Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So do you plan to talk poltics around the dinner table on Thursday
Yes 15 20.55%
No 50 68.49%
I'm over it! 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:53 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times

Advertisements

I only eat with Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 03:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
As true as the sunrises...our t-day feast had one political remark.
After which we passed the blessing basket. Put things in real perspective. Just hope next year those blessings aren't denied us...in this new "era" of making America great.. .(again??).

Old 11-24-2016, 07:17 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
I didn't plan to, but I was hoping ... I overheard my mid-twenties nephew whining to his liberal father about how Trump's 'racist, didn't really win, etc.'

I chimed in with a few of my own opinions and the father immediately got angry and said "we're not talking about this!" The exchange was less than two minutes ... The three of them (including the nephew's girlfriend) then went to the corner of the kitchen to their safe space. The nephew had tears in his eyes ... I told them "No hard feelings, you win some your lose some and that I didn't cry about Obama when he triumphed in 2008." I did vote for him in 2012, though.

I think people who can't/won't discuss politics, race, religion and social issues have something wrong with them ... Hell, even if it gets heated, no big deal - share your damn views, this is America! The dinner table is the perfect place to discuss these topics ... Rules regarding what can and can't be discussed ... some people are a boring mess.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 11-24-2016 at 07:31 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 08:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am a liberal snowbird eating with snowbird friends, pretty sure they all voted for Cheeto-head. I hope politics does not come up, if it does I will excuse myself and leave. Not interested in getting into a p*ssing match with anyone.
Obviously.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:02 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,636 times
As expected, some of the men engaged in politics in the livingroom after the meal. It was all pretty much like-minded individuals, so there wasn't any contention. And it didn't get loud, either.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
NOT talking about politics or religion - good manners 101.

I don't understand why the rude people of the world think the rest of us want them to shove their opinions down our throats.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Ditto...I love my family, but no, I have already made it clear that when they're at my house for dinner, we avoid those subjects.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
I've read a couple of post Thanksgiving stories... How did the rest of you fare?

It was just hubby and I. No contention here.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I've read a couple of post Thanksgiving stories... How did the rest of you fare?

It was just hubby and I. No contention here.
I voted for a third-party candidate. But my father-in-law who feels that Rush Limbaugh is as liberal as Timothy Leary talks about politics all. the. time.

So every few minutes, he started rumbling about something else, and would get shouted down by my mother-in-law. Thank God. I'm not sure how I would have lasted five days without her doing that.

But, in truth, people who talk about politics all the time are really rather boring, one-dimensional thinkers. They're bores who can't talk about anything else. And they're narcissists to boot, because they think their opinion really matters.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
It actually went very well. I had already discussed ahead of time with my kids that if anyone starts talking politics, they are to keep their mouths shut. Only one brief comment was made, and the person that said it stopped herself and said "Let's not talk about that today."

Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I voted for a third-party candidate. But my father-in-law who feels that Rush Limbaugh is as liberal as Timothy Leary talks about politics all. the. time.

So every few minutes, he started rumbling about something else, and would get shouted down by my mother-in-law. Thank God. I'm not sure how I would have lasted five days without her doing that.

But, in truth, people who talk about politics all the time are really rather boring, one-dimensional thinkers. They're bores who can't talk about anything else. And they're narcissists to boot, because they think their opinion really matters.
I would tend to agree with the bolded. We had a smallish T day this year and one of the younger millennial kids started in on how awful Trump is blah blah blah, he's part of that helicopter parenting style generation and can't handle it when his team loses. I didn't vote for trump either, but I just keep my mouth shut and tried avoid the politics talk. He' part of the give me free stuff crowd that Bernie was pandering to.

Christmas is going to be the bigger problem as it's a much larger group and there are a couple of blowhard types that like to talk too much as it is already and I'm sure they voted Trump, which is fine, it's their choice, I just wished these types reciprocated that sentiment back to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships