Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,745,428 times

Advertisements

I don't keep in contact with my extended family members anymore. When I had seen any of them in the past 5 years, it had been because of attending funerals. I haven't initiated contact at all through phone, email, or anything else. I just don't want to.

I am barely on social media. I only had a linkedin and my aunt requested to add me there. I ignored. Then I had a blank facebook, I just used for the messaging. She sent a friend request. I also had a cousin I stopped talking to several years ago, who randomly tries to contact me. I completely ignore.

I don't know why they can't just respect that I am not interested in being in contact with them. I feel like this is at least on some level of harassment, not that I consider it illegal harassment, just them not respecting that I don't wish to be in contact. My reasons are mostly due to their pushiness and gossiping.

Maybe I'm just venting. I don't know what I can do besides ignore. I'm not going to message them and tell them to not bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I don't keep in contact with my extended family members anymore. When I had seen any of them in the past 5 years, it had been because of attending funerals. I haven't initiated contact at all through phone, email, or anything else. I just don't want to.

I am barely on social media. I only had a linkedin and my aunt requested to add me there. I ignored. Then I had a blank facebook, I just used for the messaging. She sent a friend request. I also had a cousin I stopped talking to several years ago, who randomly tries to contact me. I completely ignore.

I don't know why they can't just respect that I am not interested in being in contact with them. I feel like this is at least on some level of harassment, not that I consider it illegal harassment, just them not respecting that I don't wish to be in contact. My reasons are mostly due to their pushiness and gossiping.

Maybe I'm just venting. I don't know what I can do besides ignore. I'm not going to message them and tell them to not bother me.

Have you told them specifically that you don't want any further contact with them? If not, then you probably should do so. Until then, you can't really get annoyed if they try to stay in contact.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Have you told them specifically that you don't want any further contact with them? If not, then you probably should do so. Until then, you can't really get annoyed if they try to stay in contact.
I was going to ask the same thing. Did you just distance yourself or let them know you have no interest? I don't know your history, but it is nice to have family reach out to you.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:

Are you the guy that went on a work trip to your aunt's city and she got angry because you didn't contact her while you were in town?

I think the best thing to do is to just outright tell them you don't want contact.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Are you the guy that went on a work trip to your aunt's city and she got angry because you didn't contact her while you were in town?

I think the best thing to do is to just outright tell them you don't want contact.
No

Old 10-18-2016, 03:43 PM

I guess you guys are right. I should tell them, if it's an issue for me that I don't want them to contact me.

I was never close to the aunt. I didn't know her while growing up. I have only seen her at family gatherings, which don't happen anymore. So I don't think it should be a big deal if I don't stay in contact.

As for my cousin, we used to hang out for a few years. But not for maybe 7 years. She's super pushy. If I didn't say yes to one of her invitations, then she would argue with me about it. I'd keep on giving the reasons why I would pass on certain invitations (to nothing important), and if I pressed further on declining she would act offended. So I ended up just not answering her calls...forever. There's that and that she's a huge gossip. My father did tell her just to leave me alone a few years ago. That was nice of him.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:

I am barely on social media. I only had a linkedin and my aunt requested to add me there. I ignored. Then I had a blank sm page , I just used for the messaging. She sent a friend request. I also had a cousin I stopped talking to several years ago, who randomly tries to contact me. I completely ignore.

"I'm not going to message them and tell them to not bother me."...AND that is the reason they still keep doing it.Why don't you just tell them you don't want them contacting you and the reason why??That way they will stop and you will not have to be dealing with it anymore.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-19-2016 at 06:24 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 04:39 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
You sound pretty cold. I am sure you'll have no problems telling them you want to be left alone.

I don't have much contact to my extended family, maybe once a year, but I find it rather normal to want to stay connected within your own blood. I think it is neither wrong nor harassment, it is human nature. If you don't want to participate, fine, but I find your statement pretty mean.

I am not connected with any family members through facebook either. You can change your facebook settings so nobody can contact you. Or simply block them without sending them an offensive message.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You sound pretty cold. I am sure you'll have no problems telling them you want to be left alone.

I don't have much contact to my extended family, maybe once a year, but I find it rather normal to want to stay connected within your own blood. I think it is neither wrong nor harassment, it is human nature. If you don't want to participate, fine, but I find your statement pretty mean.

I am not connected with any family members through social media either. You can change your facebook settings so nobody can contact you. Or simply block them without sending them an offensive message.
I guess it can be seen as cold. But I didn't grow up knowing them. My parents kept me away from them until my late teens, even though they lived in the same area. So they never really felt like family.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-19-2016 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
I don't think it's necessarily cold. It sounds like you have good reason for keeping them out of your life, and your parent's must have thought so too. If ignoring doesn't discourage them, you may just have to tell them straight out, as has been suggested. I had a similar situation with one relative, and nothing worked until I wrote a brief letter saying I was not interested in contact with her. Some relatives can be toxic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships