Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,520,528 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you and your friend are at very different places in your life right now. Your friend felt like you didn't support him in the way he wanted; you feel like he behaved childishly. I was never much of a partier, even at 21 when I graduated college. I was always pretty responsible. Most of my friends were similar to me, so we were a good match. It seems that your friend and you have grown apart. In five more years, you may grow closer to one another again. Life is all about the ebb and flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,099,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No, you don't seem to have a work-life balance because you, at the ripe old age of 22, think this party is beneath you, and you wouldn't make an exception for one night, to stay out just a little later to celebrate your friend. You wouldn't even go hang out in the same room as him.

Going to bed by 10 on work nights is mature. Making an exception to celebrate with your friend is balance.
I think being a floor away from the rest of the party is odd. His 12 year old cousin and the cousin's friend were in the room next-door, also avoiding the adults. Now that's age appropriate. Not at 22.

And that's life interfering with work.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
My friend recently graduated from college. His parents throw a big party in their house and invited their relatives and coworkers. My friend invited around 6 people, all around our age (22). It was very much like a high school graduation party. The party was supposed to last from 5-8 and the relatives/coworkers adhered to that schedule. Most of the graduates friends arrived 7, and were planning to drink well into the night (on a Sunday). Even more bizarre was that the graduate/my friend and the friends the graduate invited all hung out in the basement away from the graduate's relatives and the graduate's father co workers. In fact when it was time to cut the graduation cake, I was the only friend of the graduate present. the rest were hiding in the basement. This was very typical of a high school graduation party, but I found it immature for a college graduation party. These relatives and friends just gave the graduate hundreds of dollars, and hiding away is a poor way to repay them. My friend also got angry that I left at 9, but unlike him and his friends, I have a real job that I can't arrive late or hungover to. None of my other friends had their parents throw them graduation parties for graduation college. Most of my friends were off moving into new apartments in new cities right after college. I found the whole party awkward to be honest. I've been a self supporting, working adult for a year now. It felt weird to hide away from adults like I did when I was 16. I even find having my parents throw a party in my honor to be awkward. College graduation is the point of adulthood.
It really doesn't matter if you felt that the party was appropriate, only that the honoree and his family chose to have one. I have to wonder why you bothered going. And you keep harping on how you are self- supporting, while neglecting to include the fact that you lived at home out of school while saving your money, or that your father gifted you with 20k for the down payment. I've lost count of how many threads you've made saying the same thing, and honestly, nobody cares. If you're content with your life, great. If your friend is content with his, admit you've got little in common, and find new friends.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It really doesn't matter if you felt that the party was appropriate, only that the honoree and his family chose to have one. I have to wonder why you bothered going. And you keep harping on how you are self- supporting, while neglecting to include the fact that you lived at home out of school while saving your money, or that your father gifted you with 20k for the down payment. I've lost count of how many threads you've made saying the same thing, and honestly, nobody cares. If you're content with your life, great. If your friend is content with his, admit you've got little in common, and find new friends.
I thought it would be a normal party where everyone interacts with each other. Not a party where you hide away from your Dad's co workers and relatives. And I am not harping on being an adult in this thread. For high school graduation, I went to a ton of parties like this where the teens hung out with each other and the adults hung out elsewhere. How is that not odd for a college graduation party?

Also when I lived at home, I paid my own bills, did 100% of the cooking and cleaning. It wasn't like I was living off them.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,529,519 times
Quote:
I thought it would be a normal party where everyone interacts with each other. Not a party where you hide away from your Dad's co workers and relatives. And I am not harping on being an adult in this thread. For high school graduation, I went to a ton of parties like this where the teens hung out with each other and the adults hung out elsewhere. How is that not odd for a college graduation party?
For someone who boasts about being in bed by 10 pm on work days....it's what 12:30 a.m. in Atlanta? On a Wednesday night..excuse me Thursday morning.

Quote:
My friend also got angry that I left at 9, but unlike him and his friends, I have a real job that I can't arrive late or hungover to.
Quote:
Sunday night. I left at 9. He wanted me to stay til midnight (I get up at 5:30 btw).
Quote:
This forum has great one liners, if you go to bed by 10 on a weekday and don't drink on a weekday, you must have bad work-life balance.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
For someone who boasts about being in bed by 10 pm on work days....it's what 12:30 a.m. in Atlanta? On a Wednesday night..excuse me Thursday morning.
I'm actually doing work. My promotion gave me new responsibilities like including delegating work to the team in India. One of our scripts isn't working so guess who gets to be involved with troubleshooting?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I'm actually doing work. My promotion gave me new responsibilities like including delegating work to the team in India. One of our scripts isn't working so guess who gets to be involved with troubleshooting?
But how will you ever get up at 5:30 then? Clearly you'll be fired for going in late.

Look, you just didnt want to stay at the party. Fine, there is no need to stay late, but that has nothing to do with your savings account balance or your job. Because you obviously CAN stay up if you really want to. For something you feel is important. Apparently this group of friends doesn't fall into that category. Mattie's recommendation is right on.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But how will you ever get up at 5:30 then. Clearly you'll be fired for going in late.
Clearly if I am working this late, I am not expected to be in at 7. There's a difference between staying up late because of work opposed to staying up late due to personal issues.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Clearly if I am working this late, I am not expected to be in at 7.
Not necessarily. People do work late and still go to work on time.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,031,344 times
Quote:
My friend recently graduated from college. His parents throw a big party in their house and invited their relatives and coworkers. My friend invited around 6 people, all around our age (22). It was very much like a high school graduation party. The party was supposed to last from 5-8 and the relatives/coworkers adhered to that schedule. Most of the graduates friends arrived 7, and were planning to drink well into the night (on a Sunday). Even more bizarre was that the graduate/my friend and the friends the graduate invited all hung out in the basement away from the graduate's relatives and the graduate's father co workers. In fact when it was time to cut the graduation cake, I was the only friend of the graduate present. the rest were hiding in the basement. This was very typical of a high school graduation party, but I found it immature for a college graduation party. These relatives and friends just gave the graduate hundreds of dollars, and hiding away is a poor way to repay them. My friend also got angry that I left at 9, but unlike him and his friends, I have a real job that I can't arrive late or hungover to. None of my other friends had their parents throw them graduation parties for graduation college. Most of my friends were off moving into new apartments in new cities right after college. I found the whole party awkward to be honest. I've been a self supporting, working adult for a year now. It felt weird to hide away from adults like I did when I was 16. I even find having my parents throw a party in my honor to be awkward. College graduation is the point of adulthood.
My college graduation was barely acknowledged. I was just asked if I had a job yet three weeks after graduation. While I didn't particularly care for that response, I don't think college graduation is as big of a deal as a high school, graduation.

On a different note, why is cutting a cake such a big deal at a party? I've never understood that tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships