Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 AM

72 posts, read 108,232 times

Advertisements

So we moved closer to my wife's family and we are invited to family events. As her husband, the invitation also includes me. I am part of the package as her daughter/sister's husband. My wife is invited because she is family and they think it is the right thing to do. (She is family.)

But the strange thing is there is no real conversation or attempts to be friendly once we arrive. They treat me like I don't exist and my wife is not really acknowledged or respected. The mood is oddly anti social. There is very little conversation at the dinner table. Any attempts at bringing up conversation topics are usually either ignored or die a quick death. No one in the family seems to like each other and act like they don't want to be there.

Should we continue to attend these events because, well... it's family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:38 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
If your wife wants to go, you go.
They are her family, and it sounds like she needs your support.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
They treat me like I don't exist and my wife is not really acknowledged or respected. The mood is oddly anti social. There is very little conversation at the dinner table. Any attempts at bringing up conversation topics are usually either ignored or die a quick death. No one in the family seems to like each other and act like they don't want to be there.
I don't know how old you are, but if you haven't realized this by now, you may in your 40s when you start feeling twinges of a midlife crisis: Life is too short for that.

Maybe you and your wife could drop by for limited amounts of time on major holidays if you are invited, in a "making the rounds" kind of way that implies you also have other people to visit that day, but other than that, I wouldn't make too much of an effort. If your family is out of town, you can also alternate holidays with visits to them.

In other words, just do the bare minimum necessary to remain in the will.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
I know that feeling,, but what I did just forget every ones else, if they talk to me or say hi to me , respect disrespect what ever , I enjoy the food and drinks and I keep my self busy with filling my tummy and tasting stuff so..... At the end no one knew where I was, or what I did ,why I was there so in case if you need a tip saying so. life is short eat delicious stuff before too late Just saying.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
Nope, when in laws are unfriendly and dont really want to talk to you, it's better to not associate with them , just dont go, why visit them if your not even welcome?

they have already shown they dont really like you and dont respect you, dont waste your time.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
So we moved closer to my wife's family and we are invited to family events. As her husband, the invitation also includes me. I am part of the package as her daughter/sister's husband. My wife is invited because she is family and they think it is the right thing to do. (She is family.)

But the strange thing is there is no real conversation or attempts to be friendly once we arrive. They treat me like I don't exist and my wife is not really acknowledged or respected. The mood is oddly anti social. There is very little conversation at the dinner table. Any attempts at bringing up conversation topics are usually either ignored or die a quick death. No one in the family seems to like each other and act like they don't want to be there.

Should we continue to attend these events because, well... it's family?
Just need to point out that you are family too. If you and they don't acknowledge this, it may be part of the problem.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,820,589 times
You already have multiple threads on this same subject. How many more responses do you need ?

Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You already have multiple threads on this same subject. How many more responses do you need ?
Depends on how many alter ego usernames

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
When invited, go. A few hours of being uncomfortable is nothing.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Depends on how many alter ego usernames
Apparently, an endless supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships