Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:37 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times

Advertisements

She is being unreasonable. It's time for you to move. And if you still want/need a roommate situation, don't live with another couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
And this behavior would be worse if you had the girlfriend and she was single.
I agree, time for physical distance and healthier boundaries. Your boundaries seem healthy, hers are not. Her anger and control issues are not healthy, and may cost her friendships. links for sharing with her. good luck
http://www.essentiallifeskills.net/p...oundaries.html
http://psychcentral.com/lib/10-way-t...er-boundaries/

Old 07-05-2016, 02:42 PM

258 posts, read 347,754 times
Why is everyone on this thread telling OP to move out? Isn't that running away from the problem instead of fixing it? Clearly, OP values his relationship with his friend a great deal. He has also spoken about this issue with his friend - another suggestion that everyone is repeating.

My two cents - she is not being creepy or needy. Just that there has been a change in the dynamics of her friendship with OP (and the time they used to spend with each other) and feels that OP has become more distant. This happens sooner or later in literally any relationship. Perhaps in a way, she is even feeling guilty that she is neglecting her friendship because she herself is spending too much time with her boyfriend. So is instead urging OP to spend more time with her and her boyfriend, and "hang out" more.

My suggestion would be a gentle but firm approach. Tell her this is going to be inevitable and they will have to work out the new dynamics together, and that it doesn't mean their friendship is falling apart. And it often helps if you actually spell out the stuff - about why OP's friend is doing this. And it could very well be that your friend continues to complain a few times. If you do treat her as your sister, then treat her like one. Let her complain but you continue to do what you think is right, and discuss it with her rationally but firmly. She will get the message after a few protests.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:45 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Talked with her again today and she apologized for being so possessive. She's been on some new meds that have been causing her severe mood swings not just with me but other people as well (I didn't know this until just now). She said she's going to work on it.

We'll see...

Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Tell her you have a life outside of your apartment and do not need her permission to live that life.
Also tell her you do not feel the need to entertain her boyfriend.
This.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
She likes having two "husbands" paying attention to her.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

Talked with her again today and she apologized for being so possessive. She's been on some new meds that have been causing her severe mood swings not just with me but other people as well (I didn't know this until just now). She said she's going to work on it.

We'll see...
Glad it has been addressed. Maintain an arms length approach with her though. Let your new behavior in doing your own thing be the moniker moving forward. More is said silently thru behavior than her words.

She really does seem controlling...and that is a reflection on her...sad really.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

We'll see...
Hopefully it is all worked out now. Sometimes we women can get emotional if our hormones are messed up and some meds will do that to us.

Keep us posted on how it all plays out.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 PM

97 posts, read 90,215 times
Hi I read your OP and it really resonated with me for some reason. Thought I'd share my insight. Hope its helpful:

I think the issue is being caused by the nature of your relationship with your friend. Although she is "like" a sister to you she's not actually your sister. She is actually just a really really good friend, who you have a close relationship with. And the thing about friendships is not all are forever-- in fact very few friends will be with us until the very end. It's very normal for her as a 31 yr old adult woman to be spending the majority of her time and energy with her partner and perhaps building a future with him. As a result it's a natural progression that her other relationships will take a back seat. Likewise it's very normal for you as a 31 yr old adult man to have numerous friends and potential partners. You aren't committed to your friend because you've known each other for 12 good+bad years. It could be time to reevaluate yourselves and move in your own directions. Not with any bad vibes and feelings, but just a desire for each to live the best life that they can, even if that's without each other.

The awesome thing about healthy sibling bonds is regardless of how much time has passed between speaking- when you see each other there's always that same consistent relationship and love. You have an understanding that no one is competing for that relationship or space in each other's heart. So there's less of a possessive and unstable relationship. You will both know no one can replace your place in their life. If she's truly a "sister" to you then this will stand true. If it doesn't then you probs wanna reevaluate the true foundation and nature of your friendship.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
You people are 31 years old? Is there some compelling reason all of you need to live under the same roof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships