Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:58 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,119 times

Advertisements

My friend recently graduated from college. His parents throw a big party in their house and invited their relatives and coworkers. My friend invited around 6 people, all around our age (22). It was very much like a high school graduation party. The party was supposed to last from 5-8 and the relatives/coworkers adhered to that schedule. Most of the graduates friends arrived 7, and were planning to drink well into the night (on a Sunday). Even more bizarre was that the graduate/my friend and the friends the graduate invited all hung out in the basement away from the graduate's relatives and the graduate's father co workers. In fact when it was time to cut the graduation cake, I was the only friend of the graduate present. the rest were hiding in the basement. This was very typical of a high school graduation party, but I found it immature for a college graduation party. These relatives and friends just gave the graduate hundreds of dollars, and hiding away is a poor way to repay them. My friend also got angry that I left at 9, but unlike him and his friends, I have a real job that I can't arrive late or hungover to. None of my other friends had their parents throw them graduation parties for graduation college. Most of my friends were off moving into new apartments in new cities right after college. I found the whole party awkward to be honest. I've been a self supporting, working adult for a year now. It felt weird to hide away from adults like I did when I was 16. I even find having my parents throw a party in my honor to be awkward. College graduation is the point of adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,781 times
Who doesn't love a party? And the parents paid for it? What's not to like about that?
Did the parents go downstairs and yell at Junior to get his butt upstairs and make an appearance? If not, then it was probably more of a party for the parents. The relatives most likely would have given money anyway.

What's the real reason for your post?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I don't know if there is a "normal." It certainly isn't abnormal to mark a graduation with a party.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Who doesn't love a party? And the parents paid for it? What's not to like about that?
Did the parents go downstairs and yell at Junior to get his butt upstairs and make an appearance? If not, then it was probably more of a party for the parents. The relatives most likely would have given money anyway.

What's the real reason for your post?
Actually, they did send a delegate to call him upstairs. I literally felt like I was back celebrating a high school graduation. Shouldn't one be a bit more of an adult at 22? He isn't "junior" anymore.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Actually, they did send a delegate to call him upstairs. I literally felt like I was back celebrating a high school graduation. Shouldn't one be a bit more of an adult at 22? He isn't "junior" anymore.
Why do you care? Are you a pinnacle of maturity? 22 is still young enough to be going out and having fun. He shouldn't have been rude to his guests, but I don't know why you are making a big deal out of this.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why do you care? Are you a pinnacle of maturity? 22 is still young enough to be going out and having fun. He shouldn't have been rude to his guests, but I don't know why you are making a big deal out of this.
Because I felt like I was being treated as 18 year old. I own my own condo. I hosted my own house warming party a few months ago. I work 9-5 as an engineer at a fortune 50 company. I pay my own bills. I have substantial savings (tens of thousands). I worked hard to get here, and I don't appreciate being treated as a child just because I am young. I have adult responsibilities. I am expected to have these responsibilities. My boss will fire me for showing up hungover. My utilities will be shut off if I prioritize fun. There's a serious double standard if you are expected to be self supporting at 22, yet get treated the same way an 18 year old is treated.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:44 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Consider the source and you'll have your answer.... Somebody didn't get her "atta-girl" star on the chart this week and everybody has to suffer.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Because I felt like I was being treated as 18 year old. I own my own condo. I hosted my own house warming party a few months ago. I work 9-5 as an engineer at a fortune 50 company. I pay my own bills. I have substantial savings (tens of thousands). I worked hard to get here, and I don't appreciate being treated as a child just because I am young. I have adult responsibilities. I am expected to have these responsibilities. My boss will fire me for showing up hungover. My utilities will be shut off if I prioritize fun. There's a serious double standard if you are expected to be self supporting at 22, yet get treated the same way an 18 year old is treated.
No one treated you like a child by inviting you to a party. No one needs to get fired because they went to a party. What the heck? Did going to this party somehow cause you to show up hungover or cost you so much money you couldn't pay your utility bill?

Lighten up. 22 years old is the perfect time to be balancing adult responsibility and weekend fun.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Consider the source and you'll have your answer.... Somebody didn't get her "atta-girl" star on the chart this week and everybody has to suffer.
No. It's like being forced to sit at the children's table during Thanksgiving despite not being a child. Then again, most of this is my fault. If I go to a party someone's parents are hosting, I can't expect much.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
I own my own condo. I hosted my own house warming party a few months ago. I work 9-5 as an engineer at a fortune 50 company. I pay my own bills. I have substantial savings (tens of thousands).
Ahhh..yet more bragging.

Quote:
I have adult responsibilities. I am expected to have these responsibilities. My boss will fire me for showing up hungover. My utilities will be shut off if I prioritize fun. There's a serious double standard if you are expected to be self supporting at 22, yet get treated the same way an 18 year old is treated.
If you believe that being an adult and having responsibilities necessitates foregoing having fun, or celebrating a friend's accomplishments, you are in for a long but boring life. You'll be sitting at home by yourself counting your money. Frankly, it sounds as if you're off to a good start.

Learn to have fun without a hangover as the result. Enjoy other people's successes, even if they celebrate differently than you do.

Good grief. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships