Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,256,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Clearly in 2 years nothing changes.

I am pretty happy with my life. Thanks for playing therapist though. What creditials do you have again?
The facts you posted 2 years ago have not changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,528,004 times
Quote:

I always assume if someone has worked considerably longer than me, they would make considerably more. Whatever promotions were passed up, your base salary should still go up. I haven't read articles where people make less than what they started at when they were 22.
Yeah, except that's not always how it works. Which you will eventually figure out. You continue to look at life through two-dimensional glasses of time and money. There is so very much more to life. Honestly, you're a few years younger than my own children and their friends, so I'm very aware of what your peers are doing. I'll admit to being kind of astounded at the lack of....excitement, adventurous spirit, passion....that I see. Plans and responsible behavior is good but gosh, live some, love some, put yourself out there. Your bragging is annoying but your overall attitude is actually quite sad.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:18 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,099,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Your whole post has been about "Is this normal?" It is normal for a 22 year old to just have graduated from college, to have a party to celebrate, and to not yet have started a full-time job. It is normal for a 22 year old to want to live abroad or travel.

It is not normal for a 22 year old to scoff at going to a graduation party, choose to hang out with the parents instead of her peers, and leave early because she has to work in order to retire at 40.

And no, plenty of people are not financially independent at 40. A few are. What would be "normal" is working until you are in your 60's, then retiring.

Life is not a competition between you and your friend. You do it your way. Let him do it his way. But if you want to know what is "normal," it's not you.

Most of my friends (22/23) are either working full time at some corporate job or are in graduate school. the young people I work with fund their 401ks and hope to have financial security at a young age.

I am not scoffing at the party itself and I didn't spend that much time with anyone's parents. I still find it strange to hang out in a basement during a party. My parents threw a party in February. I didn't attend because I knew I would be bored. I wouldn't think to invite my friends (using the same invitation) and then hang out in my parent's basement and avoid the party altogether.

It's not like I told him, anything besides congratulations and well wishes. It's not like I pointed to the many financial articles that say you should invest in retirement as early as possible when he suggested I buy a sports car. It's his life. There's plenty of 22 year olds who aren't particularly forward thinking.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yeah, except that's not always how it works. Which you will eventually figure out. You continue to look at life through two-dimensional glasses of time and money. There is so very much more to life. Honestly, you're a few years younger than my own children and their friends, so I'm very aware of what your peers are doing. I'll admit to being kind of astounded at the lack of....excitement, adventurous spirit, passion....that I see. Plans and responsible behavior is good but gosh, live some, love some, put yourself out there. Your bragging is annoying but your overall attitude is actually quite sad.
60% or so of my peers are married or engaged and have real jobs. Maybe I should tell them the internet thinks we should quit our jobs and travel to asia to teach English.

I also can't find a single article that points to this apparently common phenomenon of making less than your starting salary.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
60% or so of my peers are married or engaged and have real jobs. Maybe I should tell them the internet thinks we should quit our jobs and travel to asia to teach English.
Yes, because that's exactly what I said.

I also can't find a single article that points to this apparently common phenomenon of making less than your starting salary.

Then it must not be true. If there is no article on the intetwebz detailing the phenomenon then clearly it doesn't exist.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Most of my friends (22/23) are either working full time at some corporate job or are in graduate school. the young people I work with fund their 401ks and hope to have financial security at a young age.

I am not scoffing at the party itself and I didn't spend that much time with anyone's parents. I still find it strange to hang out in a basement during a party. My parents threw a party in February. I didn't attend because I knew I would be bored. I wouldn't think to invite my friends (using the same invitation) and then hang out in my parent's basement and avoid the party altogether.

It's not like I told him, anything besides congratulations and well wishes. It's not like I pointed to the many financial articles that say you should invest in retirement as early as possible when he suggested I buy a sports car. It's his life. There's plenty of 22 year olds who aren't particularly forward thinking.
Really? Because it's the title of your thread and the topic of the OP.

Quote:

You know there are many different kind of jobs out there, right? And some of them pay far more than others? Do you not understand that concept? Your friend's mom doesn't make less than HER starting salary, she makes less than yours.

FWIW, I've been in the working world for 20 years, and you make more than I do, too. Does that make you feel good? I took time off to have kids, and went back to an entry level, lower stress position when I went back to work. Some things are more important than money.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:26 PM

42,026 posts, read 75,450,694 times
Quote:
woah is pretty common internet speak. and surprise, we're on the internet.
That doesn't make it correct.

"But I saw it on the internet, so it must be true!"

If you want to look uneducated, by all means go ahead and keep on misspelling common words.

Or, as my mother would say: "If everyone on the internet jumped off the cliff, would you jump, too?"

Quote:
I came here to ask if anyone else finds it odd that a 22 year old hid away in his parents basement during a party thrown in his honor. Because he was hiding away, the rest of his friends felt obligated to hide away too.
The answer was "no", but that isn't really the question you were asking. Instead, you're asking people to oooh and aaaah over how successful and mature you are. Which you are not, gauging from how you reacted when you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Quote:
I always assume if someone has worked considerably longer than me, they would make considerably more.
You have a lot to learn, Junior. So let your education begin:

Different professions have different pay scales. A social worker working for 20 years may not make the same as an entry-level computer engineer.

People switch careers, often to professions that have lower pay scales. Someone changing careers in middle age may indeed take a pay cut to start a new profession. It's also not uncommon for people working 20 or 25 years to start their own businesses. Not everyone works for money alone. You might understand that someday.

Quote:
I am not scoffing at the party itself
Of course you are.

Quote:
My parents threw a party in February. I didn't attend because I knew I would be bored.
Your parents' party wasn't for you; your friends' graduation party was for him. Big difference.

Quote:
There's plenty of 22 year olds who aren't particularly forward thinking.
Tell me about it.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That doesn't make it correct.

"But I saw it on the internet, so it must be true!"

If you want to look uneducated, by all means go ahead and keep on misspelling common words.

Or, as my mother would say: "If everyone on the internet jumped off the cliff, would you jump, too?"

The answer was "no", but that isn't really the question you were asking. Instead, you're asking people to oooh and aaaah over how successful and mature you are. Which you are not, gauging from how you reacted when you didn't get the answer you wanted.

You have a lot to learn, Junior. So let your education begin:

Different professions have different pay scales. A social worker working for 20 years may not make the same as an entry-level computer engineer.

People switch careers, often to professions that have lower pay scales. Someone changing careers in middle age may indeed take a pay cut to start a new profession. It's also not uncommon for people working 20 or 25 years to start their own businesses. Not everyone works for money alone. You might understand that someday.

Of course you are.

Your parents' party wasn't for you; your friends' graduation party was for him. Big difference.

Tell me about it.
Lol isn't in the dictionary. We still use it. It's called internet speak. Then again I guess you may be too old to use it.

Plenty of people here said it was odd to hide away and then left the conversion. The rest of you are probably having a terrible life so you project your own problems on me because I'm not wasting away my youth.

She has a PhD. I just find it odd that someone with a PhD and 20 years of experience makes less than someone with a bachelor's and one year of experience regardless of the field. She's been working for the same place for years.

A party for him that included his father's coworkers. Okay.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Lol isn't in the dictionary. We still use it. It's called internet speak. Then again I guess you may be too old to use it.

From the Urban Dictionary:

"Woah"

incorrect spelling of whoa

used to express the sudden realization of one's pathetic character and/or behavior
"Woah, I have nothing better to do with my time than to look up the misspelled word 'woah'."

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-14-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Plenty of people here said it was odd to hide away and then left the conversion. The rest of you are probably having a terrible life so you project your own problems on me because I'm not wasting away my youth.

She has a PhD. I just find it odd that someone with a PhD and 20 years of experience makes less than someone with a bachelor's and one year of experience regardless of the field. She's been working for the same place for years.

A party for him that included his father's coworkers. Okay.
Whoa or Woah: What

"There are two primary spelling errors that take place with the word whoa.

Woah (Incorrect)
Whoah (Incorrect)
Whoa (Correct)"

You said the party was for his graduation. That means it was for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships