Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,881,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's so obnoxious.

The proper response to "You cut your hair" is and always will be: "Yes, I did."
Yeah... the Capt. Obvious thing IS passive aggressive... it's downright rude.

I keep trying to figure out how "Oh, you cut your hair!" could possibly be considered passive aggressive unless accompanied by a sneer from someone who usually gushes about her long beautiful hair or something.

It's seriously just an observation. People make them all the time. "Wow, it sure is hot." "Oh, you got a new car." "This line is so long!" "You cut your hair." I'm no great socializer, but these types of statements seem like human interaction 101 to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 02:49 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
I can't figure out how so many of you have met DH.

On first encountering me in the morning: "You're up!" Said in a tone of delight and bewilderment, as if this was scheduled to be the one morning in 21 years that I'd stay in bed all day.

Later: "You've got clothes on!" As if this, too, was a wondrous thing to behold.

"You've got a tag sticking out of the back of your sweater" or "You have a loose thread" or "You have a stray hair on your sleeve"

Then...

"You're feeding the cats!" "You're loading the dishwasher!" "You're making tea!"

"You're going/coming back from somewhere!" I have car keys in my hand.

I breathe a sigh of relief when he's finally off to work in the morning. It's like living under a microscope. To be under constant observation is exhausting. He did the tag/sweater thing to me so many times with a certain garment I took it off and threw it in the trash.

I do realize that blurting out everything one observes is a compulsion and there are worse ones to have. When I get really fed up I'll pull a large rubber mallet out of a drawer and say, "So what am I doing now?"

Old 08-19-2016, 04:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Not sure exactly how to word this, but how do you handle people who are either being intentionally vague/random or passive aggressive?

Examples:

I ran into my neighbor and he said, "wow, Bande1102, you cut your hair!" and then nothing. I ran into him again and he said, "wow, your is blonde!" and then nothing. It's weird b/c he'll keep standing there and wait for a response. I usually attempt to walk away and then he'll attempt to engage me about a real issue (a favor, wants to borrow something, etc).

I was at the pool and an acquaintance (I barely know her) said, "hey, Bande1102, I love your suit. I think one piece suits are more flattering".

Usually, I ignore them; but I'd love to have some witty comeback or something. I just don't get them. My compliments are honest and if I don't have something meaningful or nice to say, I stay quiet.
Well, since you just ignore them you are handling it the right way. People can be offensive, often without even knowing it. It sounds to me like they want to chat with you but that you make them nervous because they don't know how to engage you.

If you want to reframe things, just nod your head and say thanks.

Your habit of not saying anything is a passive aggressive response to their comments. It is what stops the dialogue. You sound unapproachable.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:08 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,996 times
I pride myself in not knowing the first thing about what the heck a passive aggressive comment is. Don't ever want to know any of that psycho babble either.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I pride myself in not knowing the first thing about what the heck a passive aggressive comment is. Don't ever want to know any of that psycho babble either.
Curious....Why comment at all then?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:04 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,948,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I totally get what you're saying. I'm never sure what to do with those types of "statements" either. Are they compliments? I can never tell.

I try to go for a faux-jolly, "Yep! I sure did!" Or "Yep! Me too!" (in the case of the one-piece comment) but it's awkward and often takes me by surprise. Then I have a moment of panic. My mind is going "what does that mean? how am I supposed to respond? Is this person just being a smart ass...?" But I'm afraid the panic and concern that flashes across my face just looks like bitchiness to the speaker of the bizarrely unfinished statement.

Worse though, someone I see on a regular basis does this sort of thing a LOT. Just makes statements. Throws them out there. Often the statements aren't about anyone present or related to the situation in anyway. He just makes some seemingly random statement and everyone else just awkwardly chuckles or hems and haws. I want to ask how he wants people to respond. But I don't think that would go over well.
Thanks--glad you get my point. I have thought about just throwing it back at them. ..like after they say, "you cut your hair!", I could say, "You have a beard!" .

Old 08-19-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Your habit of not saying anything is a passive aggressive response to their comments. It is what stops the dialogue. You sound unapproachable.
I disagree. I don't know what to say, which is why I don't say anything. I *wish* I came across as unapproachable.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's so obnoxious.

The proper response to "You cut your hair" is and always will be: "Yes, I did."
Eh, disagree. There is no required/expected response to a statement. If they said, "Did you cut your hair?", I'd answer b/c it's a question.

When you remark on someone's appearance (which I think is tricky territory anyway--really compliment them or leave it) and they seem confused or they don't say anything, you should jump in and reassure.

Example:''....because it looks fabulous!"

It's called courtesy.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
I disagree. I don't know what to say, which is why I don't say anything. I *wish* I came across as unapproachable.
Psychology disagrees with you
"Other examples of passive-aggressive behavior might include avoiding direct or clear communication...."

Your refusal to communicate comes across as p/a.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:20 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Quote:
Oh wow, all of these comments come from married men. I had not considered they were compliments. Thanks for another perspective.

I was at the pool and an acquaintance (I barely know her) said, "hey, Bande1102, I love your suit. I think one piece suits are more flattering".
This comment is from a married man???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships