Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
They made you sleep in the garage? Was the place so full up that there was no room elsewhere?

It sounds like there are some pieces missing. If everyone else knew to make sleeping arrangements, why didn't you? Do you think it was intentional?
The cabin was so tiny it didn't take long to fill up. But yes, I agree that it was weird I was not informed of the sleeping arrangements when others seemed to know about it. And for the rest of the people responding, results assured, I don't plan on going there again. I just thought of this the other day when a coworker talked about their cabin and it made me chuckle thinking of the ridiculousness of that outing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
years ago a similar situation happened to me,,,, I peed on the tent and then left for home,,

very inconsiderate!
I'm guessing you haven't gone on outings with them since then?

Old 04-02-2016, 03:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
That's ridiculous. When you invite someone to a cabin, you provide a place for them to sleep. Otherwise, they should have invited you "camping." I would have left.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:22 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Having been through something similar, where we were told we would have accommodations and after a long day of driving, arrived to find we didn't, I can assure you that this behavior is indeed rude and bizarre. In our case I'm pretty sure it was a deliberate insult -- and I don't often say that. It was not an oversight or accidental "oops, we invited too many people."

As a consequence, I don't trust the person who arranged this to order so much as a cheese pizza any more.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM

387 posts, read 555,073 times
That is absolutely unconscionable. I feel that sometimes these days people forget that they are supposed to act like hosts. If I were in that situation, I would never ask someone to sleep in the car, and I would have made sure there was an air mattress and a spot in the cabin, or not invited an extra person.

Perhaps there was an awkward situation where one of the two people accidentally invited an extra person more than there was room for (or there was a tag along, which we have had happen to us), but in that instance, we have always figured something out last minute, like bringing a tent ourselves, or just getting into "party mode" and cramming everyone into a small room and pretending like it is 1880 and we are in the Meat Packing District.

In truth, if that had happened to us, my husband would have had us back in that car and headed home so fast my head would be spinning.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 PM

330 posts, read 228,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I was invited to visit some family friends at their cabin a while back. They said to bring a sleeping bag and pillow. I didn't think too much of it and had met some other friends the day before. I was then informed I would be sleeping in my car as there was no room in the cabin (I had never visited and soon saw how TINY it was). It's also worth noting that other visitors had RVs and tents. The owners of the cabin acted very inconvenienced when I had mentioned that there really isn't room in my car to sleep and then were "gracious" enough to allow me to sleep on an air mattress in the garage. Aside from the fact that they could have just told me to bring a tent, which I gladly could have done, I thought the whole thing was so rude and bizarre I haven't been back since. Am I completely off base and unreasonable thinking this was bizarre and rude? Am I that high maintanence? Is inviting someone to a cabin and saying they have to sleep in their car a thing? So many questions.
I would've drove home.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:12 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
That's crazy.

Hard to believe they couldn't find one inch of floor space INDOORS for you to put your sleeping bag.

But, even then if I have so many guests that people will be required to sleep in the floor, on sofas or air mattresses, I inform them ahead of time.

I cant imagine telling a guest to sleep in their car under any circumstance or even the garage for that matter.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
This reminded me of an incident about 20 years ago when my supervisor decided to invite all 20 of his subordinates to his house for a week of training as a retreat instead of holding the training in the office (and getting constant interruptions).

Well we all go to his house as his wife was leaving for work and she said, "remember no one goes into the house". OOPS!

We shortly found out that the training was going to be cramming all of us on his small cement slab 'patio' with some on folding chairs, some getting to sit on fire wood and some on the cement. After the first day we all brought our own folding chairs so no one was without a chair!

Worse part was when someone wanted to use the restroom--we were told to go into the garage to use the facilities. The first person returned and said to go one at a time with a snicker. Well when I went I found out why everyone was snickering. There was NOT a bathroom in the garage, but a toilet mounted along a wall open to the garage and a filthy, oily/greasy sink next to it. And even worse to absolutely no privacy was that the toilet and sink likely were never cleaned since they were installed. But since we had to go there for a week, we cleaned everything the second day just so it was not sooooo gross to use it.

Now that I am older, I would just refuse to have the training there and would get everyone together to agree...but in those days we just all did what the supervisor told us to do.

The next year we all agreed to have the training at a local park and in the office, but NOT at his house!

Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
I would stand there in disbelief until I regained my composure. Then, I would offer a few words about their complete lack of manners/knowledge of civilized social customs, apparent but misplaced hostility toward me, and then leave. I've never heard of such a thing!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:01 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
This reminded me of an incident about 20 years ago when my supervisor decided to invite all 20 of his subordinates to his house for a week of training as a retreat instead of holding the training in the office (and getting constant interruptions).

Well we all go to his house as his wife was leaving for work and she said, "remember no one goes into the house". OOPS!

We shortly found out that the training was going to be cramming all of us on his small cement slab 'patio' with some on folding chairs, some getting to sit on fire wood and some on the cement. After the first day we all brought our own folding chairs so no one was without a chair!

Worse part was when someone wanted to use the restroom--we were told to go into the garage to use the facilities. The first person returned and said to go one at a time with a snicker. Well when I went I found out why everyone was snickering. There was NOT a bathroom in the garage, but a toilet mounted along a wall open to the garage and a filthy, oily/greasy sink next to it. And even worse to absolutely no privacy was that the toilet and sink likely were never cleaned since they were installed. But since we had to go there for a week, we cleaned everything the second day just so it was not sooooo gross to use it.

Now that I am older, I would just refuse to have the training there and would get everyone together to agree...but in those days we just all did what the supervisor told us to do.

The next year we all agreed to have the training at a local park and in the office, but NOT at his house!
What a strange experience.

Still don't quite understand why folks were too flabbergasted to insist the rest of the week's training be held somewhere with appropriate bathroom facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships