Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokes on YOU View Post
Why don't you tell your brother how you feel, if he cares about you he'll understand. Maybe it's me but I wouldn't want my brother at my wedding or any where else if he didn't want to be there.
If he reveals his feelings on marriage, the brother may be so outraged he will uninvite him to the wedding. Wait that's perfect! Tell him OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:32 AM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm a male and I don't really understand marriage/weddings. Frankly, I don't understand why people get married.

I don't want to deal with the fuss. Family members are supporting the wedding but it seems like it's making them a little too chaotic and I want to avoid this. I'm cool with my brother but it's not like we hang out. So I'm thinking about avoiding the wedding. I support their marriage and I'm fine being there for them after the wedding.
One word, selfish. It's not about what you want or care for.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:34 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Why don't you tell your brother how you feel, if he cares about you he'll understand. Maybe it's me but I wouldn't want my brother at my wedding or any where else if he didn't want to be there.
I doubt that big bro will understand that lil' bro's immaturity precludes him from attending the most important day (so far) in big bro's life. If he had any excuse other than "I don't get it", he might get a pass on it, but the OP just comes across as whiny and self-absorbed because he doesn't want to be married. Guess what? It's not all about you, OP!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I doubt that big bro will understand that lil' bro's immaturity precludes him from attending the most important day (so far) in big bro's life. If he had any excuse other than "I don't get it", he might get a pass on it, but the OP just comes across as whiny and self-absorbed because he doesn't want to be married. Guess what? It's not all about you, OP!
OP has plenty of time to make up a creative believable excuse.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
OP has plenty of time to make up a creative believable excuse.
I have so many smartazz replies I'm dying to post, but I don't want to get banned.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 7,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We all know that no matter what his reasons were all of you would have still compared him to candyman, so there is no point in making excuses.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Why would they be thinking about him, he is not getting married.

Because it is human nature to wonder why isn't the brother here. No different than at a funeral really. The father dies and one adult child isn't there, people will talk about it.

Only valid excuse I can think of is if the OP and the brother live far apart, and it would be a big expense that the OP couldn't afford to get there. But they never mentioned not living close by, it's very selfish not to go.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
If you don't want to go don't go, and never let anyone tell you your feelings don't matter on your decision. Any one who says this does not care about you.
If only the world and family relationships were that easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You stay you want to avoid "chaos" but not attending a sibling's wedding is a BIG drama move. It'll be seen as you trying to get attention onto yourself, to cause a lot of drama. There will be 100+ people asking "where's the brother? why didn't he come? Oooh, it must be some juicy story! whisper whisper whisper." So if your motivations you state are true, the outcome will be the opposite of what you seem to want.
Yupp, I'll be honest the wedding I don't want to go to, for me, a big reason to go is because I'm in the photos and for however long their marriage lasts it would be a family wedding picture without me in it. That just didn't sit right with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Because it is human nature to wonder why isn't the brother here. No different than at a funeral really. The father dies and one adult child isn't there, people will talk about it.

Only valid excuse I can think of is if the OP and the brother live far apart, and it would be a big expense that the OP couldn't afford to get there. But they never mentioned not living close by, it's very selfish not to go.
Yupp, it's easier to go, maybe enjoy the open bar (responsibly) and then come home than it would be to explain to my family why I'm not going. And my reasons are lot better than I don't believe in marriage and I don't want to go.

I'm not going to this wedding for myself, I'm going because I'm an adult and I recognize the importance of a wedding in the family.

How old are you?

Old 04-29-2016, 12:36 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If only the world and family relationships were that easy

Yupp, I'll be honest the wedding I don't want to go to, for me, a big reason to go is because I'm in the photos and for however long their marriage lasts it would be a family wedding picture without me in it. That just didn't sit right with me.

Yupp, it's easier to go, maybe enjoy the open bar (responsibly) and then come home than it would be to explain to my family why I'm not going. And my reasons are lot better than I don't believe in marriage and I don't want to go.

I'm not going to this wedding for myself, I'm going because I'm an adult and I recognize the importance of a wedding in the family.

How old are you?
I looked up some of his other posts and he claims he's 33..

old enough to know better..

Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 PM

26 posts, read 7,598 times
If your listening, I would not go and whoever is upset because of it thats their problem to deal with. It's not like they have to come to your wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships