Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:00 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,263,130 times

Advertisements

My late wife handled this type of thing so please forgive my ignorance.

The card in question reads: "Jack & Jill are registered at Macy's."

Does this mean that the couple is suggesting that I contact Macy's and purchase a gift card for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Generally it's considered bad manners to include registry information with the invitation, but that ship has probably sailed.

All it means is that they're registered with Macy's, so if you go to the Macy's registry website and type in their names, you can buy them a gift from a list that they've chosen, or you can send them a gift card. Or you don't have to do anything like that. The registry is supposed to help family and friends who want to give them a gift that they want, but it's not gospel.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Overlooking the fact that any mention of gifts, including where the couple are registered, should never be included with an invitation.....

What the card tells you is that if you are so inclined, you can go to Macy's (either in person or online) to see what the couple has registered for (indicated they would like) in the way of gifts. You are not obligated to do so but some people prefer to shop from the registry rather than give cash or a gift the couple may or may not want or need.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 PM

983 posts, read 1,057,354 times
Also, the registration tells how many of each item the couple needs, and how many of those items have already been purchased. This allows you to purchase a toaster, for instance, knowing that other people will not have already purchased toasters for the couple.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
If you want to use your own imagination to select a gift, you can, OP. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with the registry anyway, to make sure you're not duplicating something, like a coffee-maker, or whatever. But the great thing about Macy's is that they have sales constantly--every week, and much bigger reductions on holidays (like the Columbus Day sale they just had for 4 days). So you can get them something nice without spending a lot of money, if you can catch them during a sale.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,561,270 times
I suggest you quickly look at their registry online if you want to buy something with a reasonable price tag, before everyone else nabs the $20 items LOL.

But, don't feel like you have to choose something on their list, if nothing is left in the price range you're comfortable spending. They'll be thrilled with cash in whatever amount you want to give them - which is your best next option.

If you choose to buy something on your own, it would be nice to include the receipt with the gift, so they can return it in case they get 10 other toasters to go along with the one you bought, for example.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:29 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Don't buy an item they register for at a place they aren't registered. If they want a certain toaster at Macy's don't buy the same thing from Amazon. Then they will get 2 of the same.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
I had no idea it was bad manners to include location of the couple's registry in the wedding invitation. Speaking of wedding etiquette (or lack thereof,) my coworker recently got married and invited the employees from our small office (5 total) to the wedding. She had worked for the company many years, so we were a tight knit group and knew each other very well. It was going to be a lavish affair with 400 guests, and 4 of the 5 employees decided to attend. Until the bride-to-be informed us we were not allowed to bring our spouses or significant others and children; we could just attend ourselves. Apparently she had overspent on her wedding and decided a small way she could save a few pennies was to purchase fewer dinner entrees from the caterer. We were floored at the snub and only one of us decided to go, the only single employee in our group. It was ironic that a woman would uninvite married people's spouses to a celebration of her marriage

Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,263,130 times
Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as using my own imagination to buy gifts, that would be nice if I had any imagination.
Being imaginative in gifting was my wife's thing.

Went to the Macy's registry where the couple listed a gazillion items, with the most expensive being $400, followed by a $100 item, and the rest under $100. Incidentally, the $400 item was already "bought" by one of the invitees.

No, I'll just send them a check for $100 which is what I always do for wife's great nephews/nieces who tie the knot, graduate, etc.

But I'm curious .... some of you said that it's inappropriate to include registry information suggesting gifts along with wedding invitations. OK, but when is it appropriate to mention the types of gifts they need?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Typically, that information is provided word-of-mouth. An invitee would ask a the mother of the bride or groom or a member of the wedding party. To include it in the invitation is presumptuous. An invitation is a request for you to join in the celebration, not a gift grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships