puffed nearby.
If you're having a health problem you complain to your doctor. And for the record I'm one of those people who generally leave my dogs at home but I have a live and let live attitude. It's one thing if they put the dog directly in your path and you tell them it's aggravating the allergies that's different but I would think that's not happening here.
Not to mention are you including pet stores? Are you saying animals should never go in a pet store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I'd rather people bring the dogs in the stores than leave them out in the hot car!! I've rescued one female pit bull from a hot car here in Houston in the middle of AUGUST. ughh.....

I work at the blue big box store on the weekends. I'd rather have pets in the store than kids actually. The pets tend to be more well behaved. I'd rather help clean up a small pet accident than hear a little brat kid screeching their guts out because mommy won't let them hold the paint card samples.
Me too I find it so sad when I see a dog in the car. I would never leave my dog in there by themselves even in the cooler weather if I could avoid it. I have dogs and if it came down to me leaving them in there or taking them in the store...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships