Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:39 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All your wife hospital calls could have been easily handled by landlines.

Same with son.

Your subversive cell phone behavior didn't save the day or anything.

And btw, that hospital your wife was at probably had a no cell phone rule for the nurses working there.
I disagree. If they'd called a landline they might not have reached me as quickly with other people using it also. Besides why should a hospital or nurse have to keep track of someone's home number and cell number and work number and spend time hunting them down when they can instead just call the one cellular number and be done with it? Why bother with all of that? Also, if personal calls are a problem, why be OK with landline personal calls but not cellular ones? What difference does it make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I disagree. If they'd called a landline they might not have reached me as quickly with other people using it also. Besides why should a hospital or nurse have to keep track of someone's home number and cell number and work number and spend time hunting them down when they can instead just call the one cellular number and be done with it? Why bother with all of that? Also, if personal calls are a problem, why be OK with landline personal calls but not cellular ones? What difference does it make?

I'm not saying it isn't faster to call a cell.
Just not necessary like you make it sound.
All that could have and would have been dealt with just fine without your precious cell phone.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Near the end of her stay one day they called and said "she's being released today, if you can get here before 5 she can go home today instead of Monday" (it was a Friday and they didn't do any releases over the weekend) and I high-tailed it on over there
I'm skeptical of this...I have vast, vast experiences with hospitals...DH was in and out a LOT in the last months of his life. They most definitely discharged on weekends.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Call first, always. It's simply polite.

I'd hate to drop in on someone I know while they were in the middle of, well, some sort of domestic drama, or a family brawl, or a fight with a neighbour, or what-have-you. Geez, anything could be happening when you drop by unannounced. Or maybe that's what your husband is thinking anyway? The possibility of some easy, "surprise" entertainment?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 PM

160 posts, read 163,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All your wife hospital calls could have been easily handled by landlines.

Same with son.

Your subversive cell phone behavior didn't save the day or anything.

And btw, that hospital your wife was at probably had a no cell phone rule for the nurses working there.
I do NOT have land line and if I have my phone on me ( not using it) I could get fired for it.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
In the good old days, before they worked outside the home, some women, generally the well-to-do, would have a certain day of the week they were "at home" and their friends knew they could drop in between the hours of X and Y without calling ahead. They would get a cup of tea and dispense the recent gossip and not stay very long because they had others homes to drop in on.

Of course they also had servants who would answer the door who knew who to let in the door and who to tell "Madam isn't receiving", kind of what a secretary does for the boss nowadays.

I'll bet this custom still lives on in the South, not including Florida, because you never know who'll open the door with a gun in their hand in Florida.

I never drop-in on anyone, family or friends, without a call well in advance, isn't that why telephones were invented?
Nor do I answer the door unless the person knocking/ringing is expected. It's never Publishers Clearing House with a big check, never good news.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:24 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
I personally don't mind when friends and/or close relatives drop in. My rule is, if my car is outside, I am obviously home. Stop by if you've got the time to catch up and shoot the ---t! I'd do the same.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:11 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,850 times
I won't answer the door. And if they text me outside the door, I'll ignore that as well. Then next time I see them and they ask about it, I'll tell them that I ignored them. The drop ins stop

Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
You know who comes to my door with no call first?

Scam artists.
People running for local political offices. (Wait - maybe those are the same thing.)
Door to door sales people.
Kids selling stuff for school.
Next door neighbors with some sort of question about a property line, a tree, the HOA, or some sort of neighborhood something or other.

I open the door for the last two. The others - no way. Basically, if you're over 16 and I don't know you - I'm not opening the door.

As for friends or famiy dropping by - I can't remember the last time a friend or family member came by without calling or texting first. Reading this thread makes me even more grateful for their good manners.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:16 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know who comes to my door with no call first?

Scam artists.
People running for local political offices. (Wait - maybe those are the same thing.)
Door to door sales people.
Kids selling stuff for school.
Next door neighbors with some sort of question about a property line, a tree, the HOA, or some sort of neighborhood something or other.

I open the door for the last two. The others - no way. Basically, if you're over 16 and I don't know you - I'm not opening the door.

As for friends or famiy dropping by - I can't remember the last time a friend or family member came by without calling or texting first. Reading this thread makes me even more grateful for their good manners.
I agree. We also get (rarely) stray missionaries in suits. Although last time they did, there was such an uproar about young men who disregard no trespassing signs that the guys will probably not set foot here for a long time!

We do have a neighborhood facebook page that helps us deal with a lot of issues - kids selling stuff for school, people giving away stuff - so we really don't have much in the way of unexpected traffic from neighbors. It happens, but we all respect each other here, which is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships