Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:08 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,351,010 times

Advertisements

I have a cat myself. Khloe was a pregnant stray rescued from the streets on a frigid night several years ago. She's been with me during the ups and downs - when my wife left, Khloe comforted me in the days after. She is very loving and affectionate.

I'm trying to pursue a second career. I'm going to a workshop tomorrow evening and trying to learn as much as possible. I'm hoping to make money out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It's a Saturday afternoon, I'm sitting home watching college football (Go Clemson!) and missing a loved one or two who's long passed away. For those who aren't married or in relationships, and live alone, do you feel lonely? And what do you do when feeling so?
I have been playing a whole lot of chess, FWIW, though they're not the most sociable folks they are better than nothing.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,784,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It's a Saturday afternoon, I'm sitting home watching college football (Go Clemson!) and missing a loved one or two who's long passed away. For those who aren't married or in relationships, and live alone, do you feel lonely? And what do you do when feeling so?
Aww, hugs OP.

I can empathize.

I've struggled with loneliness most of my adult. Right now I do live alone and am not in a relationship. Most days are better than others. But I've more or less learned to suppress the loneliness and find ways to fulfill my quiet hours. I join local volunteer outreach programs, I go to a local bookstore, I call a friend, I someties meet people on meetup.com, etc, etc.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:46 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
To the people on here who write--when I moved to where I am and didn't know anyone, I found two writers groups on Meetup. One was more up my alley than the other, and I've been attending now for years. Get lots of encouragement in my project, and I've read and critiqued some interesting stuff.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:22 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,113,613 times
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is volunteering. Since MG passed away a few months ago, I've been busy with the details of his estate. That will soon be coming to an end, and there is an offer for the house.

The nights and weekends are my loneliest. In the morning, I'm getting ready for work, so my mind is busier. But on my way home from work tonight, for example, I was wondering what I was going to do with myself. I planned on raking more leaves, but because someone thinks turning the clocks back and forth (depending on the season) is a good idea, it is now dark when I get home, so raking was out.

Sometimes, I walk around home improvement or office supply stores because I have more enjoyment there than at a girly handbag store (I know, I'm weird). Oh, but getting back to my point, I have decided to volunteer for Wreaths Across America. It won't keep me busy weeks in and weeks out, but it's important to me, and I almost can't wait to do it. I want to start making a difference, no matter how small.

When I first moved back here, I volunteered at a place that took donated food and repackaged it for folks who were down on their luck. I thoroughly enjoyed that as well. And I tend to choose charities that I won't feel that I have to "lock in" specific days or times.

What I'm saying is that the OP isn't alone with those feelings, and volunteering is another option.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 PM

13,287 posts, read 8,480,864 times
When genuine loneliness hits....I acknowledge it. Then start journaling. Sometimes I find it puts things in perspective.

Sure volunteering does get the positive attributes flowing, then I realize I am avoiding the reality. That the person whom I miss is gone. So its sometimes okay to sit with that Lonely space and learn from it. Made me appreciate those whom are still valued and do keep in touch.

Blessings and strength be yours when in that moment.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,113,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
When genuine loneliness hits....I acknowledge it. Then start journaling. Sometimes I find it puts things in perspective.

Sure volunteering does get the positive attributes flowing, then I realize I am avoiding the reality. That the person whom I miss is gone. So its sometimes okay to sit with that Lonely space and learn from it. Made me appreciate those whom are still valued and do keep in touch.

Blessings and strength be yours when in that moment.
Yep, I think it's good to feel lonely, because it gives time to take stock of different areas of life.

I am pathetically uncreative (I guess I just made up a word), so I keep busy with working around the house (something always needs to be fixed, painted or cleaned).

There are days when I've had enough of most humans, so like others, reading (old-fashioned, real books for me) is a favorite to-do.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Yep, I think it's good to feel lonely, because it gives time to take stock of different areas of life.

I am pathetically uncreative (I guess I just made up a word), so I keep busy with working around the house (something always needs to be fixed, painted or cleaned).

There are days when I've had enough of most humans, so like others, reading (old-fashioned, real books for me) is a favorite to-do.
I read real books, too.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 6,463,641 times
I like to read engrossing books, or if the weather is nice, get outside and bask in nature. Sometimes I'll take a drive farther out in the country to favorite spots I know (like a really cool pond with a great waterfall), or even strike out for a new location just to see what I find. I never feel lonesome when I'm observing nature!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
we are born alone and we die alone,,,,, try to enjoy the path in between

with the internet their are many many activity groups..... and on facebook you can make up all the pages you want

whether you enjoy cribbage. scrabble, poker, walks,,,,make up a facebook page and seek likes/friends and guess what??? you will find many activity "companions" your age .

golf and fishing would take up much of my time
at the golf club I go to many single guys that love to play

life is a frame of mind.....frame it full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships